Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500985 - 02/11/12 12:14 PM Meet Mr. Obnoxious [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Yonkers NY

The other night I dragged my weary bones on a homeward-bound 13. It was a low floor NABI and very crowded. In the back of the bus was a gentleman on one of the bench seats over the rear wheels. He had packages on the seats and was taking up no less than three seats. I asked him if he could move the white bag so I could sit down. He said no. No? At first I thought I misunderstood him. Or, since he was talking to someone on his cell phone, maybe he hadn't heard me. Then he looked up at me and angrily told me no he would not move the bag and I could sit someplace else.

I managed to squeeze in between two people on the bench seat at the rear wall. And then I snapped the guy's photo. See below, Mr. Obnoxious. haha (When I went into my backpack for my camera he got a little fidgety. Maybe he thought I was about to pull a gun?)

Hey he's on the Internet! grin

#500986 - 02/11/12 12:20 PM Re: Meet Mr. Obnoxious [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

This is a Bronx-bound 1C heading south through Elmsford. About 6:30PM and a run that gets both Orions Vs and Artics. Tonight it was an Artic. Plenty of seats on this bus! cool

#500994 - 02/18/12 04:41 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

My Friday morning trip was a little weird. I missed my regular 13 to Elmsford and had to take the next one. I ride this trip often enough to have gotten to know the 'regulars' who, like me, board at the Tarrytown Metro-North station. They are a small group of people from the Bronx mostly (Metro-North reverse commuters), who work in the office parks along Rt.119.

Friday none of them -- not one! -- was on the bus. Never saw that happen before.

I know them in the way commuters get to know one another. You don't know one another's name or exactly where they live, what they do. But you see one another, eventually you start saying good morning. Then you make a little small talk and pretty soon you begin to consider them friends.

Friday morning even the regular bus operator was missing! I wonder where they all were?

#500999 - 02/20/12 10:00 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Westchester, New York
I actually know one of the Route 20 drivers pretty well, since I seem to have seen him a lot. We're friends now. He normally does weekday trips on the 20/21. Of course, since the drivers are now about to be assigned different trips very soon, as he told me recently, it'll be a while before I find him again. I normally see him on a WP-bound 20 on Weekdays that normally reaches CPA & Palmer Rd @ 3:22 PM. And, I also see him on either the 9:30 PM Saturday trip out of White Plains, or the WP-bound 8:10 PM Saturday trip out of Bedford Park.

#501001 - 02/22/12 10:11 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Last Monday (President's Day) is one of my least favorite days of the year. Bad enough I never get the day off but, because Bee-Line runs a Saturday schedule on President's Day, to make my connection I have to get up an extra twenty minutes early to boot.

Nothing like starting your Monday twenty minutes early. mad

This year was no exception. The funny thing was, most of the regulars were on the earlier bus. By the time I got to Elmsford I had just about forgotten it was President's Day.

Actually it's not too bad. Instead of a couple minutes I have close to twenty-five to make the connection at Elmsford between 13 and 14. So I stay on the 13 two stops and go to a Dunkin Donuts for a breakfast sandwich. Something I otherwise never have time to do.

By the time I'm done eating the 14 is due.

And with Metrocard you don't have to transfer at a transfer point, so I don't have to walk back down to Elmsford Square to use my transfer on the 14. I get on at the stop right outside Dunkin Donuts. laugh

#501002 - 02/24/12 01:34 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Transfer at a transfer point? You mean, even though the transfer would be technically valid because of the route it's being used on, they won't let you use it just anywhere?

#501003 - 02/24/12 01:41 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

On the bright side, the destination of the initial route doesn't affect the transfer's validity. For example, one time I used my Student pass on the 30 from my school to CPA, got off, and waited for the 20. But, turns out, my parents showed up, and we went to the Bronx for some business at around the W25/26 terminal. I decided to ride the 42 down to 233rd to eat at Burger King. When I used my Student Pass on the 42 this time, it registered as a Transfer. And ironically enough, the 30 I first used the pass on that day was Bronxville-bound, NOT New Rochelle-bound. And, I used the transfer in a location way beyond the 30's reach. Pretty strange, isn't it?

#501005 - 02/24/12 12:33 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Originally Posted By: Jan
I used the transfer in a location way beyond the 30's reach. Pretty strange, isn't it?

That's interesting. But I've noticed the farebox reader doesn't know (or doesn't register) where you're getting on. Just the time since the transfer was issued,

#501006 - 02/24/12 12:35 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Quote:
And with Metrocard you don't have to transfer at a transfer point, so I don't have to walk back down to Elmsford Square to use my transfer on the 14.

I'm talking about in the days before the Metrocard or the modern fareboxes. When operators issued (and collected) paper transfers. Without getting too specific, the operators were not supposed to accept transfers at points not designated for transfer. As it said on the transfer, it was good only for one continous trip, not valid for stopovers.

Many of the operators would accept them anyway but it wasn't safe to presume they would. You needed to have cash available for an additional fare just in case .

#501011 - 02/25/12 02:01 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Oh, are you talking about those long, receipt-like transfers?

I actually liked those. They seemed fancy to me. (and not just because it listed every single route, including old, historical routes in the Bee-Line Bus System)

#501016 - 02/25/12 06:39 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

I'm talking about when you had to pay cash, before Metrocards. Before the fareboxes accepted dollar bills even.

Do you go back that far? Geez that musta been almost twenty years ago. cool

[see title of thread.]

#501078 - 03/18/12 10:19 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Over the past couple weeks there has been something new on the 13 route. Automated on-board stop announcements. At least on the 600 series Orions.

Among the announcements are "Approaching Main Street and Broadway Tarrytown," "Approaching 303 South Broadway Tarrytown," and "Approaching Marriott Hotel." I had noticed over the past several months some of the Orions on the 1C had this feature too. They announce, "Approaching Elmsford Square."

I can't recall whether or not the NABIs on the 13 are equipped with the announcements, I have a feeling they're not. (The Artics on the 1C definitely do not have this feature. Not yet anyway.)

I also noticed last week some of the NABIs I see have had their destination signs updated. I saw a 5 the other night that was signed, "Getty Square." Usually it's "Yonkers." I also saw a 5 whose sign read "Harrison via White Plains" instead of just "Harrison." Some of the NABIs on the 13 have signs that now read "Ossining RR Station" instead of just "Ossining."

#501079 - 03/18/12 10:30 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Times really are starting to change. When I was on a NABI on the 45 yesterday, and on the 30 (NABI or Orion V) throughout the week, I've been hearing on-board announcements, and even hearing route announcers as well, even on the NABI Hybrids, where they've never been heard on before. Also, they changed the destination sign on west-bound 30s from "Getty Square" to "Yonkers". The Artics are probably the only ones that don't have the onboard announcements just yet. I believe the Orion Vs were the first to get them, because I was hearing them whenever I'd ride a 1W from White Plains to Elmsford with a friend sometimes, for as far back as the Summer. For some reason, the route announcer (and even the destination sign itself) says 1 W242 St Subway (W as in West, NOT White Plains; apparently, certain railfanners on YouTube seem to have failed to identify the position of the W on the destination signs on Hybrids).

#501080 - 03/18/12 10:37 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

One other thing-

I haven't seen an eastbound 13 with a destination sign that read "Rye." Ironically, the schedules indicate they're through-routed (e.g. the arrival times at Port Chester from Ossining and the departure times to Rye are the same) but the timetable still shows them as separate trips. And maybe they are? They also haven't issued a new timetable (see below).

Also all the buses (six each way Mon-Sat) that are through-routed (or connect to) Rye trips are to/from Ossining. Weekday mornings I don't even see the Ossining bus -- the two buses I usually ride originate at Tarrytown -- and the last trip in the afternoon to Rye gets to Elmsford Square about 4:20PM. That's a little early for me but I'll keep an eye out.

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_13_timetable.pdf

Edited by tommy meehan (03/18/12 10:40 AM)

#501083 - 03/18/12 03:37 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

For some reason, the route announcer (and even the destination sign itself) says 1 W242 St Subway (W as in West, NOT White Plains; apparently, certain railfanners on YouTube seem to have failed to identify the position of the W on the destination signs on Hybrids).

That's sometimes true Jan, but not always. See below for signs without a W and for 1W (all shots taken at Elmsford Square)-

#501087 - 03/19/12 08:40 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Westchester County
- There are no thru 13's to Rye-Playland. That will happen with the summer service changes.
- The next stop announcements will be system-wide. They are now being turned on. Note that we now have an automatic vehicle location system onboard all buses. The radio, farebox and destination sign are connected thru a "black box."
- Yes......we know where passengers board and alight.

#501093 - 03/19/12 12:22 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: dadbo46]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Originally Posted By: dadbo46
Note that we now have an automatic vehicle location system onboard all buses.

Are the on-board announcements triggered by the location system? Does the operator have to "do anything" when they begin a trip?

#501095 - 03/19/12 02:31 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Originally Posted By: tommy meehan

Note that we now have an automatic vehicle location system onboard all buses.

Are the on-board announcements triggered by the location system? Does the operator have to "do anything" when they begin a trip?

The on-board announcements are automatically triggered by the AVL system. The operator has nothing to do with it. However, at the start of the operators run, he must sign on and then the run is downloaded into the black box.

#501097 - 03/19/12 06:46 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: dadbo46]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Quote:
The on-board announcements are automatically triggered by the AVL system. The operator has nothing to do with it. However, at the start of the operators run, he must sign on and then the run is downloaded into the black box.

Thanks this is pretty interesting. I wondered if the announcements were geared to the mileage. Like the run starts at 0.00 and the announcements were triggered by reading the mileage. Like when the bus reached 0.85 the "Broadway and Main Street" announcement was triggered.

Pretty cool to know how it really works.

Any plans in the works to have 'next bus is due' alerts at stops?

And how do you know where riders get off? smile

Edited by tommy meehan (03/19/12 06:49 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling mistake

#501099 - 03/20/12 06:12 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Quite honestly, a "next bus" alert system at the stops is a perfect idea. I mean, the technology is probably there to have it done, so why not?

#501100 - 03/20/12 11:27 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Quite honestly, a "next bus" alert system at the stops is a perfect idea. I mean, the technology is probably there to have it done, so why not?

It's all about the $$$ !

#501114 - 03/23/12 08:31 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: dadbo46]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

This Artic is on the 1W. Stopping at Elmsford Square on his way to the Bronx.

Didn't mean to get so close but the operator pulled w-a-y up at the stop. Because of a 13 behind I guess.

Note there's no 'W' on the destination board -for 1W or W242nd St.

There's many variations. This afternoon on the way home from work I rode a Bronx-bound 600 series Orion V with a destination sign that read

Quote:
1C W242 ST

Both a 'C' and a 'W.' Couldn't get a pic though or I'd have missed the bus!

#501115 - 03/23/12 08:39 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Here's another one I'm just throwing in. Tappan Zee Express buses laying over at Tarrytown for evening runs. They have a lot of trouble staying on time due to the erratic bridge traffic so they start sending them over to Westchester well before their run is due.

They're a constant sight -- and sometimes a hindrance to Bee-Line operators -- at the Tarrytown railroad station. frown

Beautiful buses though.

#501116 - 03/23/12 10:51 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: dadbo46]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Of course it is. Like THAT'S news to me.

#501128 - 03/29/12 07:10 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: dadbo46]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

- There are no thru 13's to Rye-Playland. That will happen with the summer service changes.

This may've happened a while ago but I noticed last night, the Ride-Guide for Route 13 at the bus stop on Rt.119 now reads:

Quote:
13 - Local Service
Ossining
Tarrytown
Port Chester
Rye

And the route maps include the Port Chester-Playland segment.

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  MoOnMaN319, RokuSix 
Newest Members
Quinnz, Natethekid39, perrierberet, Meagan, zakir
4368 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4368 Members
20 Forums
26639 Topics
499347 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM