Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500365 - 08/12/11 08:28 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Q89LCL]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Yonkers NY

The 104 600 series Orion Vs (actually 601-704) were delivered in 2006 and they will be around a good while, probably about eight or nine more years. (A Federal Transit Administration survey I read, says the average life span for a transit bus is 14 years.)

The old 400 series Orion Vs, delivered in about 1996, are all gone. They were taken out-of-service about two years ago as the NABI low floors began to get phased in.

The 400 series Orions were good buses but I like the 600s better. They are a smoother running bus. The transmissions in many of the 400s used to 'lug' or wind out before shifting. They always seemed to me like a bus that wanted to go slow. smile

#500442 - 09/15/11 08:27 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

This afternoon we went from Summer to Fall in the space of about forty-five minutes. This morning the 13 bus (but not the 1C) had the a/c on. No a/c tonight on the way home and none needed.

Another sure sign of Fall is the annual reappearance of the college students on the early morning 1C I ride. During the summer the 1C I board at Elmsford Square is just about empty. I often sit on the bench-style seats opposite the bus operator. Now it's September and the bus is crowded again. With students bound for Westchester Community College. Though I don't think they call it that anymore, the 1C destination sign still says "WCC."

#500443 - 09/16/11 10:18 PM End of the Line [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

A rush hour 13-Tarrytown, a 600 series Orion V, at the last stop before the final one: Tarrytown Metro-North station. The glare of the late afternoon sun is right in our face but the day's over and we're almost home. YAY

Edited by tommy meehan (09/16/11 10:20 PM)

#500457 - 09/20/11 11:18 PM Re: End of the Line [Re: tommy meehan]
RokuSix Offline

Loc: The Bronx!
Thanks for taking us out there with your photo. I feel Bee-Line doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Questions? Comments? Interested in free tacos?
Just PM me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

#500490 - 10/15/11 11:22 PM Re: 13 to Ossining [Re: RokuSix]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

The photo pasted below was taken on a 13-Ossining the other evening. I like the 13-Ossining buses because they operate via Beekman Avenue in Sleepy Hollow and I can get off closer to my apartment.

This was taken around 7 PM and the bus (which was crowded when I got on in Elmsford) has emptied out. It'll probably pick up a few more riders at the next few stops along Beekman Avenue. In the photo the bus is on Cortlandt Avenue about to turn onto Beekman.

Seems like just a few days ago this run was in broad daylight. Where'd summer go? frown

#500500 - 10/18/11 08:45 PM Re: 13 to Ossining [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Tonight I took the same 13-Ossining run home as pictured in the previous post. Only tonight -- at the same location -- I counted 23 passengers aboard instead of the 4 or 5 the night I took the photo.

What was the same both nights was the NABI low-floor hybrid.

Couple years ago when the NABIs began to arrive in force, I was pleasantly surprised that the 13 route was assigned a bunch of them. Then last year it was back to the 600 series Orion Vs on the 13. Hardly ever rode or even saw a NABI on a 13 run.

Just lately the NABIs have begun to reappear.

The Orions and NABIs are both decent buses but the low-floors are easier to get on and off of. Especially in the morning when I'm still half asleep. tired

#500508 - 10/19/11 04:46 PM Re: 13 to Ossining [Re: tommy meehan]
RokuSix Offline

I agree; I think low floor buses are better for most people, especially for those who have limited mobility. Because it takes them less time to get on the bus, the trip is sped up a little bit.

#500532 - 10/22/11 07:18 AM Re: 13 to Ossining [Re: RokuSix]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Westchester, New York
True that may be. But, notice that Low-Floor buses make the trips they're assigned on more crowded, compared to Orions? That's pretty much my problem with those buses.

#500533 - 10/22/11 07:34 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Actually, I'm having a bit of a problem with the system's patterns myself. It seems that no matter how I try, I can never catch the northbound 1C that crosses Getty Square @ 2:50, especially if I'm coming from school, boarding the 30 to Getty Square @ 2:45. It's like I have to wait 50 minutes if I have to take the 1C. But, I had some sort of plan, that seemed to only work out once. I would take the 30 to Ashburton/Vineyard, and try to get the 9 at that same corner. Then, it would beat the Pleasantville-bound 6 to Broadway. Then, I'd get the 6, then get off at Warburton Avenue/Spring Street to get the 1C. However, the main problem is, already 4 or 5 times over the course of two years, I keep missing that 9 by just seconds. I'm always running for it, and I seem to miss it by just seconds, and it really ticks me off so much. The thing is, a certain operator seems to reach Vineyard Street 4 minutes early, causing the ability to catch up to the 6 on Broadway, if that would be delayed. The problem is, Ashburton Avenue itself is the main reason why the 30 out of Saunders @ 2:45 can almost NEVER reach Downtown Yonkers before 3:00 PM. It always misses THAT 1C trip by even as little as a minute, because if the 30 would be stopped by a red light at Wells, I would always see the 1C pass by on Warburton. I just wish that an operator would be a assigned to the 30 that would just port around Ashburton using Nepperhan (operators of Route 8 school trips going towards Getty Square from Roosevelt seem to do this all the time). Only once was I able to ride a 30 from saunders that did JUST that.

#500534 - 10/22/11 07:38 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: dadbo46]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Yeah right. If that were true, I wouldn't be boarding a northbound W20 everyday after school that reaches Palmer Road @ 3:10-3:20 when it's stated on the timetable to do so at 3:02.

#500535 - 10/22/11 07:43 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

A lot? I beg to differ. I seem to notice that everytime I ride the 3 PM W5 to White Plains, almost everytime it reaches Elmsford Sq, it seems as if there's a lot of people there. The only times this doesn't happen is when the 5 is delayed, causing the Port chester-bound W13 that enters that part of Tarrytown Road at around the same time to have gotten there first. Is there some sort of "gap" in service around this time (3:20-3:40 PM), or something? Quite honestly, part of this can be because they never correctly specify on the Route 13 rollsign "13 Port Chester Via White Plains". It only says "13 Port Chester".

#500536 - 10/22/11 08:01 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

The Artics list I'll state myself:
1 (usually on Saturday nights)
1C (rarely)
1T (I saw a video of it on YouTube)
1W (one trip M-F has it, a lot of trips have it on Saturdays)
2 (there's a certain a trip during Weekday Rush Hours that gets it)
3 (most trips)
4 (very rare on Weekdays, but abundant on Saturdays)
5 (Mainly on Weekends)
6 (On weekdays, the last northbound 6 from Yonkers to White Plains always uses Artics. Also, for some reason, on Saturdays, only the Yonkers-White Plains trips use Artics. Never the Pleasantville trips)
7 (Almost all trips, yet they're STILL crowded as always)
8 (there's one Weekday AM Rush Hour trip from Getty Square-CPA that used an Artic a couple of times)
20/21 (a bit obvious)
27 (a certain White Plains-bound trip uses an Artic all the time)
30 (M-F only; Getty Square-Saunders High School trips only)
40/41 (again, obvious)
42 (For some reason, the crowded trips get the Orions/Hybrids, but the almost empty trips get the Artics; what a travesty)
45 (certain trips)
60/62 (another obvious one)
61 (one southbound trip gets it)
75 (always)
91 (always)

Routes/trips that SHOULD get Artics:
2 (Rush hours)
4 (Rush hours)
5 (M-F: 3:00 Yonkers-WP, 3:30 Yonkers > Harrison)
6 (M-F: 2:45 & 3:15, both are Yonkers > Pleasantville)
13 (rush hours)
14 (rush hours)
25 (all weekday trips anywhere on the W25 line between 2:00-6:00 PM; trust me, there IS a way to make this happen, I figured it all out myself)

And, would you mind telling about this Saturday night Route 13 trip from White Plains to Tarrytown, that uses an Artic? Because, I've never seen ANY Artics at al, on the 13, nor do I recall anywhere on the Route 13 timetable where the 13 ever used White Plains as it's terminal)

#500538 - 10/23/11 11:55 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Originally Posted By: Jan
And, would you mind telling about this Saturday night Route 13 trip from White Plains to Tarrytown, that uses an Artic?

No I wouldn't mind at all. I said there "used to be" a WP-Tarrytown turn that often ran with an Artic. I didn't say it still runs because it doesn't. I'll tell you about a couple other runs you probably don't know about too.

The 13 to Port Chester originating at Tarrytown at 7:40PM weekdays used to terminate at White Plains. Then it became a 5 and ran to Harrison. In fact some nights the operator would change the destination sign (from 13-White Plains to 5-Harrison) as soon as he got to Elmsford Square.

The 1T used to run Saturdays and Sundays. On Sundays they were paired with the 13. When the 1T arrived at Tarrytown the operator would change the destination sign to 13-Port Chester. On return trips it was vice versa.

Those trips used to get quite a bit of ridership at certain hours. Especially in the winter. Heading west there would be a lot of Yonkers riders waiting at the downtown White Plains stops for the 13/1T to get a one-seat ride to Warburton Avenue.

But this is all ten years ago or more.

#500539 - 10/23/11 06:32 PM Re: 13 to Ossining [Re: Jan]
RokuSix Offline

True that may be. But, notice that Low-Floor buses make the trips they're assigned on more crowded, compared to Orions? That's pretty much my problem with those buses.

That is a great point. Low-floors seem to be quite poor when it comes to handling crowds.

#500563 - 10/28/11 08:25 PM Re: 13 to Ossining [Re: RokuSix]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

A NABI low-floor at Main St. & Broadway in Tarrytown. This is a pre-rush hour run from 4 o'clock this afternoon. Plenty of room!

#500570 - 10/30/11 09:09 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Originally Posted By: tommy meehan
Though I don't think they call it that anymore, the 1C destination sign still says "WCC."

Have to correct the above statement too.

I noticed neither of the destination signs of the two 1Cs I ride in the morning does show Westchester County Community College.* It's the automated announcement that says that. cool

*(Only one stops at WCC the other goes directly to the Westchester Medical Center.)

#500615 - 11/04/11 10:05 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Another NABI low-floor hybrid on a 13-Tarrytown bus. It's after 6 PM and the bus is fairly crowded as it pauses at a bus stop between Elmsford and Tarrytown. If you notice in the top shot the rear doors are still open. People get on and people get off. Nobody standing though!

#500657 - 11/15/11 08:47 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Monday night I was waiting at Elmsford Square for a 13-Ossining that was running late. (Traffic would be my guess as to the reason why, traffic on 119 and 9A seems to get worse every year.)

In fact the 13-Ossining was so late that by the time it finally rolled in the following bus, a 13-Tarrytown, was in view. Normally I prefer the Ossining bus since it operates on Beekman Avenue and gets me closer to my apt. But the 13-Ossining was (not surprisingly) packed. Through the windows I counted about 6 or 7 people already standing with about ten people waiting to get on.

Ten people not counting me or the guy who asked me, "Is this the bus that's late?" We waited for the Tarrytown bus. As soon as the light changed the 13-Ossining pulled out and the 13-Tarrytown pulled in. There were five people on it, instead of standing I had my choice of seats! That was worth walking a couple extra blocks.

Along 119 our 13 bus never quite caught up to the 13 bus ahead. There was always one car between us. But then I became engrossed in a magazine article and....

Somewhere, probably along Rt.9, our bus passed the other 13. When I got off at Wildey Street near McDonald's in Tarrytown I crossed the street to get coffee. On my way into the store I looked back and noticed the 13-Ossining just coming down Wildey to the stop. Not only did I get a seat I got there first. Nice!

smile

#500660 - 11/18/11 10:05 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Here's another 13-Ossining, a low-floor hybrid NABI, running late the other night and getting crowded. As any regular rider knows, a bus on a route with a twenty minute headway starts to get very crowded once it's eight or nine minutes late. Once they fall that far behind the bus starts picking up 'early arrivals' for what should be the following bus.

Trouble with taking a photo on a crowded bus is....it's crowded! cool

Edited by tommy meehan (11/18/11 10:07 PM)

#500661 - 11/18/11 10:35 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Thursday night was rainy, windy, cold and miserable. An Artic on a 1W pulls in to the stop at Elmsford Square. My 13 is next!

#500773 - 12/06/11 10:06 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Well after Thanksgiving and a week's vacation I'm back in the harness. mad

(Actually I'm thrilled I still have a job! Lotta people don't.)

The morning 13 I ride out of Tarrytown is popular. By the time we clear the Main and B'way stop we're usually pretty well loaded up. We had about 45 passengers Monday. About three people standing. This morning we had about 40 and no standees. I notice the middle seats on the bench-style seats in front and back are the last to be filled. They aren't very comfortable for sure.

Also been too late to see the evening 11s, but I've noticed the 11 that goes through Elmsford around 7:30 AM is usually a low-floor hybrid NABI. This morning the 214.

#500774 - 12/07/11 06:08 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

I have a question, other than the 1C, 1W, 5, and 27, have you ever seen any Artics at Elmsford on any other route?

#500775 - 12/07/11 12:27 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

I guess that leaves the 13, 14 and 17.

Outside of the Saturday short turn from White Plains to Tarrytown of ten years ago or so (and maybe once in a snowstorm when the Orion went OOS at White Plains) I never saw an Artic on the 13.

Never at all on the 14 or 17. Though the 17 has used everything else including -- right after the strike was settled in 2005 -- occasional MCIs believe it or not.

#500780 - 12/07/11 11:50 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

OK, th part with MCI's on the 11 & 17 previously, I do believe, because I DID see an MCI on the 17 a couple of years ago. At first I thought it was a 77, but then I realized something was wrong with what looked like a "7" in the left digit spot on the Route indicator on the back of the bus. Basically, every single route that currently uses Suburbans (BxM4C, 10, 11, 17, and 43), has all previously used MCIs back then. It would probably be the 13, because some guy on YouTube who's really smart with Bee-Line Bus History, and very lucky to have seen certain rarities I can only dream of seeing on the Bee-Line, told me that he has seen artics on the Tarrytown-Port Chester trips on the 13. However, no Ossining trips, and no 13B trips.

P.S. I saw something really rare on the 78 a week ago. It was an Orion VII #202. I managed to take a photo of it, when it was on relay at Getty Square, just as I was boarding a 7.

#500783 - 12/08/11 08:20 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

I saw something really rare on the 78 a week ago. It was an Orion VII #202.

Yes they still show up once in a while. Bee-Line's first low-floor hybrids. There's four of them, right? 200-203?

I rode one a few years ago on an afternoon 27. Occasionally I spot one on a 5. And almost got a pic of one on a 1C last summer.

I've been thinking, in the morning if one of the Ttown-PC 13s consistently loaded more than 50 riders leaving Tarrytown -- and we get close some mornings, but if it happened every morning -- would Bee-Line assign an Artic? I think they might. Maybe switch it off with something else after the first trip or two.

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MoOnMaN319, RokuSix 
Newest Members
Meagan, zakir, Plowbeast, ChrisRider, Jeff
4364 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4364 Members
20 Forums
26627 Topics
499300 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM