Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500192 - 06/05/11 07:00 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Planet Earth
I could never manage to read on the bus. I always end up getting carsick (or in this case, bussick).

Damn. I find that sad, but believeable how much soda the average American drinks per year. 40 gallons is about 75 2 liter bottles.

Conductor on a Brooklyn-bound B train. 2004

#500194 - 06/06/11 10:44 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Q89LCL Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY
have yall ever taken the 1x?

#500206 - 06/07/11 07:50 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Q89LCL]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Yonkers NY
The 1X? I never have.

Btw, I got a kick out of something I heard over a bus radio the other morning. A bus operator in Yonkers called Control and said, "Be advised, I made a mistake..." I was only half listening but my ears picked that up!

Turned out the operator was reporting himself for going off-route. Seems he mistakenly stayed on (or strayed onto) School Street instead of turning into Elm Street. He said he missed Elm entirely. Control asked him could he loop back? He said no, too late, too far along. Control then asked for his run number and that was it.

Never heard that before.

#500209 - 06/09/11 10:55 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Q89LCL Offline

Originally Posted By: tommy meehan
The 1X? I never have.

Btw, I got a kick out of something I heard over a bus radio the other morning. A bus operator in Yonkers called Control and said, "Be advised, I made a mistake..." I was only half listening but my ears picked that up!

Turned out the operator was reporting himself for going off-route. Seems he mistakenly stayed on (or strayed onto) School Street instead of turning into Elm Street. He said he missed Elm entirely. Control asked him could he loop back? He said no, too late, too far along. Control then asked for his run number and that was it.

Never heard that before.
most likely he will be informed not to do that again and be written up for it.

#500211 - 06/11/11 11:03 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Q89LCL]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Going the wrong way! Anyone who is married has to appreciate that. frown

Thinking about it there are several times that a bus I was riding did go the wrong way, all on the 13.

One early Saturday morning an operator on a Port Chester-bound 13 was going south on B'way in Tarrytown approaching the turnoff for the turning loop onto Rt. 119 (White Plains Rd). He turned too soon and wound up on the entrance ramp to...the Tappan Zee Bridge! Yes he stopped in time (and backed up).

Two other times something similiar happened on an Ossining-bound 13 in Tarrytown. Both the east and west bound 13s go west on Wildey St (by McDonald's) in order to make the loop through the Tarrytown Metro-North station. Coming out of the loop the westbound continues north on Cortland whereas the eastbound 13 turns right and goes east on Wildey. Twice I saw a westbound operator get ahead of himself and turn east on Wildey. Like he was going back towards White Plains without bothering with the Ossining part of the trip!

Both times they realized right away. One made a U-turn, the other turned into the River Plaza shopping center parking lot to get back on route. That was pretty cool, going through the parking lot and past McDonald's while seated on a loaded bus. smile

The other time was the only time the operator didn't go back. Like the Yonkers driver the other day, he was "too far."

This was an older guy, he seemed like a very experienced bus operator, but new to the 13B (via Benedict Avenue) a route which requires the operator to make a lot of turns.

When he got into the commercial district in Tarrytown he was supposed to turn right off of Main Street onto Washington, then left on Central. to get to Wildey and the train station loop. He didn't do any of that. He stayed on Main all the way down to the train station. Hey it was quicker, I'll say that!

This time, unlike other times (when most of the riders immediately began yelling, "Hey! Hey, where you going?") everyone seemed so surprised that we were way past Washington before people started to speak up. For one thing, this operator took Main Street down with much confidence and self-assurance, like he did it everyday. At first riders were mostly asking one another, "Is he going the right way? Should he be going this way?" LOL

I didn't say anything because I wanted to see what would happen. smile

Finally he began to realize something was wrong and started slowing up. He turned around and looked back at the passengers. A young woman got up and began to explain to him in Spanish he had gone off route. Soon as he realized he instantly pulled to the curb. But it was too late. We were almost at the corner across from the Tarrytown station.

He told everyone to sit tight and he'd loop back. Just tell him where to turn. Everyone was yelling,"It's okay, it's okay." He had missed two stops, actually. One on Central Avenue where hardly anyone gets off. (I think one guy that got off at that stop wanted him to go back.) For the rest of us -- who get off on Wildey -- it wasn't worth the time. We were only a block away. Plus as I recall it was a Friday night, everyone coming home from work. Nothing bothers working people on Friday night!

So he opened up where he'd pulled to the curb and let us off. He was apolgizing but people were saying, "Yeah it's okay, don't worry about it." By now most of the riders were laughing about it but the bus operator seemed a little upset to have messed up this way. He mentioned he had not been on the 13 before and "there's a lotta turns." Then he laughed too.

Case closed!

(PS-This is a long post so if anyone wants to reply please don't quote the entire message. Please? Just a snippet, right, mod? smile )

#500212 - 06/11/11 06:51 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

Getting a little off-topic, I remember once, I was on the S44, and what the driver is supposed to do is turn right from Morningstar Road onto Walker Street, turn left onto Port Richmond Avenue, and then turn right onto Post Avenue.

However, maybe because he wasn't familiar with the route, he stayed straight on Morningstar Road. Rather than try to turn around (maybe he didn't realize that he could use the side streets in the area to get back onto the correct route), he decided to stay straight on Morningstar Road, turn right at Innis Street, left on Nicholas Avenue, right onto Castleton Avenue, left onto Port Richmond Avenue, and left onto Post Avenue.

Unfortauntely, the result was that he (most likely) passed some riders along Walker Street and Port Richmond Avenue. Had I realized what was happening, I would've told him how to go back on the route more quickly, and save passengers from waiting 15 minutes for the next bus. frown

#500223 - 06/15/11 08:18 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

For quite a while many of the 13 buses I rode -- I guess for much of 2010 -- were low floor NABIs. I like them very much. At first they seemed a bit awkward, not as much standee room for one thing and the rear seats are on an upper level. But you get used to it fast when you ride them everyday. What I like most about them is the smooth acceleration and the quiet ride.

I asked an operator once what he thought of them and he shrugged and said, "Really, it's just another bus."

But lately most of the 13s seem to be back to operating with 600 series high floor Orion Vs.

Past week or so I noticed-

The 619 has great A/C! smile The other morning the 618 sounded like a vacuum cleaner. And the other night 606's rear door wouldn't open. (That's pretty rare for Bee-Line.)

#500225 - 06/16/11 08:51 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Q89LCL Offline

what routes do the neoplans go on?

#500227 - 06/16/11 08:23 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Q89LCL]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

And the other night 606's rear door wouldn't open. (That's pretty rare for Bee-Line.)

Same thing happened again tonight. An Orion V on the 13 with a back door that wouldn't open. It wasn't the 606, though, it was another bus. It was the same operator on the same run. What are the odds of that? To have it happen to a guy on two buses in three nights? In twenty years of riding -- even counting the beaten up New Looks of the early 1990s -- I don't think I've seen this happen on Bee-Line more than....I could count the times on one hand actually.

Maybe the problem is the operator not the doors. But why would an operator NOT want to use the rear door? confused

Originally Posted By: Q89LCL
what routes do the neoplans go on?

I can only list the routes I've seen with Neoplan Artics-

1C-1T-1W

I wonder about the 4 but I hardly ever see those buses. The 13 used to get one Artic on a Saturday night trip (to Tarrytown that originated in White Plains). Never saw an Artic on the 11, 14 or 17.

Edited by tommy meehan (06/16/11 08:25 PM)

#500232 - 06/23/11 08:22 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Tonight traffic in the Elmsford area was a mess! Some of the worse I've ever seen, not counting around Christmastime or during a serious snow storm. The afternoon's torrential rains closed parts of the Saw Mill River Parkway, the main north/south route (except for trucks) in Elmsford which put unusual amounts of cars on Rt. 9A. There was also some serious flooding in Rockland -- a friend of a co-worker emailed him cell fone photos of flooded Rockland streets with water over the roofs of stalled cars -- and that caused back ups on the NYS Thruway and Tappan Zee Bridge. That in turn created a spill back effect onto I-287, the main east/west route through Elmsford. That caused motorists to detour on Rt.119 creating a huge jam.

All the buses I saw -- the 1W, the 5, 11, 13, 14 -- were running late, the 13s about 20-25 minutes. (That pretty nearly preserves the 13's twenty-minute headway, the buses are just in the wrong order.)

Here's the part where it got wierd.

I stopped at a Dunkin Donuts on Rt.119 to have an iced latte after work. When I came out a 13-Ossining was maybe twenty feet past the stop. Too far for the driver to open up I suppose. mad

So I decided to walk down to the CVS in Elmsford Square, get a couple of things and take the next 13 that came along. Only as I started walking I noticed I was making better time than the bus. In fact I could've gotten on the bus at the next stop. We both got there at the same time. It's about six blocks from the Dunkin Donuts to CVS (they're short blocks) at Elmsford Square and I got there ahead of the bus.

I briefly considered boarding the 13 at the Square but by then I had noticed the bus (it was an Orion V, the 604) had a swinging load, it was packed. (Not unusual for the 13-Ossining as only one rush hour 13 out of three runs beyond Tarrytown to Ossining.) I decided it wouldn't be too smart to board a crowded bus stuck in heavy, slow moving traffic. I went in the CVS.

When I came out I waited about ten minutes and a 13-Tarrytown came along. Plenty of seats. The traffic was still pretty bad but we did okay. Very few people got on or off before Tarrytown. When I got off on Wildey Street by the McDonald's, I decided to pick up a coffee-to-go. While I was on line I looked out the window and saw a bus coming off the loop from the train station. It was 604 heading to Ossining, I had caught up to him!

That's some serious traffic!

#500233 - 06/24/11 03:40 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

1)I remember waiting for a BxM3 in Yonkers and seeing some BL-4s passing by. I'm 99% sure that they were regular buses.

2) I remember taking a trip through Westchester and things look like they flood pretty bad: Worse than anything in NYC. I remember passing by parks and everybody thought that they were lakes until they saw the benches and equipment sticking out of the water.

#500234 - 06/24/11 06:33 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Originally Posted By: checkmatechamp13
1)I remember waiting for a BxM3 in Yonkers and seeing some BL-4s passing by. I'm 99% sure that they were regular buses.

I seem to recall seeing a Neoplan Artic on a 4 once at Bedford Park in the Bronx (while waiting for a 20). Possibly other times.

However I don't believe the 4 is all-Artic, there are only a few routes that run exclusively (or almost exclusively) with Artics. Of the routes I see regularly, the 20, 40 and the 60 are the only ones that come to mind.

#500235 - 06/25/11 03:16 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

And the other night 606's rear door wouldn't open. (That's pretty rare for Bee-Line.)

Same thing happened again tonight. An Orion V on the 13 with a back door that wouldn't open. It wasn't the 606, though, it was another bus. It was the same operator on the same run. What are the odds of that? To have it happen to a guy on two buses in three nights?

Guess it was the door and not the operator. frown

(That's why I don't like to be too specific about who did what. Unless you know for sure you might be doing someone an injustice. I learned that driving a cab. People accused us of all kinds of stuff, but often the problem wasn't anything a driver could control.)

Anyway, the bus the second night (when the operator said -- for the second night in a row -- the rear door wasn't working right, for everyone to exit from the front) was the 607.

Know what? Yep. Same thing the other evening, different bus operator, same bus. He said 607's rear door had been giving him trouble all afteroon.

Ironically I boarded 607 the following morning and I sat up front in case the rear door didn't open. But it performed flawlessly.

That might be why it hasn't been fixed. (Or maybe it had been fixed?) It's an intermittent failure. The cause of an intermittent failure can be hard to find. If you can't find the problem you can't fix it.

#500236 - 06/27/11 07:03 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

I boarded 607 the following morning and I sat up front in case the rear door didn't open. But it performed flawlessly....That might be why it hasn't been fixed. (Or maybe it had been fixed?) It's an intermittent failure.

It wasn't fixed. Or at least it didn't stay fixed. frown

Once again 607 was the bus assigned to the 13 I ride in the morning to work. I had convinced myself the cranky rear door problem had been taken care of and I took a seat towards the rear. It didn't work properly even once this morning!

Everytime the operator opened the rear door it would refuse to close. Every time! He had to keep manipulating what I think is a toggle switch and eventually it would close. Eventually. Then he stopped using it until, that is, we got to Elmsford Square (where I got off). He tried it again there I think because the bus had gotten pretty crowded and there were a number of people lining up to exit through the rear door (not me).

I got off the 13, crossed 119 and then, after the light changed (and the left turn arrow went off), crossed Rt 9A. Then, as I stood waiting for a 1C, I looked across the intersection and I had to laugh. There was poor ole 607 still sitting at the bus stop, the operator trying over and over to get the rear door to close. smile

By coincidence, I was on 606 -- the other Orion with a tempermental door -- on the way home. Guess that one WAS fixed. I sat across from the rear door and it worked flawlessly.

#500237 - 06/27/11 09:44 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Just occurred to me I should mention -- for those who don't ride Bee-Line -- all Bee-Line buses have operator-controlled rear doors. No "air-assist" strips for riders to push or anything like that.

#500243 - 06/28/11 08:01 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

This morning once again the bus on the 13 was 607. After the problems yesterday morning, I guess the rear door WAS fixed. This morning it worked perfectly. I even exited through it at Elmsford Square.

Coincidently, I was on 606 again on the way home tonight. No problems with the rear door either.

What is unusual for me is to keep getting the same two Orion Vs over and over. Hey Bee-Line enough already, let's rotate some equipment! grin

#500244 - 06/29/11 10:20 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Quote:
What is unusual for me is to keep getting the same two Orion Vs over and over....enough already! grin

Today I didn't even see 606 or 607. smile

================================================================

One difference between Bee-Line ridership and riders on say MaBSTOA is that Bee-Line riders are a lot less assertive. Case in point:

This morning on the 1C the operator seemed new to the route. At least I don't recall seeing him before (maybe once or twice) and he had trouble spotting the bus stops. Right after I got on a guy rang the bell but it was obvious the bus wasn't going to stop at his stop. The speed never slackened and we rolled right on by. In the meantime the guy who wanted to get off quickly stepped up near the front door but he never said a word to the operator.

It was a long ways to the next bus stop too. About four or five blocks, or the equivalent, since the I-287 Exit 2 interchange is in between. Actually there once WAS a stop located at Exit 2's westbound off ramp but Bee-Line eliminated it about ten years ago. They did so, according to the drivers, because it was not a safe place to stop. (It wasn't!)

Anyway, the poor guy who missed his stop stood quietly by the front door until we reached the next stop. He never said a word. And he looked very forlorn as he started walking back along 9A.

The 1C operator almost missed my stop too. He was getting very close to the stop while still moving at regular speed. My buddy and I (he's from Brooklyn and works in the same building I do) were all set to let out a yell but at the last moment the driver began to brake hard.

He stopped with the front of the Artic jutting out into the cross street, something the operators almost never do. Guess he almost did miss our stop.

But almost doesn't count, right? smile

#500245 - 06/30/11 09:39 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

mad

Tonight I went shopping in White Plains after work. When I boarded a 13 to go home I glanced at the fleet number as I climbed the front steps. 607! I can't shake loose of this bus all of a sudden.

To make matters worse, I was eager to grab a seat and finish a magazine article I had started reading, so I didn't notice for a while that...the rear door wasn't in use. The operator was even announcing, "Use the front door" approaching stops.

Again?

It might be me. To be honest, I'm not sure in twenty years of riding Bee-Line if I ever really do remember a bus with an inoperative rear door. It might've happened a few times -- like maybe two or three -- but I really don't remember it.

But since I mentioned the problem here.......it's become a common occurence. Damn! frown

#500259 - 07/07/11 01:47 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
cecil6winte Offline
Tourist

Loc: 5 Medlock Bridge Rd, Duluth,GA
What is actual the concept of Bee-Line?

next day delivery

#500267 - 07/07/11 10:30 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

This morning the Orion V on the eastbound 13 run had about 45 passengers on board within three stops from Tarrytown train station. I rode towards the rear and I could see all but about three or four seats were filled plus we had three or four standees. (Orion Vs carry 44 passengers seated.) That's pretty good for a suburban transit line, especially when you consider the 13 pretty much empties out and reloads at White Plains.

Sadly in the local paper today there was an article about the troubled Platinum Mile, a string of office parks along Westchester Avenue and I-287 east of downtown White Plains. The 13 is the only transit route that serves this corridor. Yet starting with the onset of the recession in 2008 there has been a steady decline in the number of offices and people employed along the Platinum Mile.

The catalyst for today's article was the announcement Wednesday by Nokia, the Finnish telecommunications company, that they are closing their Westchester Avenue offices entirely.

That's not going to help the Platinum Mile or the 13 buses.

Despite the 13's robust ridership in rush hour, loads are much lighter during midday. In fact a survey by Westchester DOT a year or two ago showed the 13 line barely covers half its operating costs. frown

#500269 - 07/08/11 09:48 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Below is a fone photo I took early this morning on a Port Chester-bound No.13 bus in Tarrytown. An Orion V, the 611 I think.

Plenty of seats but we hadn't even started the trip. We were still sitting at the Tarrytown Metro-North station. By the time we left the next stop -- the one near McDonald's on Wildey Street -- there were only a few seats left.

Edited by tommy meehan (07/08/11 09:57 PM)

#500277 - 07/11/11 10:24 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

What's the best part of the day? That's a no-brainer....going home!

Here is my bus home tonight (the first one anyway), comfortably crowded, nice and cool, a NABI lo-floor on the 14 line. We're passing Sam's Club on Rt. 9A in Elmsford with a 1C (Orion V) dead ahead.

#500306 - 07/22/11 10:36 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Below is a fone photo of probably my favorite Bee-Line bus stop of all. The one located at the NE quadrant of Rts. 119 and 9A in Elmsford. My favorite cause when I get on a bus here I know when I get off.....I'm home! The photo was taken Thursday evening and shows an Artic on a 1W arriving westbound on Rt.119. That means a 13 should be getting close. wink

#500339 - 08/06/11 01:04 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Another cell phone photo, this one taken on a hot hazy weekday evening this past week at Elmsford Square. Not the best photo, taken in strong cross light. (Notice how the destination board on the low-floor is bleached out?) But I did my best. smile

Shown are two 14 route buses passing on Saw Mill River Road (Rt.9A). The Orion V on the right has just swung right off Rt.119 and is stopped at the northbound bus stop. The White Plains-bound NABI low-floor is waiting for the light to change and then will turn left and stop at the bus stop on RT.119.

#500348 - 08/07/11 08:25 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Q89LCL Offline

nice photos and the orions are still hanging in.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MoOnMaN319, RokuSix 
Newest Members
Meagan, zakir, Plowbeast, ChrisRider, Jeff
4364 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4364 Members
20 Forums
26628 Topics
499306 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM