Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500418 - 09/04/11 02:35 AM A Train late night service disruption-AGAIN.
bdrhythm Offline
Tourist

Why must there be yet another long disruption in late night upper west side uptown A train service? It would be so much more helpful if service disruptions started AFTER midnight when there is less ridership. We just got done bearing two months of no uptown late night service and now we're expected to bear it again. This is NOT fair. What am I paying for? Do we have no voice in the matter? Not fair.

#500423 - 09/08/11 07:28 PM Re: A Train late night service disruption-AGAIN. [Re: bdrhythm]
Allan Online
TWU President

Loc: N.E. Bronx, NY
Originally Posted By: bdrhythm
Why must there be yet another long disruption in late night upper west side uptown A train service? It would be so much more helpful if service disruptions started AFTER midnight when there is less ridership. We just got done bearing two months of no uptown late night service and now we're expected to bear it again. This is NOT fair. What am I paying for? Do we have no voice in the matter? Not fair.

Yes you have a voice but, to the MTA a single voice just isn't loud enough to be heard.

In general terms, by 11 PM the ridership level drops dramatically which is why most projects (even weekends) start at that time. They may have also looked specifically at the level of ridership on the A at that hour and decided that the level was low enough for them to start at 11.

Also (and I may get some flack for this - but it is just my opinion) - some union rules require that the workers have time before the evenings work starts to prepare (and of course at the and of the evenings work to clean up). This cuts into the amount of time actually put into getting the work done. By starting at 11 PM, the work may actually start around 12 Midnight.

I do disagree with your inference that you won't have late night service. It will be inconvenient to be sure and maybe even a bit cumbersome - going all the way up to 125th St from 59th to get a local train downtown or going to 59th St on the local to get a train uptown. But the work has to get done one way or the other. The longer it takes to complete, the longer you will have to endure the inconveniences and the more it will cost.

Edited by Allan (09/08/11 07:33 PM)

#500424 - 09/08/11 08:09 PM Re: A Train late night service disruption-AGAIN. [Re: Allan]
SJE Offline
Tourist

Allan,

I think the main issue--the main "inconvenience" with cutting A Train service--is the people who live west of Broadway, north of 168th Street (and, particularly, up on top of The Hill--the highest point in NYC--north of 181st and on Fort Washington Ave and west). I used to live on 189th and Fort Washington. And without the A Train, that entire area is pretty much cut off.

#500426 - 09/09/11 12:45 AM Re: A Train late night service disruption-AGAIN. [Re: SJE]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Planet Earth
Well, that area does have the M4 bus, at least during the day.

Conductor on a Brooklyn-bound B train. 2004

#500474 - 10/03/11 07:32 PM Re: A Train late night service disruption-AGAIN. [Re: bdrhythm]
Q89LCL Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY
if this happens report the problem or just take the #1.

#500507 - 10/19/11 04:41 PM Re: A Train late night service disruption-AGAIN. [Re: bdrhythm]
RokuSix Offline

Loc: The Bronx!
There's strength in numbers. Maybe residents of the area can perhaps draw up a petition that explains in detail 1) why they need the A train at 11 PM and 2) why alternatives such as the 1 train and local buses are inefficient. If enough people sign, the MTA just might listen.

Questions? Comments? Interested in free tacos?
Just PM me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

#500721 - 11/26/11 06:58 PM Re: A Train late night service disruption-AGAIN. [Re: bdrhythm]
JerseyDevil Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Langhorne, PA
My brother lives on 190th and Overlook, and he does fine...he works on 200 West Street late hours, has 2 kids, and has no problem with the subway.

Moderator:  Pacific Command 2524, Q89LCL 
Newest Members
perrierberet, Meagan, zakir, Plowbeast, ChrisRider
4365 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4365 Members
20 Forums
26629 Topics
499307 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM