Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500445 - 09/17/11 03:23 PM Re: The Site Has Little to No Activity!! [Re: Q89LCL]
Brooklyn67 Offline
MTA Executive

Loc: New York
Funny thing is, I'm no longer a TA employee. I'm long gone from my days as a NYCTA bus driver. I don't live in the city. I don't use public transportation. I'm not a "busfan" or "transit fan" of any kind. I really have zero personal interest in whether or not this place fails or succeeds. I'm merely a passer-by today, and one who's saddened to see the current state of affairs as opposed to what once was.

I have no agenda here anymore. I really couldn't care less about buses or straphanging. Since I'm no longer an employee and no longer active in the daily goings-on, I have little left to contribute anyway. I merely pop in here from time to time to see if any of the people I used to see around here are still around here. That's pretty much my interest here. And that too is dwindling to almost nothing.

Tommy, they're not going to do anything. Sooner or later, this place will be completely abandoned and left for the trolls and spammers. And when we come back in later years, if there's still a forum, there'll be someone else right here in our place complaining about the same thing. History has a habit of repeating itself. Just go back a few years in this very Feedback board and you'll see exactly what I mean :-)

This place is a disgrace. And the way it's run and moderated today is a slap in the face to all of us who took it seriously and dedicated precious time here. And the irony is, as I've said for years, the SC treats us the same way the MTA treats them. With a loving, heartfelt and boilerplate all-inclusive dispatch memo, they do not take us seriously nor do they have an iota of regard for what's important or desired by their users.

The SC has been fighting the MTA for years, to be heard, to have their opinions matter, for change and for fairness. Sound familiar?

#500453 - 09/19/11 07:15 PM Re: The Site Has Little to No Activity!! [Re: tommy meehan]
Forest Glen Offline
Lord of the Post

Loc: Springfield Gardens, Queens
Originally Posted By: tommy meehan
I think one problem is the fact the Internet message board is just not as popular as it once was. Most of the Yahoo groups I belong to have greatly reduced traffic too. Partly it's spam but I think trolls and blowhards chase many more people away.

It would only take a handful of people to get this place going again. If people would write about their daily experiences commuting and riding. And just keep at it for a while.

If it's intelligent and sincere it's fun to read and people will read it. IMHO that's all it would take. More people writing about their everyday rider experiences and less people going on and on with endless babble about everything they know nothing about.

You're right about that. I'm done at NYCTF. I couldn't take people disrespecting me because I had a contrary opinion. Everyday there was some drama. It was so cliquish there. People can never agree to disagree. It is te same crap at Subchat. I'm taking a break from Subchat. The only fansite where there's mature discussion is railroad.net, and that site has less activity than Subchat and NYCTF (but more than Straphangers).

#500509 - 10/19/11 04:56 PM Re: The Site Has Little to No Activity!! [Re: Q89LCL]
RokuSix Offline

Loc: The Bronx!
Hi everyone,

At this very moment, I am going through the forums to try and catch some spammers. Unfortunately, I am not a moderator of every single forum so I can only eradicate the spam that is under my control. I also have a few ideas of my own to help get rid of spam which I will forward to our administrators.

In addition, I have posted some responses in a few threads to try and kick-start a few discussions.

I sincerely hope this helps.

Questions? Comments? Interested in free tacos?
Just PM me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

#500524 - 10/20/11 10:41 AM Re: The Site Has Little to No Activity!! [Re: RokuSix]
Cyberider Offline
Transportation Alternatives Organizer

Loc: New Yorker wannabe
Thanks for your efforts to eradicate spammers and create some quality activity. This was the first transit forum that I joined and I would be happy to see it thrive again with good information and conversations. Good luck!

#500543 - 10/25/11 10:43 AM Re: The Site Has Little to No Activity!! [Re: Q89LCL]
Brooklyn67 Offline
MTA Executive

#501167 - 04/10/12 09:34 AM Re: The Site Has Little to No Activity!! [Re: Q89LCL]
Chemmy Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Hey now, don't throw me under the bus! Every time I come here to delete something reported to me, someone has already deleted it. Or moved it to the Caboose, which is full on nonsense and SPAM now.

I would love to close the Mezz and focus on transit. However, I don't know that the fanbase is out there like we used to have. Many of us found out about this from ads on the subway. I don't think we will get the new posters that we so desperately need unless there's some advertising or recruitment.

Furthermore, I think we need more of a zero-tolerance policy. I can't count how many times trolls came here only to harass people and were banned and came back under new names to troll again and kept getting away with it. I would even be willing to have new members be required to have their first "x" number of posts approved by an admin before they post to the board to get rid of potential spammers and trolls.

I am ready and available to work. I am sorry if I haven't been posting but I've been here lurking constantly. I will be posting more and more to try to lead dialogue and keep people interested in transit.

#501175 - 04/11/12 08:05 AM Re: The Site Has Little to No Activity!! [Re: Q89LCL]
Brighton Line Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY, US
I log in about 8a every weekday so I see the junk in the main forum. I can't delete it since I don't have rights. It's a shame but welcome to the world wide web.

#501178 - 04/11/12 08:29 AM Re: The Site Has Little to No Activity!! [Re: Q89LCL]
Chemmy Offline

Loc: New York, NY
It's ok, I get most of the notifications from you so Thank You!!! I don't think anyone else bothers to report it anymore but I am glad you are keeping an eye out! I appreciate it, my friend.

#501186 - 04/11/12 10:36 PM Re: The Site Has Little to No Activity!! [Re: Q89LCL]
FamousNYLover Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: 14 min by Q72 Bus Stop at 37th...
Chemmy, maybe you could make this serious and to make sure someone doesn't post nonsense?

#501189 - 04/12/12 11:44 AM Re: The Site Has Little to No Activity!! [Re: Q89LCL]
Brooklyn67 Offline
MTA Executive

The forum is poorly managed. All moderators should have the ability to moderate all boards. What may have worked and made sense several years ago is completely useless today. This place does not have the activity to warrant divisional moderation. Every one of you in green should be able to moderate any board within this forum (as I have stated previously).

Else, it's apparent that the administrators have given notice not to delete spam or the spam member accounts, but rather, simply delete the links they post. This is an attempt to deceive the current and future potential membership into believing we have more on-topic activity than we actually have. Very poor form. It is very common practice for both human and automated spammers to harvest a section of another existing post and use it as a prelude to their spam links. Removing the links leaves only a repeat, on-topic message, however that was never the intent. The intent is to "blend in" and appear on topic. When you allow these members to remain, inflating the member list and displaying duplicate and redundant messages, it only serves the spammers insomuch they pingback to their post which still exists which begets more spamming. Does nothing to benefit this community nor promote current dialogue.

#501194 - 04/15/12 10:09 PM Re: The Site Has Little to No Activity!! [Re: Forest Glen]
FamousNYLover Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: 14 min by Q72 Bus Stop at 37th...
Originally Posted By: Forest Glen
I did everything in my power to keep this site active. I still post pics here. Since I'm no longer a member of NYCTF, I would post here more often if there were more members here. This was my first forum. It was at its peak from 2001 to 2004. Even in 2006, I was still posting 10-15 times a day. Perhaps we should recruit some serious railfans who are passionate about the subway (not the kiddie trolls who post at NYCTF).

I agree with also.
I have too many photos but 10 photos restriction, so I might put link instead and you could reply here.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MoOnMaN319 
Newest Members
UBB_Support, perrierberet, Meagan, zakir, Plowbeast
4366 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Eltingville), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4366 Members
20 Forums
26633 Topics
499327 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM