Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500867 - 01/04/12 01:07 AM Suffolk Transit Bus Contract Changes in 2012...
MACTRAXX Offline
"The Mole" Boring Machine Operator

Loc: Islandia LI NY
Everyone: As we know the new Nassau County NICE Bus changes have been news on Long Island currently with the
exit of the MTA LI Bus but I found out that that there
are changes in the operating contracts that Suffolk Transit has beginning with the New Year 2012...

Educational Bus Transport (EBT) has taken over the Inter-County Motor Coach (of Babylon) ST bus contract and the Suffolk Bus Company-ST's largest contract operator-has become even larger taking over the CBS Bus contract routes...

Many drivers are changing employers and/or driving on routes that they have not previously worked or are familiar with as a result...

I wonder if these changes are a step towards ST taking direct operation of its routes or perhaps trying to do
something similar to Nassau County by contracting with
a single company to operate all buses in the system...

With these changes this week it may be interesting to note how the former ICMC and CBS routes fare under new management...

MACTRAXX

Edited by MACTRAXX (01/04/12 01:16 AM)

#500979 - 02/10/12 09:30 AM Re: Suffolk Transit Bus Contract Changes in 2012... [Re: MACTRAXX]
Strong Offline
Booth Worker

Loc: Suffolk County, NY
Former CBS drivers are still mostly doing ex CBS run routes under SBC as far as I know, the only difference is that some pre-SBC drivers have been assigned the S110.

EBT got ICMC's routes because Suffolk changed their bid process and bid all the Western routes as one. EBT is said to have underbid ICMC by a million dollars.

The did the same with the routes run by Sunrise and Hampton Jitney, both still operate the buses and routes because they made a joint venture called Twin Forks Transit which won the bid and both Sunrise and HJ act as sub contractors to that company. My source comes from someone at Sunrise.

Those two moves where done to help the county to save money as the county has a big budget gap and it has a large effect on the Department of Public Works (DPW) which SCT falls under.

CBS and SBC's routes were NOT merged, and Suffolk I believe wanted to keep both operators. That is why I believe that SBC used the Competitive bidding that the companies were given as a result of a law suit against the county years ago that would have allowed any company to bid on any route. Either that or the rumor that CBS's owners were planning on selling the company actually happened.

I've been told that there has been very little change in the service level on the routes that were former routes run by CBS.

I'm not sure about former ICMC routes though I have heard that it took a while for EBT to remove Inter County Motor Coach's name from at least one bus.

Moderator:  Pacific Command 2524, Q89LCL 
Newest Members
patrickoster, Nathan, cparke, Haresh, MadStrapper
4354 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 66 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4354 Members
20 Forums
26621 Topics
499261 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM