Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500561 - 10/28/11 02:43 PM Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization
Hiro Nakamura Offline

Loc: Woodside, Queens
Yesterday, October 27, a crowd of thirty demonstrators (students, workers, advocates, and riders) came together in Mineola to urge Nassau County legislators to include the public in the discussion of privatizing Long Island Bus.

Here are links to some of the news coverage:
http://goo.gl/J1ihC

http://goo.gl/zFhwg

http://goo.gl/iovGG

#500579 - 11/02/11 04:28 AM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
FamousNYLover Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: 14 min by Q72 Bus Stop at 37th...
You should have told me!
I might have been to protest also.

#500598 - 11/03/11 07:51 PM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
RokuSix Offline

Loc: The Bronx!
I'm going to keep a close eye on any updates for rallies or other action members of the LI Bus riding community can take. When I find events, we'll get them up ASAP!

Questions? Comments? Interested in free tacos?
Just PM me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

#500649 - 11/12/11 07:55 PM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
sirtiger Offline
"The Mole" Boring Machine Operator

Loc: Manhasset
Is this privatization so secret?

I am clueless what they are planning. MTA suck as*s

Edited by sirtiger (11/12/11 07:56 PM)

#500672 - 11/24/11 02:44 AM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
Grumman Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Statin Island
If you think the MTA sucks, wait until you deal with a private carrier that is not obligated as a public servant.

#500753 - 11/28/11 09:37 AM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
sirtiger Offline

Loc: Manhasset
I honestly never believed the MTA was really about the publc either.

I don't get why the hate for the new public carrier (Veolia). They are just a mystery whether they will do well. There is just indication they will have a uphill battle because of limited funding & how they will profit. If past privitization is a predictor of the future then its just bad news for everyone. The previous experience like the Green line experience, it will be going to be bad.

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/editorial-nassau-running-late-for-the-bus-1.3332575

seems like even they don't know what is the current status as of Nov 20. Strand all the riders started 2012? Nassau county can magically funding suddenly to hold on a little longer? The handover transition to Veolia can happen in matter of 3 weeks?

#500762 - 11/29/11 02:35 AM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
Grumman Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Statin Island
Like I said before, Veolia is a private entity. They can slash service at a moments notice. They dont have to answer to anyone like the MTA, which is a public servant. NASSAU COUNTY would have to hold public hearings on any service cuts because they are contracting the service to a private carrier. With Nassau County funding the MTA, the MTA was able to provide service on lines like the N73, N74, N80, N81-to name a few of the more quiet, or I should say, underutilized lines. Take the N74 for example-I have rode this bus in the heat of the AM rush hour (6:30-7:00AM) and the bus had no more than 15-20 people riding. The MTA was being financially supported to keep a bus like this running. A private carrier like Veolia would more than likely eliminate this service like it was never there.

#500787 - 12/08/11 10:52 PM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
MACTRAXX Offline

Loc: Islandia LI NY
Everyone: With less then a month to go before the MTA Long Island Bus
turns over operation to the new Veolia-operated NICE Bus Company
I am hoping that details about the new operation will be
made public as soon as possible so that riders can plan ahead...

One main example that I can think of is whether Metrocards will
continue to be accepted for fare-I am thinking about Westchester's
Bee-Line Bus as an example of a non-MTA transit entity that does
accept Metrocard for fares...

It would not surprise me if the NICE Bus operation no longer will
accept the Metrocard and instead sell their own passes and tickets
noting the relationship between Nassau County
and the MTA...It would also mean incentive fares like the Monthly/Weekly
LIRR UniTicket would be discontinued perhaps...

If that were to happen the MTA would probably pull their MVMs
and readers from places like the Hempstead Bus Terminal...
Not using or honoring Metrocard would be a problem especially
for those that travel into Queens and connect
with Subways and Buses there...

As mentioned previously marginally patronized routes may become
casualties of the new NICE operation especially if Nassau County
does not adequately fund or oversee the operation...at least the
MTA had to go thru legal channels to make service cuts and other
changes...

In closing one hundred thousand Nassau County bus riders need to
know and be able to inquire about this new operation and how it
will affect them...in many cases their livelihoods are literally
depending on it...

Thoughts and opinion from MACTRAXX 12/8/2011

Edited by MACTRAXX (12/08/11 11:00 PM)

#500807 - 12/16/11 09:53 PM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
RokuSix Offline

Did anyone hear about Veolia selling its transportation assets? Sounds to me like business-speak for "oh man this is going down the tubes"!

#500812 - 12/20/11 09:41 AM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: RokuSix]
Cyberider Offline
Transportation Alternatives Organizer

Loc: New Yorker wannabe
I didn't hear about it but it's a name I'm familiar with since they run most of the Valley Metro buses here in Phoenix. The unions have been negotiating with them for months/years without coming to an agreement so there's always the threat of a strike. frown

#500813 - 12/20/11 11:43 AM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
RokuSix Offline

That is highly discomforting. I already see some tension with the unions, and NICE hasn't even manifested yet.

#500816 - 12/21/11 08:08 AM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
Brighton Line Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY, US
Remember they can drop 5 under-performing routes, no need for public hearing.

#500818 - 12/21/11 01:50 PM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
Hiro Nakamura Offline

Loc: Woodside, Queens
Also remember that the contract is still pending a vote by Nassau Interim Finance Authority (NIFA). It is the state authority that oversees the county's finances. They will be voting on the contract tomorrow.

But it is correct that under the contract they are determining 5 routes to discontinue service. Veolia claims they will not be using the list of routes that the MTA cited to be cut in their proposal to cuts after the deterioration of the Nassau commitments to their transit budget. Veolia plans to us it's own metrics to determine which routes will be cut.

Got a Transit Question feel free to e-mail us at straphangers@nypirg.org

#500827 - 12/24/11 04:25 AM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Planet Earth
Veolia released the new schedules: http://www.libusinfo.com/Passenger_Information/Route_Information/index.html

The routes are all intact, but with a few changes:

* Some rush hour N4 buses will be short-turned at Rockville Center instead of going to Freeport.

* The N1 will serve the LIRR Valley Stream station (I don't know why the MTA rerouted it in the first place, considering it only cost something like $0.30 per rider extra for them to do it)

* There will be an N22 limited, which will operate from Hicksville to Jamaica during rush hour, but will bypass the Roosevelt Field Mall, saving riders 15 minutes if they're going between both halves of the route (it's not going to skip any stops other than the ones by the RFM).

Conductor on a Brooklyn-bound B train. 2004

#500829 - 12/24/11 09:19 PM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
RokuSix Offline

I'm shocked that they added a limited version of the N22... I wonder how long that will last.

#500831 - 12/25/11 04:46 PM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: Hiro Nakamura]
MACTRAXX Offline

Loc: Islandia LI NY
CTC and RS: Interesting information about changes being implemented for the
NICE Bus introduction in January...

I heard a mention that the MTA Metrocard and related fare system is being retained
by NICE for the time being-good news for riders...

The N22L Bus Route I believe is being targeted to riders who work in industrial
and office areas and bypasses RF as a time saver...especially Queens residents
who work along the route in Nassau County...

As an occasional N22 rider it is easy to notice how much RF ridership that it has...

In closing hopefully the coming NICE transition goes smoothly without problems...

Happy Holidays! MACTRAXX

Edited by MACTRAXX (12/25/11 04:48 PM)

#500835 - 12/26/11 05:55 AM Re: Riders Demand Details About LI Bus Privatization [Re: checkmatechamp13]
N6 Limited Offline
Transportation Alternatives Organizer

Loc: Town of Hempstead, Nassau Coun...
Originally Posted By: checkmatechamp13

* There will be an N22 limited, which will operate from Hicksville to Jamaica during rush hour, but will bypass the Roosevelt Field Mall, saving riders 15 minutes if they're going between both halves of the route (it's not going to skip any stops other than the ones by the RFM).
Don't forget the Mineola Intermodal Center

Moderator:  Pacific Command 2524, Q89LCL 
Newest Members
Meagan, zakir, Plowbeast, ChrisRider, Jeff
4364 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4364 Members
20 Forums
26627 Topics
499298 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM