Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500117 - 05/14/11 12:04 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Planet Earth
Originally Posted By: tommy meehan
Why are you guys highjacking this thread and turning it into a discussion about Bee-Line BRT? Don't you think that's kind of a crappy thing to do? Especially when I asked "the OP" please either start a thread about it or post it in the thread about Bee-Line bus routes?

You want me to stop posting, is that? It bother you? This is basically two guys and it's reaching the harassment stage.

Hold on. Highjacking? The is about Bee-Line buses, and the BRT comment was about BRT buses, specifically talking about how you would be affected by the new BRT.

And after you told me to stop posting, I stopped, so I don’t see where you’re coming from with this.

And harassment? Don’t make me laugh. I’m not threatening you in any way, and I‘m not even personally contacting you at all. You’re free to ignore my posts if you wish. What, you wanted your own private diary as a thread? Why did you post here if you weren’t willing to listen to responses?

If you’re going to act like this, then yes, I would like you to stop posting. This thread was going fine until you started accusing me of “highjacking” this thread.

It's not about nostalgia. It's about commuting on Bee-Line right now today. It's also not about running across the street to catch a bus in Staten Island. Or the plan from several years ago to implement BRT on Central Park Avenue.

Roku I appreciate you backing me up, I really do. But I think some of these messages should be deleted. They're a form of graffiti, and when it's erased it stops.

Like "the OP" who responds to all the messages in the thread. With the exception of mine.

When people do stuff like that if you have common sense you know they're not trying to discuss they're trying to bust chops.

Hello?

Everything is all inter-related, and like I said, after you asked me to stop, I stopped.

And I have responded to your comments with relevant comments, so I don’t see where you’re getting “with the exception of mine”.

And I’d like to know who this second poster is: Yuki just happened to stumble into this thread and wanted to respond, and Q89LCL was interested in replying to my comments.

Roku, you can go ahead and erase my “graffiti” if it will make this little crybaby shut up.

Conductor on a Brooklyn-bound B train. 2004

#500118 - 05/14/11 10:55 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Yonkers NY
Originally Posted By: checkmatechamp13
The is about Bee-Line buses, and the BRT comment was about BRT buses...What, you wanted your own private diary as a thread?...I would like you to stop posting...

This particular thread that I started is not everything to do with Bee-Line buses. It's not. There's a catchall thread in this forum that is concerned with all routes. If you're so interested in BRT why don't you just simply move it over there?

Did I think I could have a thread that was my diary about riding Bee-Line? This forum -- the entire forum! -- is called Rider Diaries. Yeah. This was supposed to be mine. Is that okay with you?

Do you realize this forum is sponsored by the Straphangers Campaign, not a buff group? When I first started reading these forums it was mostly people who commuted writing about their commutes. They obviously had more than a passing interest in transit and what they were riding but it wasn't a buff group. Gradually the buffs drove everyone out. The same way you and your buddy are trying to drive me out.

Think about it and tell me I'm wrong.

I wouldn't mind discussing the BRT plan with you, I just don't want to do it in this thread. I want to keep this thread about everyday riding on the Bee-Line. My experiences and any other commuter that cares to comment. There's not only nothing wrong with that, it was what these forums were supposed to be all about.

Why don't you move your comments about BRT to the Bee-Line Bus Route thread? I was hoping you would.

#500119 - 05/14/11 01:05 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

The is about Bee-Line buses, and the BRT comment was about BRT buses...What, you wanted your own private diary as a thread?...I would like you to stop posting...

This particular thread that I started is not everything to do with Bee-Line buses. It's not. There's a catchall thread in this forum that is concerned with all routes. If you're so interested in BRT why don't you just simply move it over there?

Did I think I could have a thread that was my diary about riding Bee-Line? This forum -- the entire forum! -- is called Rider Diaries. Yeah. This was supposed to be mine. Is that okay with you?

Do you realize this forum is sponsored by the Straphangers Campaign, not a buff group? When I first started reading these forums it was mostly people who commuted writing about their commutes. They obviously had more than a passing interest in transit and what they were riding but it wasn't a buff group. Gradually the buffs drove everyone out. The same way you and your buddy are trying to drive me out.

Think about it and tell me I'm wrong.

I wouldn't mind discussing the BRT plan with you, I just don't want to do it in this thread. I want to keep this thread about everyday riding on the Bee-Line. My experiences and any other commuter that cares to comment. There's not only nothing wrong with that, it was what these forums were supposed to be all about.

Why don't you move your comments about BRT to the Bee-Line Bus Route thread? I was hoping you would.

At first I thought that it was relevant to the topic. After you asked me to stop making posts about BRT, I stopped. As far as moving them to another thread, I don't know how: You probably have to be a moderator like Q89LCL or RokuSix in order to do that.

In other forums, these types of threads spread out into other topics (some take it to the extreme of turning it into personal arguments, but that's another story), and everybody is OK with that, as long as the discussion is civil. I figured that the same rule would apply here.

And we weren't intending to drive you out. After you asked me to stop posting I stopped, and the reason why Q89LCL kept on talking about BRT is because you didn't ask him to stop (he knows that discussions like these end up diverging slightly anyway, and is is a moderator, so he knows the rules of these forums.)

For those reasons, I do take offense to the accusations of "highjacking" the thread and "harassing" you. You know full well you overinflated the matter.

#500120 - 05/14/11 03:23 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

I do take offense to the accusations of "highjacking" the thread..

Urban Dictionary says: Thread Hijacking - Taking over a thread on a message board by taking a part of the original posted topic, twisting it around and "hijacking" the thread itself. What happens is that the original content contained in the post becomes moot and whatever the "Thread Jacker" has manipulated the content to be becomes the new content thereby "hijacking" the original intent of post. People now respond to the "thread jacker's" input and the that becomes the focus of the thread.

Hi everyone. Thought I would make some posts about what it's like to commute on the Bee-Line system which I have done since 1991. Be twenty years this April 15th!

........The 27's next stop south is two blocks away at Payne Street -- a l-o-n-g two blocks -- and this guy took off after it. Last I saw of him he was hotfooting it south.

That sounds like something I would do.

I remember once, all I had on my Student MetroCard was a transfer, so I had to take a bus that would give me a one-seat ride to my neighborhood. I ran up from to Broadway/Cary Avenue and saw an S94 pulling into the bus stop. I ran across the street, but after everybody else got off, the bus driver just closed the door, even though I ran up to the bus and hit the door as he was pulling out. I was seriously comtemplating running 0.4 miles to the next limited stop (Clove Road), but figured I wouldn't make it.

So I decided to use my backup plan: The S96, but I ran up to Castleton Avenue and saw that pulling out as well.

Originally Posted By: Q89LCL
so what did you take the S74 or s76?

Ladies and gentleman of the jury at this time I would respectfully like to suggest the defendants are guilty as charged! I rest my case. grin

Edited by tommy meehan (05/14/11 03:27 PM)

#500121 - 05/14/11 06:25 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

I do take offense to the accusations of "highjacking" the thread..

Urban Dictionary says: Thread Hijacking - Taking over a thread on a message board by taking a part of the original posted topic, twisting it around and "hijacking" the thread itself. What happens is that the original content contained in the post becomes moot and whatever the "Thread Jacker" has manipulated the content to be becomes the new content thereby "hijacking" the original intent of post. People now respond to the "thread jacker's" input and the that becomes the focus of the thread.

Hi everyone. Thought I would make some posts about what it's like to commute on the Bee-Line system which I have done since 1991. Be twenty years this April 15th!

........The 27's next stop south is two blocks away at Payne Street -- a l-o-n-g two blocks -- and this guy took off after it. Last I saw of him he was hotfooting it south.

That sounds like something I would do.

I remember once, all I had on my Student MetroCard wasread of a transfer, so I had to take a bus that would give me a one-seat ride to my neighborhood. I ran up from to Broadway/Cary Avenue and saw an S94 pulling into the bus stop. I ran across the street, but after everybody else got off, the bus driver just closed the door, even though I ran up to the bus and hit the door as he was pulling out. I was seriously comtemplating running 0.4 miles to the next limited stop (Clove Road), but figured I wouldn't make it.

So I decided to use my backup plan: The S96, but I ran up to Castleton Avenue and saw that pulling out as well.

Originally Posted By: Q89LCL
so what did you take the S74 or s76?

Ladies and gentleman of the jury at this time I would respectfully like to suggest the defendants are guilty as charged! I rest my case. grin

But my comment was relevant to your story: You were talking about how a man was chasing after the bus, and I was talking about my own experience chasing after a bus.

And you act like it was planned for Q89LCL to respond and take the thread off-topic (by saying defendants in the plural)

In any case, I notice how you avoidded answering my question about harrassment.

Here is Dictionary.com's definition of harassment:

1. to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute.
2. to trouble by repeated attacks, incursions, etc., as in war or hostilities; harry; raid.

I haven't disturbed or attacked you in any way. You're telling me it disturbs you if a thread goes off-topic? It's caused you to have nightmares about this thread going off-topic?

#500123 - 05/16/11 11:02 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Q89LCL Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY
hold on you saying i hijacked thread. this is a forum to discuss anything about the topic and promote discussion not to be putting blame on anyone,act civilized and "STOP" acusing people.
im sorry if an off topic post lead to an other discussion but you are over exadurating.

#500125 - 05/16/11 11:32 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Q89LCL]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

In wondering if perhaps rising fuel prices are increasing ridership I thought about one of the morning 13s I take from Tarrytown. When I'm running late. Unlike the earlier buses -- which are mostly working people (like me) -- this later bus has a lot of office workers on it. Suits and ties. Mostly headed for the office parks along Rt. 119. I wondered if some of them have maybe given up driving (because of gas prices) and decided to start taking the bus. This being exactly the demographic Bee-Line needs to attract more of.

Sadly, I think they're just former riders of the office park shuttles that Bee-Line discontinued the last time fuel prices spiked.

#500133 - 05/16/11 09:35 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Westchester County
Bee-Line ridership down every month this year.

#500134 - 05/16/11 10:41 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: dadbo46]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

That's not good news. Especially with fuel prices way way up. frown

#500136 - 05/18/11 12:25 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

In wondering if perhaps rising fuel prices are increasing ridership I thought about one of the morning 13s I take from Tarrytown. When I'm running late. Unlike the earlier buses -- which are mostly working people (like me) -- this later bus has a lot of office workers on it. Suits and ties. Mostly headed for the office parks along Rt. 119. I wondered if some of them have maybe given up driving (because of gas prices) and decided to start taking the bus. This being exactly the demographic Bee-Line needs to attract more of.

Sadly, I think they're just former riders of the office park shuttles that Bee-Line discontinued the last time fuel prices spiked.

1) Where do a lot of these riders originate? Do they come from the Tarrytown MNRR station?

2) Even if they were formerly riding shuttle to work, it is still good that they are using mass transit and giving their money to fund the bus system (and on a side note, that means that there are fewer office shuttles, which means a slight decrease in traffic and pollution)

#500148 - 05/19/11 08:12 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

On the later bus I sometimes I ride, the office workers on board, who are mostly headed for office parks along Rt. 119, seem to live either in Yonkers or the Bronx. They get to Tarrytown via a Metro-North Hudson Line local.

#500150 - 05/19/11 10:50 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

At least it shows that the quality of Metro-North service is good enough to attract those type of riders to transit.

#500157 - 05/20/11 06:22 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

To me what it shows is that people in the Bronx or Yonkers aren't locked into the drive-at-all-costs hardcore suburban mentality. They are willing to use transit.

They used to say if gas ever got to $5 a gallon THEN you'd see people getting out of their cars. Well if you burn premium unleaded you're almost there now and people AREN'T getting out of their cars.

Some people seem like they'd cut back on food before they'd even consider another way to commute. I have asked friends and co-workers if they have ever considered taking the bus and most say, "No no, I couldn't. I just couldn't! It's not for me." eek

#500158 - 05/20/11 09:49 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

You're right: That's a bad mentality to have when your cutting back on essentials just to avoid taking transit.

Hopefully, when gas reaches $6 or $7 per gallon, people will realize that transit is a reasonable alternative, at least to owning a second car (I think gas will need to be a lot more expensive before people consider giving up their first car)

One question: How frequent (on average) is service along Rt. 119? I think there's the 1C and 13 and a few other routes running on there, but what is the longest time you'd realistically expect to wait for a bus during rush hour.

#500159 - 05/21/11 12:15 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

The 13 runs every twenty minutes durng the rush hour. In the afternoon in Elmsford that means a bus every twenty minutes from 3:30 PM to 7:30 PM, four hours. During mid-day the 13 operates every thirty minutes.

The 1W runs on Rt.119 from White Plains to B'way Rt.9 in Tarrytown. (The 1C operates on Rt.9A, Saw Mill River Road, from Elmsford to Ardsley.) Routes 5 and 14 also operate on 119 between Elmsford and White Plains. There is a limited stops (27) on 119 between Elmsford and White Plains in rush hour too (30 minute headways for the most part).

There is a lot of service between Elmsford and White Plains.

#500167 - 05/25/11 11:50 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

The 13 runs every twenty minutes durng the rush hour. In the afternoon in Elmsford that means a bus every twenty minutes from 3:30 PM to 7:30 PM, four hours. During mid-day the 13 operates every thirty minutes.

The 1W runs on Rt.119 from White Plains to B'way Rt.9 in Tarrytown. (The 1C operates on Rt.9A, Saw Mill River Road, from Elmsford to Ardsley.) Routes 5 and 14 also operate on 119 between Elmsford and White Plains. There is a limited stops (27) on 119 between Elmsford and White Plains in rush hour too (30 minute headways for the most part).

There is a lot of service between Elmsford and White Plains.

If you're trip was solely along Rt. 119, are TZX drivers allowed to let you on at the Tarrytown rail station?

Is there a transit center or something like that in Elmsford? It would make sense to put one there because you have a whole bunch of bus lines converging there.

#500169 - 05/26/11 09:09 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

If you're trip was solely along Rt. 119, are TZX drivers allowed to let you on at the Tarrytown rail station?

Would TZX operators let you get on to go where? East on 119? I don't think they operate on 119 anymore, they take I-287 east to Exit 5 and then go into White Plains. During the strike a few years back Rockland buses would not carry anyone strictly within Westchester. Is that still the case? I don't know.

As for Elmsford, the buses all connect at the intersection of Rts. 9A and 119. There is no transit center there, just bus stops on all four corners. It's called Elmsford Square in Bee-Line timetables.

It's a commercial district and there is no available land to build a transit center on. Buses go in all four directions so even if land were available it would be hard to design a center that all routes could access without looping off-route (which riders hate!).

Second, I don't see too many people making transfers there. The one I see most is between the 5 and the rush-hour 27. People who live in Yonkers and work along Rt. 9A in Elmsford or Hawthorne. Next would be people like me, I guess, who go to/from Tarrytown on the 13 to the 1C/14/27 to jobs along Rt. 9A in Elmsford or Hawthorne.

But usually I only see five or six people at a time making the transfer.

#500170 - 05/26/11 11:20 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

That's what I meant: East on Rt. 119.

When did they switch the TZX from Rt. 119 to I-287?

I see what you're saying: if not too many people make that transfer during rush hours, there probably aren't too many off-peak.

By the way, how crowded are those routes during rush hour? Does every one of them have at least a seated load? I would imagine the 13 to be pretty busy, seeing as it it connects the 3 MNRR lines.

#500171 - 05/27/11 06:23 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

When did the TZX stop using Rt.119 in Westchester? I don't ride the TZX but I don't see them along Rt.119 anymore, haven't for several years. I looked at their website (I don't have a link, I Googled "TZX") and on the route map it looks like they might use Rt. 119 between Rt.9 and Exit 1 on I-287, which is about a mile. However, they don't list any stops between Tarrytown RR station and County Center in White Plains.

Schedules also show that eastbound (towards White Plains) they don't pick up riders in Westchester, only drop off. Westbound (towards Rockland) they don't drop riders in Westchester, they only pick up.

Occasionally in the morning one of the Rockland buses pulls up along my Bee-Line bus by the Exit 1 interchange in Greenburgh. We're going east on 119, the TZX is getting in the turn lane to get on 287 East. I also sometimes see a Rockland bus stopped at a bus stop by a office park not far from there. Not sure he's dropping someone off, looks more like he just stops for a minute to....catch up to his schedule? I dunno.

#500173 - 05/28/11 11:28 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

By the way, how crowded are those routes during rush hour?

The routes vary a lot, even day-to-day. Based on riding (and ridership is down a bit, darnit) the 14 and 27 are the two routes where I often have to stand. Almost never on the 1C. I don't take the 5 often, but I hardly ever see standees. But not a lot of seats available on some of the 5s. There is another rush hour limited stops bus on 119 between White Plains and Elmsford Square I didn't mention. The 11 to Croton, which seems to be the least crowded.

The 13 varies. Sometimes there are standees but not too often, or not for very long anyway, as people are constantly getting on and off.

The 13 is an interesting route. It runs between Port Chester and Ossining (short turns to Tarrytown) about 20 miles total. It usually loads twice.

Most Port Chester side riders are heading to or near White Plains. Tarrytown side riders ditto, it often empties out at White Plains.

I've gotten on westbound 13s in the evening on Westchester Avenue on the east side of White Plains and the bus is crowded. As it begins to make the downtown White Plains stops it empties out but new riders are getting on. I've learned if you don't have a window seat you can usually get one between the Galleria and Transcenter stops in White Plains. But there might very well be standees by the time you leave the White Plains Transcenter.

The first couple of stops out of White Plains they're picking up more riders. By the time the bus reaches Rt.119 and Hillside Avenue in Greenburgh it can often be packed.

But in that stretch of 119 you start dropping more riders then get on. Until you reach Elmsford where you start gaining riders again.

I've noticed some nights I think we stop at just about every single stop. I asked an operator once if that was true and he laughed. He said, yes it is true and that's why he didn't like working the 13. Too much work! smile

Edited by tommy meehan (05/28/11 11:31 AM)

#500174 - 05/28/11 11:40 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

I just looked at the 27 schedule and it says that one of the buses runs nonstop from North Broadway/Main Street (White Plains) to Main Street/Nelson Avenue (Peekskill). Does that mean that it skips the White Plains Transit Center?

Also, how can it serve Peekskill if it ends further south in Hawthorne? Is that an error?

This is the schedule I'm referring to: http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_27_timetable.pdf

So the crowding on the 13 is fairly equal on both sides of White Plains, correct?

#500175 - 05/29/11 12:26 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

It means the trip continues on to Peekskill. That bus serve the regular 27 stops, I see it just about every weekday morning. I know people who ride it every morning. I usually let it go because a) it skips my stop and b) there's usually no seats.

I think that's basically a deadhead (Hawthorne to Peekskill) that carries passengers. Good for Bee-Line. smile

#500177 - 05/29/11 01:00 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

That's good. So how come the other trips don't run to Peekskill? Are they interlined with other routes? (Does a bus come in as one route and out as a 27 or vice versa)

So does that bus run nonstop from Hawthorne to Peekskill?

#500178 - 05/29/11 05:30 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

The 27 is not interlined to any other route that I'm aware of. In the afternoon one of the 27s turns at White Plains and becomes a 14. I don't know about the others. Several are assigned Artics so that would limit the routes they could operate on.

The one in the morning that continues on to Peekskill is usually a low-floor NABI.

#500191 - 06/04/11 05:24 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

I admit it, sometimes commuting by bus doesn't work too well, frown

One night this week I got out of work a little later than I wanted. I punched out at 5:21 PM and hoped to make the 5:40 PM No.14 to Elmsford Square. I was still about one hundred yards from the bus stop on 9A when I saw the bus pass. Missed it! mad

It was 5:35 and the next bus was a 27 at 6:18, forty-three minutes. So...

I tried to make lemonade out of lemons. I had a magazine I wanted to read so I went to the nearby Dunkin Donuts and relaxed with an iced latte until it was time to go back to the bus stop.

I got the 27, transferred to a 13 and was home by 7:10, about forty minutes later than planned. Hey it happens but, luckily, not too often.

My girlfriend would say, "Why don't you take the car? You'd have been home by 5:40!" I explain, sometimes you get stuck in traffic too. And I like taking the bus. I like to relax and, especially on the way home, read a favorite magazine that I otherwise seem to have little time for. Which is how I passed the time the other night waiting for the "next bus."

Great article about Pepsico. Did you know the average American drinks forty gallons of soda per year? eek

Edited by tommy meehan (06/04/11 05:26 PM)

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MoOnMaN319, RokuSix 
Search

Newest Members
MDB, Nitania13, Quinnz, Natethekid39, perrierberet
4370 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
4370 Members
20 Forums
26644 Topics
499362 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM