Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#501025 - 02/28/12 12:49 PM Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike
tommy meehan Online
Bus Driver

Loc: Yonkers NY

It's happened before but I SURE hope it doesn't happen again!

Quote:
The drivers and mechanics of Westchester’s Bee-Line bus system voted Sunday to allow negotiators to call a strike if talks with the transit system’s operators don’t improve by Wednesday’s deadline.

Transit Workers Union Local 100 and Liberty Lines, which runs the countywide bus network, are in the final days of a three-year contract.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120226/NEWS02/302260089/Bee-Line-drivers-authorize-strike

#501026 - 02/28/12 09:05 PM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Online
Bus Driver

I don't know how serious it is but the bus operators I know (or knew) never wanted to hear the word strike again after the long one in 2005. They said they lost a ton of money and you never really make it up. Trouble is....how many of the 2005 guys are left? frown

Without taking sides, for LL to ask for a wage freeze and an increase in health care contributions, that sounds to this poor schmuck like effectively a cut in pay. With gas prices and everything else going up these days I can't see any organization expecting people to agree to a cut in wages.

#501027 - 02/28/12 09:58 PM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: tommy meehan]
WalderRules Offline
Straphanger

If they strike, they should ALL be fired. It's time to stand up to these thugs, and force them to accept pay cuts. Also, the union should be fined under the Taylor Law. Governor Cuomo, end all union protection for public employees!

#501030 - 02/28/12 11:29 PM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: WalderRules]
tommy meehan Online
Bus Driver

Employees of Liberty Lines Transit (the contract operator of the Bee-Line System) are private employees not public employees.

#501031 - 02/29/12 06:13 AM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: tommy meehan]
WalderRules Offline
Straphanger

All mass transportation employees are public employees, and should be subject to the Taylor Law! If I were Governor Cuomo, I'd extend the Taylor Law to cover all workers, both public and "private", if they perform a public service.

#501032 - 02/29/12 11:19 AM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: WalderRules]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Westchester County
Originally Posted By: WalderRules
If they strike, they should ALL be fired. It's time to stand up to these thugs, and force them to accept pay cuts. Also, the union should be fined under the Taylor Law. Governor Cuomo, end all union protection for public employees!

WOW ! Glad you're not at the table negotiating.

#501034 - 03/01/12 12:31 PM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Online
Bus Driver

Quote:
Westchester Bee-Line buses will be running today after the Transport Workers Union Local 100 and Liberty Lines, operators of the Bee-Line bus service, agreed to continue talking past Wednesday's midnight strike deadline.

The buses were running this morning and hopefully will continue until an agreement is reached. Local 100 has traditionally not liked working without a contract so I guess we have to hope some kind of settlement is reached quickly.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120301/NE..._sectionstories

#501035 - 03/01/12 10:04 PM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: tommy meehan]
RokuSix Offline

Loc: The Bronx!
Glad to see Bee-Line still in service, but we can only hope the negotiations work successfully. It would be one thing if Bee-Line stood on its own, but many people depend on the system, even for intra-Bronx transportation.

Questions? Comments? Interested in free tacos?
Just PM me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

#501042 - 03/02/12 08:30 PM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: RokuSix]
tommy meehan Online
Bus Driver

Excellent news:

Quote:
Westchester’s Bee-Line bus drivers and mechanics agreed Thursday not to strike for at least two weeks as talks continue, the union representing the employees said......Liberty Lines President Jerry D’Amore agreed that negotiations will go on. “We will continue to negotiate in good faith and we haven’t really set a date by which that would stop,” he said...

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120302/NE...es-keep-running

#501043 - 03/02/12 08:39 PM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Online
Bus Driver

The statement quoted below is really appreciated:
Quote:
Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino said, ".....Beyond the riders, a strike would have put at risk critical public services provided by our hospitals and other businesses that have many employees who rely on the bus to get to work.”

In 2005 the County kept telling the media the strike would only effect Westchester's poorest residents, those "too poor to afford a car." I listened to a radio show where some suit cried crocodile tears over "those poor folks in Westchester who don't make enough money to be able to afford a car and thus rely on the bus."

Hey up yours pal! grin

I HAVE a car as does just about everybody else I know who rides Bee-Line! I hated hearing that and I had to listen to it over and over. mad

Edited by tommy meehan (03/02/12 08:41 PM)

#501045 - 03/03/12 09:24 AM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: tommy meehan]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Westchester County
According to a 2010 passenger survey, 62% of Bee-Line riders do not have access to a car for transportation.

#501046 - 03/03/12 10:46 AM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: dadbo46]
tommy meehan Online
Bus Driver

Well 100%% of the people I know who ride Bee-Line have cars. But having "access" to a car may mean different things. Many of the people I know have both husband and wife working and one of them takes the car. To avoid having to buy a second car the other uses the bus to get to work. Sometimes their job location changes and then they do buy a second car. But then they stop riding Bee-Line.

#501052 - 03/05/12 07:00 PM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: tommy meehan]
RokuSix Offline

I agree with Tommy, you may have a car but still need the bus available. What are you to do when your car breaks down and is in the repair shop?

#501058 - 03/08/12 08:11 PM Re: Bee-Line Faces Possible Strike [Re: RokuSix]
tommy meehan Online
Bus Driver

Thanks RokuSix. There are many reasons why a car-owner might take the bus.

As example my friend at work. He lives in Yonkers and often takes the 1C from near his home all the way to the stop near our job. He has two cars. His wife is a health care worker and his daughter is a college student. When classes are out or depending on the shift his wife is working, he drives one of the cars to work. The rest of the time he takes the bus.

#501060 - 03/10/12 12:12 AM Liberty Lines-TWU Ink 4-Year Pact [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Online
Bus Driver

Whew! grin

Quote:
“It’s not a perfect package, but it does do things that the union wanted,” Bill Mooney of Transport Workers Union Local 100 said Thursday afternoon. “It protects the pension for future retirees... There are increases in medical deductions for the members but they’re within reason considering the economic times...."

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012303080073

#501063 - 03/10/12 08:27 AM Re: Liberty Lines-TWU Ink 4-Year Pact [Re: tommy meehan]
WalderRules Offline
Straphanger

WAGE INCREASES IN THESE ECONOMIC TIMES???? RETIREMENT AT AGE 59 AFTER WORKING ONLY 20 YEARS???? THIS IS A FAIR CONTRACT??? It is NOT a fair contract to the riding public who will have to pay for these overly generous increases through higher fares!!! Retirement should be 35 years of service at age 65!!! They should pay 100% of the cost of their health insurance like I, and most private sector workers do! ONCE AGAIN, THESE THUGS WIN AND THE RIDERS LOSE!!! RIDERS, STAND UP TO THESE UNION THUGS! END UNION PROTECTION FOR THESE THUGS!

#501065 - 03/10/12 10:42 PM Re: Liberty Lines-TWU Ink 4-Year Pact [Re: tommy meehan]
RokuSix Offline

Well, what's done is done. If you feel strongly about it, contact Westchester County officials.

#501073 - 03/15/12 10:33 PM Re: Liberty Lines-TWU Ink 4-Year Pact [Re: RokuSix]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Westchester, New York
A bit TOO strongly if you've noticed...

Moderator:  MoOnMaN319, RokuSix 
Newest Members
patrickoster, Nathan, cparke, Haresh, MadStrapper
4354 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 70 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4354 Members
20 Forums
26621 Topics
499261 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM