Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500785 - 12/08/11 10:19 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Westchester, New York
There are four of them yes, but they are numbered #201-204. #205-299 are all NABI 40 Hybrids.

#500786 - 12/08/11 10:32 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Vent alert:

It's possible, but but what I've been noticing is that no matter what type of bus the 25 uses, almost ALL of it's trips are always crowded, with near maximum capacity, and to this day, they will NEVER place a single Artic on the 25, because they're too retarded to use their common sense. And, I don't see a single point of the 25's trip that can be affixed, adjusted, or ported around in order to allow the use of artics. Turnarounds are no excuse; the 6 shares the same turnaround at Yonkers RR, and that route uses Artics everyday. Bronx isn't an excuse either, the 25 could just share artics with the 42, that way, the Artics don't have to be using the Baychester avenue turnaround for the 25. Plus, the stop on the top of the hill in the back of Sears @ Cross county was removed not too long ago, so the 25 can easily go around through Vredenburg Avenue if it uses Artics. The WCDOT is just too brain-damaged to think logically. They place Artics on trips of routes that don't even need them (Ex: certain trips on the 4, 5, and 6). They're too lazy to completely redo the frequency of the 20 line, and do an everyday, or at least a weekly census on EVERY ONE OF IT'S TRIPS, to see what needs to be changed to what. They should even just make the 21 an all-day route, in both directions, full route. And, they refuse to place Artics on other routes that need them on certain trips (Ex: All weekday southbound trips on the 2 line from 2-4 PM; 3:00 PM M-F northbound trip on the 5 from Yonkers to White Plains; 3:15 PM M-F northbound trip on the 6 from Yonkers RR to Pleasantville).

Trust me, if I was in charge of the Bee-Line Bus System, it would be ENTIRELY DIFFERENT by now.

#500789 - 12/09/11 05:06 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Westchester County
Originally Posted By: Jan
Vent alert:

It's possible, but but what I've been noticing is that no matter what type of bus the 25 uses, almost ALL of it's trips are always crowded, with near maximum capacity, and to this day, they will NEVER place a single Artic on the 25, because they're too retarded to use their common sense. And, I don't see a single point of the 25's trip that can be affixed, adjusted, or ported around in order to allow the use of artics. Turnarounds are no excuse; the 6 shares the same turnaround at Yonkers RR, and that route uses Artics everyday. Bronx isn't an excuse either, the 25 could just share artics with the 42, that way, the Artics don't have to be using the Baychester avenue turnaround for the 25. Plus, the stop on the top of the hill in the back of Sears @ Cross county was removed not too long ago, so the 25 can easily go around through Vredenburg Avenue if it uses Artics. The WCDOT is just too brain-damaged to think logically. They place Artics on trips of routes that don't even need them (Ex: certain trips on the 4, 5, and 6). They're too lazy to completely redo the frequency of the 20 line, and do an everyday, or at least a weekly census on EVERY ONE OF IT'S TRIPS, to see what needs to be changed to what. They should even just make the 21 an all-day route, in both directions, full route. And, they refuse to place Artics on other routes that need them on certain trips (Ex: All weekday southbound trips on the 2 line from 2-4 PM; 3:00 PM M-F northbound trip on the 5 from Yonkers to White Plains; 3:15 PM M-F northbound trip on the 6 from Yonkers RR to Pleasantville).

Trust me, if I was in charge of the Bee-Line Bus System, it would be ENTIRELY DIFFERENT by now.

Hhhmmm.

#500790 - 12/10/11 04:12 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: dadbo46]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Yonkers NY

Yeah that's kinda harsh.

So you're an armchair expert, right? Okay, but do you have to be so darn negative about it? frown

#500791 - 12/10/11 09:39 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

What's there in the Bee-Line that's GOOD anymore? Besides it's Orion VIIs?

#500802 - 12/13/11 08:35 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Vent Alert - It's possible, but but what I've been noticing is that no matter what type of bus the 25 uses, almost ALL of it's trips are always crowded, with near maximum capacity, and to this day, they will NEVER place a single Artic on the 25, because they're too retarded to use their common sense.

To show you how long its been since I rode the 25, the last time I did it was an RTS. smile

But I want to get something off my chest too. The thing about transit buses is, they're quite likely to be crowded at times. I don't see that as a major failing by the service provider. I see that as a fact of life.

There are certain evening 13s (primarily the ones that go to Ossining) that when I board at Elmsford Square I know from experience I may not get a seat. I may have to stand.

But for how long?

That's the other thing about transit buses. People get on, people get off. You stand for a couple stops then you get a seat. It has been like that since I first rode a transit bus and that was quite a while ago. Like Eisenhower was still the President and my Granma paid my fare.

As for the 25 always being filled to capacity. How can Jan know that? Unless he rides from morning til night for a good long while. Because I may not ride the 25 but I see 25s and they are not always filled to capacity.

In fairness, Bee-Line does know how many people ride each and every 25 trip. That they don't assign Artics is probably for one of two reasons (and possibly other reasons too):

1. The ridership actually doesn't require Artics. Except maybe on some trips and even then, possibly, not for the entire trip.

(Weren't they using 30-footers on Saturdays for a while on the 25? Because of low ridership?)

2. They don't have enough Artics to go around.

Finally, and I also want to get this off my chest, I for one greatly appreciate dadbo46 taking the time to post some information here. And knowing that he reads the messages I think he's entitled to some respect and to NOT have to read comments about himself and his colleagues being retarded or lazy.

That's NOT cool. That's RUDE.

#500804 - 12/15/11 08:36 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Early this morning on an Orion V 13 bus, half asleep (as usual) and counting farebox beeps (variation on counting sheep) to tally the ridership or nod off. Whichever comes first! smile

By the time we cleared Main & B'way in Tarrytown I had counted 49 beeps (or riders) and there were about 7 standees. Some of the standees, especially one lady I frequently see, did not seem too pleased about standing.

Once the bus turns east on 119 we start dropping riders. At the Marriot Courtyard a group of Marriot employees get off every morning. About 7 or 8 and as soon as they got up and headed for the exit all the standees found seats. I noted the elapsed time the people were standing was about 7 or 8 minutes. That's not exactly hell on earth. I mean, it was rush hour.

After the Marriot stop a few people got off and a few people got on. At Elmsford Square a whole bunch of us got off. Plenty of seats now. I doubt there were any standees at least until the White Plains Trans Center. Might have been some by the time this particular 13 gets to Main & B'way in White Plains.

But I don't know.

#500826 - 12/22/11 08:28 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Another reason I don't like riding on crowded buses. They're too darned crowded! smile

The other morning, while making the transfer at Elmsford Square, I missed the first 1C and thought I had possibly missed the second 1C too. When the 14 (low-floor NABI) came along I figured I better take it.

The 14 was very crowded (as usual), no chance I was going to get a seat.

I only ride three stops so I made my way through the crowd to take up a position by the back door. As I made my way down the aisle I accidently hit a passenger seated near the rear door in the head with my elbow. frown

I didn't hit him hard but it was more than a brush and I said, "Sorry!" He muttered, "Okay."

At the next stop I had to turn to let someone off. I hit the same guy again in the head with my backpack. sick

I was too embarrased to even apologize. Plus I figured at that point the guy probably didn't want to hear it anyway.

I stood without moving a muscle until my stop came up!

#500849 - 12/30/11 03:30 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Somebody please tell me how an Orion V Suburban ended up on the W39 today? I was in the car with a friend, and we were on CPA Southbound at Hartsdale Avenue, stopped at a traffic light, and I saw three buses going westbound in the following order:
1. NABI 40 Hybrid on the W34
2. Orion V Suburban on the W39
3. NABI 40 Hybrid on the W38

I could tell it was a Suburban, due to the exhaust pipe in the back, and the lack of a back door exit. However, why is it that with some of these commuter routes, especially for certain trips on the W34, 38, 39, and 65, I barely see anybody on board the buses? And, this is for if they're going WESTBOUND in the AFTERNOON, just to clear that part up for you guys.

#500853 - 12/30/11 10:34 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Somebody please tell me how an Orion V Suburban ended up on the W39 today? I was in the car with a friend, and we were on CPA Southbound at Hartsdale Avenue, stopped at a traffic light, and I saw three buses going westbound in the following order:
1. NABI 40 Hybrid on the W34
2. Orion V Suburban on the W39
3. NABI 40 Hybrid on the W38

I could tell it was a Suburban, due to the exhaust pipe in the back, and the lack of a back door exit. However, why is it that with some of these commuter routes, especially for certain trips on the W34, 38, 39, and 65, I barely see anybody on board the buses? And, this is for if they're going WESTBOUND in the AFTERNOON, just to clear that part up for you guys.

This week ridership is very low especially on the commuter lines. I checked a #10 tonight at Croton RR and there were only two passengers on the trip.

You're going to see more 40-footers on these routes and shuttles. The #78 has already been converted to 40-footers.

We will be reducing the fleet by transferring some 30-foot Orion V to other properties (101-115). Also, three 800's (828, 29 & 30) are going to be shipped out. Get your pictures now while they're still here.

#500854 - 12/31/11 12:11 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: dadbo46]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Why are they getting rid of some Orion 05.505's and some Orion V Suburbans? And, why would they place 40-footer buses on trips that would be better off with 30-footers? I don't get it.

#500855 - 12/31/11 12:14 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Converting the W78 to 40 footers makes sense to me because it goes to Ridge Hill now. And as result, it no longer goes inside the Home Depot parking area.

I was actually surprised when I was Getty Square one time. I was about to board the 3:10 PM eastbound trip on the W7, when I spotted an Orion VII on the W78, parked at Getty Square. It was a rare find in my opinion, so I took a picture. I didn't want the driver to notice me, so I had to take the picture from a distance...

#500857 - 12/31/11 01:12 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: dadbo46]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Ridership has been low the past week. The early morning 13 I ride has been carrying 25-30 riders out of Tarrytown. Whereas on 'normal' weeks we have close to 50 some mornings.

In fact yesterday morning by the time we passed the last of the office parks on Rt.119 in Greenburgh there were only about 15 people left on the bus.

#500858 - 01/01/12 05:58 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Now that you mention it, speaking OF the Route 13 Line, I think you guys should take a look at this:
http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_13_timetable.pdf
I can't believe it. They're ACTUALLY going to combine the 13 & 76 into one route. That's great news to hear. Now I only need to pay once for each way I'm going to/from Playland next Summer. Last summer, I had to take three buses in each direction, and therefore had to pat twice in both directions (W20 -> W13 -> W76).
Now, I can just go straight to Playland from White Plains. Man, why didn't they just think of this years ago when getting rid of the W92, to basically just combine the W13 & W76 into one route? I mean, sure the W76 was using different buses than the W13, and had a section of it's route after Port Chester RR Station, that would've made it impractical to combine it with the W13. But, since the ridership on the W76 WAS low anyways, i guess better that they're just made into one route. But, of course, the way the made the timetable so that SEEMS like two different W13's connecting at Port chester, I think it's just the same bus for both sides of the new W13 Line. They need to correct that part of the timetable, because the purpose of the change, is to combine the W13 & W76, so that there's a single bus route that goes from Ossining/Tarrytown via White Plains straight to Rye/Playland, and making Port Chester from a terminal into a midpoint, just like White Plains. Of course, the amount of trips that actually goes south/east of Port Chester seem very limited. But, to be honest, I think riding the W20 from Yonkers to White Plains & the W13 from White Plains to Playland will be so much better & faster, than riding the W20 to Yonkers Avenue, & riding the W91 to Playland.

#500859 - 01/01/12 07:33 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Now that you mention it, speaking OF the Route 13 Line, I think you guys should take a look at this:
http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_13_timetable.pdf
I can't believe it. They're ACTUALLY going to combine the 13 & 76 into one route. That's great news to hear. Now I only need to pay once for each way I'm going to/from Playland next Summer. Last summer, I had to take three buses in each direction, and therefore had to pat twice in both directions (W20 -> W13 -> W76).
Now, I can just go straight to Playland from White Plains. Man, why didn't they just think of this years ago when getting rid of the W92, to basically just combine the W13 & W76 into one route? I mean, sure the W76 was using different buses than the W13, and had a section of it's route after Port Chester RR Station, that would've made it impractical to combine it with the W13. But, since the ridership on the W76 WAS low anyways, i guess better that they're just made into one route. But, of course, the way the made the timetable so that SEEMS like two different W13's connecting at Port chester, I think it's just the same bus for both sides of the new W13 Line. They need to correct that part of the timetable, because the purpose of the change, is to combine the W13 & W76, so that there's a single bus route that goes from Ossining/Tarrytown via White Plains straight to Rye/Playland, and making Port Chester from a terminal into a midpoint, just like White Plains. Of course, the amount of trips that actually goes south/east of Port Chester seem very limited. But, to be honest, I think riding the W20 from Yonkers to White Plains & the W13 from White Plains to Playland will be so much better & faster, than riding the W20 to Yonkers Avenue, & riding the W91 to Playland.

It's the middle of a pick. Can't extend existing trips because of interlining. Look for extended trips with the spring pick on 3/5.

#500860 - 01/01/12 10:56 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: dadbo46]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

It's New Year's Day and Jan is talking about Playland.

Okay. smirk

#500861 - 01/02/12 03:18 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: dadbo46]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

What do you mean, "pick"? Explain.

#500862 - 01/02/12 03:29 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

What's wrong with that? All I'm stating is it's about time they combined the W13 & W76. At least for people that have to FIRST take a bus (any route that cannot directly connect to the only three Playland Routes remaining: W11, 12, 14, 15, 17, etc) to White Plains, then take more than one bus in order to get to Playland, because the 76, or 91 isn't exactly close, or available to them right away, without having to take another bus in order to access the Playland-bound routes, at least they can now get to Playland easily now, because there's finally a SINGLE ROUTE that goes DIRECTLY between White Plains & Playland.

I mean, don't you think it's a bit odd that people down in Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Pelham, and New Rochelle have a route that takes them DIRECTLY to Playland, without requiring the use of a transfer, or more than one transfer if necessary, and yet SOMEHOW, White Plains of all places, heavily populated and whatnot just as much as the other places, seems to be lacking a route that does exactly that?

Just because it's only January doesn't mean it's taboo for me to be talking about whatever bus routes I feel I can talk about. WCDOT decided to make the changes to the W13/W76 now, and there's nothing wrong about doing it in January. Why should it be any different with me?

#500863 - 01/02/12 08:12 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

What do you mean, "pick"? Explain.

When schedules change and drivers "pick" their work. Typically in September, June and February/March.

#500878 - 01/08/12 12:35 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

I don't have much luck taking shots on Articulated buses for some reason. They always seem 'soft' or blurry. Here's two taken Friday night.

I LOVE the trip home on Friday night! 'Specially when I don't have to work Saturday. smile (Miss the overtime though. frown )

An Artic on the 1C approaching Elmsford Square in late afternoon. One of the rebuilts. Notice the "Stop Requested" sign in the rear of the bus? Only 4 or 5 other riders on it. Where'd everybody go? This run is normally an Orion (and with a lot more riders) but you never know.

#500913 - 01/20/12 09:13 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Here's another Artic on a late afternoon southbound 1C in Elmsford. Same run as pictured in the previous message but five days later on 1-18-12. Usually this trip has an Orion V but occasionally it runs with an Artic. More riders than in the last photo, but actually about average for this trip.

#500934 - 01/27/12 10:39 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

This is the same PM trip as in the previous foto. On that day the run had an Artic. Tonight it was an Orion V.

Bit crowded here, on Saw Mill River Road near Payne Street in Elmsford. But this point on the trip is about as crowded as the 1Cs get, at least until they are much further south (where I seldom ride them).

Foto not the best as the light was pretty soft and I shot this while standing. mad

Haha Actually I was okay with it. Wanted to try a shot from the standing position anyway.

#500948 - 02/03/12 11:31 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

About a week later, same southbound 1C trip. Late afternoon through Elmsford. Again with an Artic.

Finally an Artic shot came out halfway decent. smile

#500949 - 02/04/12 12:36 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

For some reason, it seems as if you took the photo in the Orion V in a manner that makes it seem like an artic at first.

#500953 - 02/04/12 09:47 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

I think it has to do with the focal length of my Samsung phone's camera lens. Slightly wide angle.

I like shooting photos with a cell phone. You can be very inconspicuous doing it. I just remember not to look around after I take a shot. That way people usually don't seem sure what I'm doing. wink

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  MoOnMaN319, RokuSix 
Newest Members
perrierberet, Meagan, zakir, Plowbeast, ChrisRider
4365 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4365 Members
20 Forums
26629 Topics
499308 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM