Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500937 - 01/29/12 12:44 PM MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway
aka Subs Offline
Bus Dispatcher

Loc: B'klyn, NY, USA, Planet Earth
MTA might ban food on the subway! Check out this article.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/03/22/mta-official-mulls-food-ban-on-subways/

FINALLY! IMO Itís about time the MTA crack down on those who partake in this filthy, disgusting habit. There should also be more done to enforce this rule on city buses.

The NYC subway, the greatest show on earth...the spirit of MsSubway1031 lives on

#500940 - 01/30/12 12:44 AM Re: MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway [Re: aka Subs]
Brooklyn67 Offline
MTA Executive

Loc: New York
Nice to see a familiar face :-)

And of course, I agree with you. However, keep in mind, the TA doesn't want bus drivers enforcing anything. Although we are legally empowered and in some instances obligated to do so, the "official off the record" mandate has always been a verbal "suggestion" which really translates to "don't get involved unless absolutely necessary", and then, make a phone call. Anything more is on the driver. Whichever way it goes.

#500942 - 01/31/12 09:10 AM Re: MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway [Re: aka Subs]
Hiro Nakamura Offline

Loc: Woodside, Queens
We think that the food issue is a tough one. We think that the idea means well but would be very tough to enforce. After all they sell and have food for sale in at news stands in stations.

Got a Transit Question feel free to e-mail us at straphangers@nypirg.org

#500944 - 02/01/12 08:40 AM Re: MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway [Re: aka Subs]
Brighton Line Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY, US
While nothing in the world is like NYC Subway system, the Washington Metro bans food and they ENFORCE it with a passion.
I've seen tourist ticketed for finishing a sliver of a roll.

Yes the Metro shuts down and night and they do clean each and every station, but the food ban I'm sure helps.

#500945 - 02/01/12 10:37 PM Re: MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway [Re: aka Subs]
RokuSix Offline

Loc: The Bronx!
I think it would be great, because it'll cut down on messes. However, how would it be enforced? We already know littering isn't allowed on the subway, but it's practically everywhere.

Questions? Comments? Interested in free tacos?
Just PM me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

#500983 - 02/11/12 03:29 AM Re: MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway [Re: Brooklyn67]
aka Subs Offline
Bus Dispatcher

Hey Brook 67 thanks for remembering me! Good to see you're still manning the fort!

And thanks, as always, for explaining issues of bus driver enforcement.
What qualifies as an "obligated instance"?

The other day a guy got on the bus, made a point to stop and look at the driver, then proceeded to the back of the bus without paying! Everyone was waiting for the driver to call him back but it never happened.

I and a few others were thinking we should try that!

Granted, this guy looked deranged & possibly dangerous; had I been the driver I wouldn't put my safety at risk by confronting him. But I wonder what the driver would have done if this guy started harassing passengers.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

The NYC subway, the greatest show on earth...the spirit of MsSubway1031 lives on

#500984 - 02/11/12 03:38 AM Re: MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
aka Subs Offline
Bus Dispatcher

To this argument I must point out that those same station news stands sell cigarettes but no one expects people to light up on the trains.
I think the same enforcement applied to non-smoking rules can be applied to no-food rules.

Although, if I saw someone smoking on the train I'm not sure how I'd stop them...same with eating on the train; if a cop's not there to witness the act the culprit gets away with it.

#500989 - 02/12/12 02:38 AM Re: MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway [Re: aka Subs]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Westchester, New York
In a way, this law is a bit too pointless. The population of Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn are very high, and there are places that sell food everywhere, even INSIDE the Subway system itself. There's no way the MTA would be THAT radical to consider something that big. What if someone had to eat/drink on the go, and simply didn't have any other time to do so, other than on the bus. Besides, even the drivers would disagree with this law. In an analogy, banning the consumption of food/drinks in NYC Transit, is pretty much like winning a lawsuit against Facebook, or a drug/alcohol company. It's basically illogical, and virtually impossible.

#501048 - 03/04/12 04:47 PM Re: MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway [Re: aka Subs]
Phil R Offline
Tourist

For anyone who doubts the wisdom of banning eating on the trains or buses, check out trainpigs.com.

#501085 - 03/18/12 05:40 PM Re: MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway [Re: Phil R]
N6 Limited Offline
Transportation Alternatives Organizer

Loc: Town of Hempstead, Nassau Coun...
Trainpigs.com is an interesting site. Though, I've only see pictures of people eating. That's not the problem. The problem is the pigs that leave their mess behind.

#501088 - 03/19/12 09:48 AM Re: MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway [Re: aka Subs]
Hiro Nakamura Offline

Loc: Woodside, Queens
I really wish people would can it when they are done with their food on the subways. Has anyone taken a look at the track bed at 8th Street NYU?

To me it is really not the person biting their bagel on the train that bothers me, more the person that decides to have a full meal on the train. But I would mind the full meal if the person threw away their trash properly and didn't make a mess on the train.

Got a Transit Question feel free to e-mail us at straphangers@nypirg.org

#501105 - 03/20/12 08:05 PM Re: MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway [Re: Jan]
aka Subs Offline
Bus Dispatcher

In response I would argue that this law is as pointless as banning smoking on the bus/subway. There are places that sell cigarettes everywhere, even INSIDE the subway system itself.

As the link I initially posted suggests, there is some way the MTA would be that radical as they ARE considering something that big.

As for eating and drinking on the go, if the rules banned it and the need to eat/drink was dire enough, those people would find another place to eat/drink because they'd have to or risk breaking the law.

And I think bus drivers & passengers would like having clean/vermin-free buses.

There is nothing illogical about banning food/drinks on NYC Transit; it's a clean, health-conscious idea.
As for winning a law suit against Facebook or a drug/alcohol company; it's done all the time.

#501106 - 03/20/12 08:16 PM Re: MTA Considers Banning Food on the Subway [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
aka Subs Offline
Bus Dispatcher

Originally Posted By: Hiro Nakamura
I really wish people would can it when they are done with their food on the subways. Has anyone taken a look at the track bed at 8th Street NYU?

To me it is really not the person biting their bagel on the train that bothers me, more the person that decides to have a full meal on the train. But I would mind the full meal if the person threw away their trash properly and didn't make a mess on the train.

To me the person eating a bagel and the person eating a full course meal AND the person drinking coffee are equal.
The point is that most of these people don't toss their trash in the can hence the 8th St NYU track bed.
In short, the transit system is not for eating/drinking (or smoking); since the majority of eaters fail to clean up after themselves regulations are needed.

Although, how to enforce is the bigger issue.

Moderator:  Chemmy, RokuSix 
Newest Members
lirrman23, CEB, Heico, Abrala, Ashley
4343 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4343 Members
20 Forums
26595 Topics
499120 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM