Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#499734 - 12/21/10 11:09 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: dadbo46]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Westchester, New York
Why run a separate route from Tuckahoe/Crestwood to Eastchester/Vernon Hills, when you could just extend the 8 like that?

#499744 - 12/24/10 04:22 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: EE Broadway Local]
FamousNYLover Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: 14 min by Q72 Bus Stop at 37th...
Jan, if possible can you make Bee-Line W77 to fantasy full day service? instead of peak rush hour?

#499762 - 12/29/10 10:19 AM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: EE Broadway Local]
Q89LCL Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY
we like the fantasy proposals, but keep it realistic thanks.

#499774 - 12/29/10 01:56 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: Q89LCL]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

It's fictional routes using real locations, thats the point of them.

#499775 - 12/29/10 01:56 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: FamousNYLover]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

That's...actually what the White Plains-JV riders were possibly demanding at the least when the 12 was ruined.

#499776 - 12/29/10 02:00 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: RokuSix]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

I also JUST finished a sketch on a Crosstown route that operates from Eastchester Square to Crestwood Lake via Columbus Avenue, Scarsdale Road, and Crisfield Street. It also stops at Crestwood RR Station, and Tuckahoe RR Station. A.K.A. the Crestwood Limited.

#499780 - 12/30/10 10:42 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: dadbo46]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

If you ARE a Bee-Line Bus System Insider, then I was wondering if you would like to look at this:
http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/Kote15AD/

#499781 - 12/30/10 10:43 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: Q89LCL]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

#499782 - 12/30/10 10:44 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: RokuSix]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Honored to hear that you see it that way. http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/Kote15AD/

#500012 - 04/03/11 12:50 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Yonkers NY
Jan I like your ideas and I think it's terrific you have them. The real problem is money. Do you have any ideas where Bee-Line could possibly get the money to implement some of the additional service? LOL

I have ridden Bee-Line everyday since 1991. Despite what the media always says about Bee-Line riders, I'm not too poor to own a car. In fact I have a car but I leave it home.

Some years ago I spoke with someone at Westchester DOT. He asked me what routes I use. I said the 13 and 1C / 14 to commute between Tarrytown and Elmsford.

He said if the ridership was there and the funding was available they could operate the 13 on 15-20 minute headways all day. Run the 1C and 14 on half-hour headways. That would mean a bus every 15 minutes on Rt. 9A in Elmsford.

I said if they ran that much service -- if you could throw away your schedule and know when you went to a bus stop you would usually have a bus in 10-15 minutes -- the ridership would grow. The reason I hear people cite MOST often for NOT riding Bee-Line is the long intervals between service. And I hear this again and again and again.

He agreed. He said the barrier is the County legislators and the New York State Legislature. Very true.

Everytime gas prices start zooming up (as they are now) I hope maybe this time bus ridership in Westchester will really start to grow. I keep the faith but it's not always easy.

#500124 - 05/16/11 11:21 AM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

One thing I have not seen any comment on -- either by Westchester DOT or Liberty Lines -- is the effect the rising fuel prices are having on the cost of providing service. If you have gassed your car up lately you know what I'm talking about. Can you imagine what Bee-Line is paying for fuel these days?

The last time this happened there were cutbacks and reductions in service. They published the figures on the amount of money above and beyond what they budgeted for that rising fuel prices were costing them.

So far I haven't seen anything about what problems the higher fuel prices are causing. Maybe ridership has risen to compensate for it? I doubt it can rise enough, though, so I guess we (the ridership) just have to wait and see what they're going to do.

Has anyone seen anything about this?

#500218 - 06/13/11 11:44 PM Re: No.2 Ends Exec Park Midday Service [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

There are some changes coming to certain Bee-Line routes a little later this month. Nothing earth shaking but one change I'm sorry to see.

This is the cutback of the 2 during midday hours from Executive Park in north Yonkers to the traditional Tudor Woods terminal or endpoint. The No. 2 will still run to the W. 242nd Street subway station.

It wasn't all that long ago the 2 was extended to Exec Park and I thought it was a great move. A family member who works in Exec Park has actually used the bus a few times because of it.

I imagine midday ridership to/from Executive Park is pretty small -- obviously or they wouldn't be doing it -- but you don't know what impact it might have on rush hour ridership. Rush hour riders might not use the midday buses but they might like knowing they're there just in case.

According to the new schedule there will be a gap in Exec Park service from 9:30 AM to 3:18 PM.

By doing this it looks like Bee-Line will be able to reduce the midday 2 service by at least one bus. For instance, now the northbound bus leaving W.242nd Street at 10:00 AM reaches Exec Park at 10:44 and turns as the 10:50 AM southbound trip back to 242nd. It gets back to the subway at 11:36 AM.

On the new schedule the 10:00 AM northbound trip will turn at Tudor Woods -- arriving at 10:37 and departing southbound one minute later at 10:38. This will get the bus back to W.242nd Street at 11:16 AM or twenty minutes quicker. Since the 2 runs on a twenty minute headway that should save one bus per cycle I suppose.

I ride the 2 fairly frequently, it's the closest bus to where I live in Yonkers off Shonnard Place, and the service is excellent. With the price of fuel having zoomed up I understand why they're doing it but I wish they weren't. Or, more accurately, wish they didn't have to.

Edited by tommy meehan (06/13/11 11:45 PM)

#500246 - 07/01/11 11:31 PM Re: No.2 Ends Exec Park Midday Service [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Speaking of Bee-Line's 2 line, here is a (kinda crappy) cell fone pic of two No. 2 buses on a beautiful late Saturday afternoon in June, laying over at the W.242nd St and Bway end of the route.

Bee-Line 704 in the foreground is the highest numbered bus in the Orion V fleet.

Taken from the pedestrian passageway into the No.1 train station there.

#500332 - 08/01/11 11:49 PM Re: Distracted 4 Operator Rams El Column [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

According to a report last week in the local newspaper, the Westchester (NY) Journal-News, a Bee-Line bus operator in the Bronx hit an elevated subway column after being distracted by an irate passenger.

An operator on a No.4 bus (Bedford Park Subway via McClean Ave) was heading south on Jerome Avenue under the 4 train line when a passenger began complaining they had wanted to be let off at the previous stop, East Gun Hill Road. The operator said she became distracted and sideswiped a column supporting the elevated tracks of the No.4 train overhead. She then either skidded or overcorrected and hit a second column head on.

I think the report said all nine passengers plus the bus operator were injured, none seriously.

I checked with a friend who lives nearby, Joe Caronetti a bus fan of some distinction. He told me the bus involved was a Neoplan Artic, the 555.

I asked Joe how often the 4 gets Artics. He said weekdays not too much, mostly at midday. On the weekends the 4 operates with mostly Neoplan Artics. Very interesting, since we'd been speculating whether the 4 ran Artics .

Btw Sunday evening I saw 555 in a bay on the north side of the Liberty Lines facility on Saw Mill River Rd. in Yonkers. Couldn't see the front end damage because 555 was sitting nose in.

I wonder if they'll "just" repair it? I say just because Bee-Line is getting ready to give the Neoplan 500s (in service since 2002) a mid-life rebuild. In fact I think they've rebuilt a couple of the Artics already.

#500464 - 09/25/11 02:02 AM Re: No.2 Ends Exec Park Midday Service [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Quite honestly, this cutback with the W2's midday service to Executive Park isn't ALL that bad if you ask me. I mean, there's still the W6 on Broadway, and the W9 (if one can time it right) is probably the best alternative if you want a peaceful, scenic ride, with no overcrowding to worry about. The W9 may have 60 min. headways, but it's honestly not so bad if you can time the arrivals correctly. In comparison, the W6's 30 min. headways are somewhat better, in exchange for more crowding, and having to walk to Broadway. And, after reaching Downtown Yonkers, you could just transfer to the W2 from the W6 or W9.

#500465 - 09/25/11 02:03 AM Re: Distracted 4 Operator Rams El Column [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

I actually heard about that. I saw #555 on Central earlier this month, so it's fixed now.

#500466 - 09/25/11 02:03 AM Re: No.2 Ends Exec Park Midday Service [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Pretty good I guess. Now try for an Orion VII.

#500467 - 09/25/11 02:51 AM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Hopefully. Actually, if you've seen some advertisements on some BL bus shelters, it seems that your words about the whole gas thing seem to be coming into realization. And, I'm fully aware of this whole issue with money. My ideas are clearly hypothetical, I assure you. Out of the following of my ideas, which do you think would sound best:

1/1T- Get rid of 1C/1W, make 1X an entirely separate route, then just fuse the 1/1T into one route where you've got trips having one terminal always (almost always) being 242nd Street, and the northern terminal alternating between DOWNTOWN Hastings (the idea of ending a bus route in the complete middle of almost nowhere is a bit absurd in my opinion), or Tarrytown RR. In turn, increase frequency on the W3, W5, W6, and W13, and improve necessary connections. Make 1T a Mon-Sat route.

1A- 242nd Street Subway Station to Cross County Shopping Center. Makes ONLY the following stops:
242nd Street Subway Station [1, 1C, 1T, 1W, 1X, 2, 3, BxM3, Bx9]
-EXPRESS- Major Deegan Expressway
Yonkers Raceway or Clark Street [20, 21, 28]
Yonkers Avenue [7, 20, 21, 28, 91]
Mile Square Road [20, 21]
Near National Liquidators [20]
Cross County Shopping Center @ Macy's [20, 25, 26, 55]

7/7X- Make a limited stops version of the W7, where it only stops at the major areas responsible for the heavy ridership, likely a weekday rush hr. only service, but in both directions, operating ONLY between Yonkers & Mount. Vernon.

20/21/22- As follows...
20: Local, all stops
21: Express (Limited Stops), makes only certain stops on CPA
22: Express (Super Express), Nonstop Express between Tarrytown Rd/Aqueduct Rd, and CPA/Yonkers Av, utilizing I-287 & I-87
In the case of major traffic on either highway, W22 will just use CPA, but sustain the Nonstop Express, but instead between Harding Av & Yonkers Av, on CPA.

24-Basically an Express version of the W4, nonstop express from St. Joseph Hospital, all the way until Bedford Park Blvd. Uses S. Broadway, Henry Hudson Pkwy, Mosholu Pkwy, and G. Concourse. Stops at G. Concourse/Bedford Pk Blvd Sta., and operates onto the Jerome Avenue/Lehman College bus stops. Possibly have some trips continue onwards past Bedford Park to Fordham RR Sta., using G. Concourse, and Fordham Road. Possibly best as no Westchester Bus directly connects Yonkers & Fordham. (ie someone who uses ONLY the Bee-Line, but not the NYCTA Buses may find himself/herself taking a W60/62 from Fordham, all the way to WP, then take the W1W, W5, or W6 all the way back down to Yonkers; the only problem with this being, someone could otherwise take W1, W2, or W3 to 242nd St, then take the Bx9 to Fordham) I'd suggest Suburbans for this one...strangely, this one came to me from a dream...(an image of a BL Artic on Grand Concourse flashed in my head in a dream a couple of years back)

W48- as follows...
Crestwood Lake
via Crisfield St/Scarsdale Rd
Tuckahoe RR
via Columbus Av
Crestwood RR
via Fisher Av
Eastchester Sq
via Post Rd
Vernon Hills Shopping Ctr.
or
Extend W45 between Crestwood Lake & Eastchester as noted, minus Vernon Hills. Crestwood Lake would be defined as using Scarsdale Road & Crisfield Street from the Tuckahoe RR Station, eventually end up hitting CPA, and terminate at Fort Hill Road, or Ardsley Rd if the Gateway/Midway Shopping Centers can additionally be taken into account. Of course this might end up calling off artics on the W45 (there's a grade about as steep as the one in Cross County, except even longer where Crisfield Street starts when it branches west off of Scarsdale Road)...

50- Bedford Park & Woodlawn to 238 & 241 St Subway Stations, and Mount Vernon. McLean Avenue/238th St is used. Might be a problem considering if the Bx16/W42 connection overrules this...otherwise, a good idea as Bx16 doesn't serve Bedford Park, and neither Bx16 or W42 uses enough (W42 at least) artics anyways. W50 would have to be primarily artics.

87X- White Plains to Woodbury Commons & The Galleria At Crystal Run. This is more-or-less a personal desire, as the OWL (or ANY form of transportation), has no desire whatsoever to allow me & a friend to board the 20 from Crestwood to WP at 12:30-1:00, board an Express Bus to Crystal Run at 1:00-2:00, arrive at Crystal Run no later than 2 or 3, then board a return bus at 7-8, arrive at WP at 9-10, then get back home by 10:30. This is basically because I feel that I might eventually no longer desire to go to Palisades Center, and from what I've heard, I might like Crystal Run better once I can get there.

#500477 - 10/04/11 11:58 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Originally Posted By: Jan
Get rid of 1C/1W...

Have to think about what's your best idea...but get rid of the 1C and 1W? frown

I ride the 1C almost everyday!

Seriously though, the idea with the 1C-T-W (as I understand it) is to give South Broadway and Warburton Avenue in Yonkers every twenty minute service from the subway and to three very different destinations.

The 1W seems fairly well-patronized, it serves the Rt. 119 corridor between White Plains and Tarrytown and then is the only service from Tarrytown down through Irvington and northern Ardsley.

The 1C? It is the only direct service between Yonkers and Westchester Community College and Westchester Medical Center. That bus is fairly well-patronized too. Plus it provides (along with the 14) every half-hour service along Rt.9A between Elmsford Square and Westchester Medical Center. Lots of commuters ride the 1C to/from that area and not all of them work 9AM-5PM.

Forget the fact they share the common route number. I think that's a convenience for South Broadway / Warburton Avenue riders. I think these buses provide valuable service to the neighborhoods they serve, I really do.

#500487 - 10/14/11 03:20 AM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: EE Broadway Local]
TheGreatOne2k7 Offline
TWU President

Loc: Bronx, NY
What do you think about these ideas (if BL could ever get more $$)

W3 - 30-60 minute midday service should be considered

W20 - Add the following trips from Yonkers Raceway to Bedford Park (to ensure that no one will be stranded at Yonkers Raceway going back to the Bronx, especially employees).
Monday - Saturday 2:08am, 2:38am
Sunday - 1:04am, 1:34am, 2:04am, 2:34am

W40 (N/B) - The 5:10am Mount Vernon trip starts from 241 St Subway. This will enable Bronx residents to get to White Plains by 6am (Metro North doesn't even leave GCT until around 5:40am). This is a put in and shouldn't cost too much money.

W40 (S/B) - The 5:45pm WCMC trip extended to 241 St - the 40/41 service back to the Bronx ends too early and people at WP do get out of work at 6pm (trip would arrive at WP at 6:10pm). This shouldn't cost that much since it is a runoff.

W41 (N/B) - The 6:50am Mount Vernon trip starts from 241 St Subway. It is a put in, it's not like this would cost that much. Also this is the W41. If all W43 trips can run to/from 241 St, why not the W41?

W41 (S/B) - The 2:55pm WCC trip should be extended to 241 St Subway. While this trip is only even really running because of heavy ridership between WCC and Mount Vernon, the bus does have room to spare for anyone going to 241 St. Like the 3:10 WCMC on the W43, this trip is very likely a runoff and would cost very little to extend.

W62 - Maybe a 5:40pm trip could be added, this route ends way too early.

#500491 - 10/15/11 11:48 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: TheGreatOne2k7]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

For a while when I lived in Manhattan and had started working in White Plains, just for a change of scenery I'd ride the No.2 train to E.241st Street and then take Bee-Line. The connection between the 42 and the 40 is, IMHO, one of the worst connections going. They're not timed conveniently and you have to walk several blocks to get from one to the other.

I rode at times of the day when none of the 40s served 241st Street. I'd be in favor of any expansion of 40 service to the subway. In fact I think ALL the 40s should go to/from there.

Never can understand why they don't. frown

#500724 - 11/26/11 07:03 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: EE Broadway Local]
JerseyDevil Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Langhorne, PA
the Bee-Line bus website is blocked on my network. What bus goes to 1075 Broadway? My ex goes to school up there. I can't see her, but I am just curious!

#500726 - 11/26/11 07:16 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: JerseyDevil]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Westchester County
1075 Broadway in what town,.......Yonkers ?

#500728 - 11/26/11 08:14 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: EE Broadway Local]
JerseyDevil Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Langhorne, PA
My bad...Pleasantville.

#500730 - 11/26/11 08:46 PM Re: The Bee Line Bus Route Thread [Re: JerseyDevil]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Westchester County
6 bus.

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  MoOnMaN319, RokuSix 
Newest Members
sunnyside7, lirrman23, CEB, Heico, Abrala
4344 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (317Machine, WalderRules), 183 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4344 Members
20 Forums
26597 Topics
499126 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM