Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500006 - 04/01/11 10:54 PM Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Yonkers NY
Hi everyone. Thought I would make some posts about what it's like to commute on the Bee-Line system which I have done since 1991. Be twenty years this April 15th!

I think most of the members here -- or a lot anyway -- are city residents as I once was too. Maybe I can answer some questions you have about your northern cousin or at least give you a word picture on what riding Bee-Line everyday has been like. Hope so anyway.

For starters you need to know the Bee-Line is a pretty cool operation. Very well-run and the operators are highly skilled.

#500007 - 04/01/11 11:29 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Right at the moment my commute takes me on two routes, though most of my trip is on the 13.

The Bee-Line operators switch runs periodically -- forget what they call it; not a "pick" that's an MaBSTOA term -- and we have a new driver on my morning bus. This is a 13-Port Chester that originates at Tarrytown train station, a pretty early trip too. (I'm not going to say exactly which one for reasons that will soon be apparent.)

This operator (unlike most of the others we've had) has consistently been leaving Tarrytown RR station about five minutes late. He moves right along so we get to Elmsford Square (where I transfer) on time or, at most, a minute late.

However, this means I no longer make the connection with the 1C. Instead I just miss it and have to take a 14. The problem with that is, I always got a seat on the 1C but seldom do on the 14. I have to stand.

Should I call Bee-Line customer service and complain that he departs the originating terminal late every single morning? I'm kind of conflicted about complaining because the operator seems like a nice man. I don't want to get him in trouble, even mild trouble.

How can I beef that he doesn't get to Elmsford a couple or three minutes early, like I've become accustomed to in the past? That doesn't seem fair. Maybe he leaves a few minutes late so he doesn't have to dog it to stay on schedule.

In fact until I looked -- REALLY looked -- at the schedule, I thought he was late to Elmsford Square, that the previous drivers on this run had been right on-time. I discovered to my surprise he's the one who is right on-time, the previous operators had been arriving three or four minutes ahead of schedule at Elmsford Square. Huh!

I've also discovered he's one of those bus operators who is courteous and helpful to people. Who wants to make a problem for someone like that?

There's three or four other people make the transfer the way I do. They seem happy. So why should I be the one to make waves? Guess I'm just going to have to get used to standing on a 14 for three or four stops. smile

#500010 - 04/02/11 05:16 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

In the morning on the way to work I usually sit up front on the 13. Normally the first forward-facing seat on the driver side. Often I can hear the chatter between the buses and Control.

Friday a bus operator called Control from an originating point. Not sure where. He said it was almost time for him to leave but the bus ahead of him was still there. With passengers on the bus but no driver.

The operator asked, did Control want him to pull up and load the passengers from the driverless bus?

Control told him to hold on a minute, that they were "trying to contact" the other driver. They came back a minute later and said they had been unable to contact the other driver, to "go ahead" and take the people waiting on the other bus.

Never found out what happened. Had the other operator become ill? Did he quit? Did he decide he just couldn't face another day pushing a bus? smile

#500022 - 04/06/11 11:47 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

The regular operator is back on my morning 13 bus. He didn't go to another run, he was on vacation. We're back on our regular schedule. smile

So I'm riding the 1C again, and sitting down. The bus, a 1C that goes to the college (WCC), is almost always a Neoplan Artic. There's always a group of college students on board, many of them with a book out and making notes, or highlighting something. They appear to be doing last minute homework. Very last minute!

The 1C operator did something this morning that impressed me. We were coming up Rt. 9A and as we neared the stop at Payne St he began to slow down. As he slowed a middle-aged man, nicely dressed, had started to cross 9A against the light. He got out to the middle of the street and then realized he could not get across the southbound lanes. Too much oncoming traffic. And traffic on 9A, especially in the morning, is downright murderous. In the years I've been riding the bus to work I've seen two people get hit by cars at that intersection. And one of them was killed. frown

Nobody had rung the 'request stop' bell on the bus and when the person at the stop waved our driver off he resumed speed. Now the man crossing the street was kind of trapped in the middle of 9A. Too much southbound traffic and now the northbound 1C was approaching him too. A very dangerous place to be and the man seemed to be getting rattled.

So the operator of the 1C stopped. Just stopped and waited to see what the man was going to do. Give him a chance to collect his wits and retreat to the curb. In the meantime a trailer truck passing in the lefthand lane also stopped for the man. Very nice. Hey give the guy a chance to get out of the street. It's a few seconds and not worth a life.

I drove a cab for awhile and that happened to me. See someone try and dart across a busy street, then realize they weren't going to make it. I stopped for them too. When I did, with a passenger in the cab, you'd be surprised how many times people would tell me, "What're you stopping for? Run him over, the hell with him!"

Were they joking? They usually weren't laughing when they said it, they usually seemed angry.

I commend the 1C operator for excercising good judgement and showing some humanity. For reacting like a responsible adult. Instead of someone venting chronic anger.

#500051 - 04/22/11 12:14 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

This week I've been missing the transfer to the 1C at Elmsford Square in the morning. It's basically a crap shoot anyway, usually the difference is one single traffic light. When the 13 rolls up to the stop at Elmsford Square (the 1C-14-27 stop is on the corner diagonally opposite the 13's stop) if the light on Rt. 9A is red I make the 1C. If it's green I don't.

The timing is that close. and it's been that way for...for years actually. I either just make the 1C transfer or just miss it. Not a big deal, though, since the 1C is followed by a 27 and then a 14 within 5-10 minutes.

I like the 1C, however, because I always get a seat. On the Limited Stops 27 I not only have to stand but it skips my stop. I have to walk back a block. The 14 bus stops where I prefer to get off but I have to stand on that bus too.

The saving grace with the 14 is the operator. She always smiles and says good morning. smile

#500053 - 04/22/11 05:43 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

The timing of the various bus runs, especially in the morning, is somewhat amazing. The regularity of it.

The close timing between the 13-Port Chester I take and the 1C-WCC I transfer to is not unusual. Many mornings when I get to my final stop and I'm getting off the 1C a Limited Stops 11 is at the bus stop opposite. This happens again and again.

If I ride the 27 we often pass the 11 around Payne Street and Saw Mill River Road. In fact this was the exact scenario one morning about twelve years ago when I saw a woman hit by a car at that very intersection.

I was on a 27 going north when this woman tried to run across Rt. 9A for the 11. People on my bus saw her run into traffic and yelled, "No, no!"

She was struck by a southbound car. Apparently the driver didn't see her and didn't brake until the woman had actually been hit. The shouts of the people on my bus made me look out to see what the excitement was. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a middle-aged woman, dressed as if for an office job, go over the hood and the windshield of a car that was screeching to a halt. Then she got thrown off the car roof and landed face down in the street, all in one stomach-churning somersault.

A woman on my bus cried out that she knew her, that the woman had a mentally disabled daughter. "Who's going to take care of that girl now," this woman cried. The whole episode was ghastly.

I don't think the woman was killed though, just very very badly injured.

Edited by tommy meehan (04/22/11 05:45 PM)

#500054 - 04/23/11 02:40 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Planet Earth
Originally Posted By: tommy meehan
Right at the moment my commute takes me on two routes, though most of my trip is on the 13.

The Bee-Line operators switch runs periodically -- forget what they call it; not a "pick" that's an MaBSTOA term -- and we have a new driver on my morning bus. This is a 13-Port Chester that originates at Tarrytown train station, a pretty early trip too. (I'm not going to say exactly which one for reasons that will soon be apparent.)

This operator (unlike most of the others we've had) has consistently been leaving Tarrytown RR station about five minutes late. He moves right along so we get to Elmsford Square (where I transfer) on time or, at most, a minute late.

However, this means I no longer make the connection with the 1C. Instead I just miss it and have to take a 14. The problem with that is, I always got a seat on the 1C but seldom do on the 14. I have to stand.

Should I call Bee-Line customer service and complain that he departs the originating terminal late every single morning? I'm kind of conflicted about complaining because the operator seems like a nice man. I don't want to get him in trouble, even mild trouble.

How can I beef that he doesn't get to Elmsford a couple or three minutes early, like I've become accustomed to in the past? That doesn't seem fair. Maybe he leaves a few minutes late so he doesn't have to dog it to stay on schedule.

In fact until I looked -- REALLY looked -- at the schedule, I thought he was late to Elmsford Square, that the previous drivers on this run had been right on-time. I discovered to my surprise he's the one who is right on-time, the previous operators had been arriving three or four minutes ahead of schedule at Elmsford Square. Huh!

I've also discovered he's one of those bus operators who is courteous and helpful to people. Who wants to make a problem for someone like that?

There's three or four other people make the transfer the way I do. They seem happy. So why should I be the one to make waves? Guess I'm just going to have to get used to standing on a 14 for three or four stops. smile

You can try telling him that you need to transfer to the 1C, and see if he can honk to let the 1C driver know that you want to transfer. If the 1C isnít that crowded, the operator will probably easily be able to make up any time they lose by picking you up.

The regular operator is back on my morning 13 bus. He didn't go to another run, he was on vacation. We're back on our regular schedule. smile

So I'm riding the 1C again, and sitting down. The bus, a 1C that goes to the college (WCC), is almost always a Neoplan Artic. There's always a group of college students on board, many of them with a book out and making notes, or highlighting something. They appear to be doing last minute homework. Very last minute!

The 1C operator did something this morning that impressed me. We were coming up Rt. 9A and as we neared the stop at Payne St he began to slow down. As he slowed a middle-aged man, nicely dressed, had started to cross 9A against the light. He got out to the middle of the street and then realized he could not get across the southbound lanes. Too much oncoming traffic. And traffic on 9A, especially in the morning, is downright murderous. In the years I've been riding the bus to work I've seen two people get hit by cars at that intersection. And one of them was killed. frown

Nobody had rung the 'request stop' bell on the bus and when the person at the stop waved our driver off he resumed speed. Now the man crossing the street was kind of trapped in the middle of 9A. Too much southbound traffic and now the northbound 1C was approaching him too. A very dangerous place to be and the man seemed to be getting rattled.

So the operator of the 1C stopped. Just stopped and waited to see what the man was going to do. Give him a chance to collect his wits and retreat to the curb. In the meantime a trailer truck passing in the lefthand lane also stopped for the man. Very nice. Hey give the guy a chance to get out of the street. It's a few seconds and not worth a life.

I drove a cab for awhile and that happened to me. See someone try and dart across a busy street, then realize they weren't going to make it. I stopped for them too. When I did, with a passenger in the cab, you'd be surprised how many times people would tell me, "What're you stopping for? Run him over, the hell with him!"

Were they joking? They usually weren't laughing when they said it, they usually seemed angry.

I commend the 1C operator for excercising good judgement and showing some humanity. For reacting like a responsible adult. Instead of someone venting chronic anger.

My father always slows down for pedestrians who are trying to cross the street. He says that, even is you end up missing the traffic light, it is still faster than taking a bus (not that we have anything against buses, of course)

I guess it takes years of walking and taking public transportation to appreciate the comfort and speed of a car. The drivers you see flooring it even when a pedestrian is coming most likely never had to experience the waiting involved with taking public transportation. frown

This week I've been missing the transfer to the 1C at Elmsford Square in the morning. It's basically a crap shoot anyway, usually the difference is one single traffic light. When the 13 rolls up to the stop at Elmsford Square (the 1C-14-27 stop is on the corner diagonally opposite the 13's stop) if the light on Rt. 9A is red I make the 1C. If it's green I don't.

The timing is that close. and it's been that way for...for years actually. I either just make the 1C transfer or just miss it. Not a big deal, though, since the 1C is followed by a 27 and then a 14 within 5-10 minutes.

I like the 1C, however, because I always get a seat. On the Limited Stops 27 I not only have to stand but it skips my stop. I have to walk back a block. The 14 bus stops where I prefer to get off but I have to stand on that bus too.

The saving grace with the 14 is the operator. She always smiles and says good morning. smile

Iím an impatient type of person, so just missing a transfer and even having to wait 10 minutes for the next bus is irritating to say the least.

Your buses may be crowded up in Westchester, but nothing compares to the crowding that can occur on the S46/S96 in the morning. There are times when the bus passes by because there is no more room (though that often occurs because people donít want to move back). Sometimes we get lucky and the bus operator opens up the back door.

I remember once, the bus operator let somebody off of the bus, and I stuck my hand in the door to try and pry it open, but when I couldnít get the door open, I just ran towards my destination (it is about 0.5 miles away, so it isnĎt worth waiting for the next bus). The bus driver caught up to me 2 stops later and let me on the bus there.
I donít run for the bus. The bus runs for me!

The timing of the various bus runs, especially in the morning, is somewhat amazing. The regularity of it.

The close timing between the 13-Port Chester I take and the 1C-WCC I transfer to is not unusual. Many mornings when I get to my final stop and I'm getting off the 1C a Limited Stops 11 is at the bus stop opposite. This happens again and again.

If I ride the 27 we often pass the 11 around Payne Street and Saw Mill River Road. In fact this was the exact scenario one morning about twelve years ago when I saw a woman hit by a car at that very intersection.

I was on a 27 going north when this woman tried to run across Rt. 9A for the 11. People on my bus saw her run into traffic and yelled, "No, no!"

She was struck by a southbound car. Apparently the driver didn't see her and didn't brake until the woman had actually been hit. The shouts of the people on my bus made me look out to see what the excitement was. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a middle-aged woman, dressed as if for an office job, go over the hood and the windshield of a car that was screeching to a halt. Then she got thrown off the car roof and landed face down in the street, all in one stomach-churning somersault.

A woman on my bus cried out that she knew her, that the woman had a mentally disabled daughter. "Who's going to take care of that girl now," this woman cried. The whole episode was ghastly.

I don't think the woman was killed though, just very very badly injured.

I remember one time, at Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue (in Staten Island), a woman got off the S48 and saw an S59 waiting to turn. However, it had missed the turn signal and would have to wait for the next light cycle, leaving her, myself, and anybody else trying to make that transfer with plenty of time to get to the bus stop.

However, she ran across Forest Avenue, which is a busy throughfare, against the light. I was prepared for an accident as a car missed her by inches.

After the light changed for us to cross, I thought of how stupid that was. First of all, she wouldíve made the bus anyway. Second of all, Richmond Avenue has very frequent service at that hour (around 4:00PM). In fact, as I got off at my home stop, I saw an S44 coming in behind the S59, so if she had missed the bus, she wouldíve still been able to get home.

Granted, I do my fair share of jaywalking, but I do it when Iím sure it is the only way to catch the bus, and I make sure to see that the cars are far enough away so they donít hit me (and the center of the street is wider where I do it, so turning cars donít hit me)

Conductor on a Brooklyn-bound B train. 2004

#500059 - 04/24/11 12:04 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Originally Posted By: checkmatechamp13
You can try telling him that you need to transfer to the 1C, and see if he can honk to let the 1C driver know that you want to transfer.

Thanks for the reply.

First, the bus operator in question is no longer on this run. However even if he was, Elmsford Square is the intersection of Rts. 9A and 119. It is a very busy intersection, especially on weekday mornings. The eastbound 13 stop is at the SW corner and the northbound 1C stop is at the NE corner. With all the traffic I'm not sure the 1C operator would be aware of, or even hear, the 13 driver blowing his horn.

The 1C is a Neoplan Artic and, while I always find a seat, it is fairly crowded. There must be forty riders on board, most of them on their way to school. I wouldn't actually want the operator to wait for me, with the turning arrows on the traffic lights it can take a couple minutes to cross the intersection -especially when you have to cross both 9A and 119. Why make forty people sit for a couple minutes when I can get another bus in less than ten minutes?

I was once the very impatient type too. Ten minutes seemed like an eternity. But it's not an eternity. I've learned to relax a bit and go with the flow. Trust me, it works!

#500060 - 04/24/11 05:37 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

I also don't necessarily agree that my commute would be so much quicker by private car. In fact as I have explained to my girlfriend (when she wants to know why I don't use our second car to go to work), I don't agree at all.

First of all, in the morning I usually get coffee and a paper on the way to work. The place I stop at is at the bus stop so I only need to allow a few extra minutes.

In the evening I combine errands with my bus trip and they're very easily accomplished as the stores I shop in are all located either at the intersection where I transfer to the 13 or where I get off the 13 in my neighborhood. The Post Office, CVS, a delicatessen, a diner for coffee to go (to take home), the variety store where I play Lotto.

If I drive, forget it. First of all, some of the places I could not go to. At the morning coffee spot there is no parking available at all. The Post Office in Elmsford is very convenient to dash across to from my bus stop. As is the variety store. To drive to them...first, there's usually no parking. Except for the tiny Post Office lot which is usually blocked by cars waiting at the light.

These errands consume extra time when you're driving, when you have to say make a left into a parking lot on a street with heavy opposing rush hour traffic. When you maybe have to go around the block a couple times before you can find a parking space.

Realistically I would have to find new places, car-friendly places. Those places are usually not as nice to use. Bus riders usually chat a moment with the person behind the counter in the stores they regularly stop at. The storekeepers get to know you and you get to know them.

Privare car drivers don't usually chat. They're always in a hurry to pay and get back in their car.

I don't have to fight traffic. In the evening when I'm on the bus I have the time to relax and read the rest of the newspaper I didn't have time for at lunch. Read a magazine article. Plug in my Walkman and unwind.

By the time I get off the bus I'm relaxed. I wouldn't trade that time for anything.

But the bottom line is, I'm going to sacrifice a lot of serenity in exchange for what would probably be ten minutes in the morning and five minutes at night.

Once I leave work I don't have to be back for fifteen hours. An extra fifteen minutes is not a big deal. It's not.

Plus I save mucho $$$, support mass transit and help the planet.

I don't see the problem! smile

#500061 - 04/25/11 03:46 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

I also don't necessarily agree that my commute would be so much quicker by private car. In fact as I have explained to my girlfriend (when she wants to know why I don't use our second car to go to work), I don't agree at all.

First of all, in the morning I usually get coffee and a paper on the way to work. The place I stop at is at the bus stop so I only need to allow a few extra minutes.

In the evening I combine errands with my bus trip and they're very easily accomplished as the stores I shop in are all located either at the intersection where I transfer to the 13 or where I get off the 13 in my neighborhood. The Post Office, CVS, a delicatessen, a diner for coffee to go (to take home), the variety store where I play Lotto.

If I drive, forget it. First of all, some of the places I could not go to. At the morning coffee spot there is no parking available at all. The Post Office in Elmsford is very convenient to dash across to from my bus stop. As is the variety store. To drive to them...first, there's usually no parking. Except for the tiny Post Office lot which is usually blocked by cars waiting at the light.

These errands consume extra time when you're driving, when you have to say make a left into a parking lot on a street with heavy opposing rush hour traffic. When you maybe have to go around the block a couple times before you can find a parking space.

Realistically I would have to find new places, car-friendly places. Those places are usually not as nice to use. Bus riders usually chat a moment with the person behind the counter in the stores they regularly stop at. The storekeepers get to know you and you get to know them.

Private car drivers don't usually chat. They're always in a hurry to pay and get back in their car.

I don't have to fight traffic. In the evening when I'm on the bus I have the time to relax and read the rest of the newspaper I didn't have time for at lunch. Read a magazine article. Plug in my Walkman and unwind.

By the time I get off the bus I'm relaxed. I wouldn't trade that time for anything.

But the bottom line is, I'm going to sacrifice a lot of serenity in exchange for what would probably be ten minutes in the morning and five minutes at night.

Once I leave work I don't have to be back for fifteen hours. An extra fifteen minutes is not a big deal. It's not.

Plus I save mucho $$$, support mass transit and help the planet.

I don't see the problem! smile

Donít worry. The last thing I want is for another driver to get on the road and pollute the air we all breathe.

And I know firsthand of the savings that can be had by using mass transit. I receive a free Student MetroCard, so I try to run errands on my way home from school. This past year, I would estimate weíve saved around $200 on gas by using public transportation.

Since Iím 15, I wouldnít know about the stress of driving, but I do find it nice that, once Iím on the bus, I could sit back and relax for 10 minutes (even on the S46/S96, which can be crowded as anything, at least I donít have to focus on the road). When I grow older, Iíll probably move to a more transit-friendly place and not own a car at all.

Depending on where the trip is, transit may or may not be faster than driving. Here on Staten Island, a cross-island trip can take twice as long (or more) on mass transit as by car, so even if it is more relaxing to take transit, it will still take longer (and you have to go through the trouble of timing yourself for a specific bus, whereas in a car, the worst that can happen is that you miss a traffic light). I remember, a while back, I had to make a trip like that, and it took over 45 minutes, whereas my family has made that trip by car in 15-20 minutes.

#500080 - 04/28/11 08:09 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Last evening I got out of work a couple minutes too late to catch the Limited Stops 27 on Rt. 9A. The 27 passes by the stop closest to my job (Warehouse Lane), so if I want the 27 I have to walk up a block (the stop by Sam's Club) to get it. I didn't think I had time so I went directly to the Warehouse Lane stop. Less walking and there's a 1C right behind the 27. Just as I got there two guys dressed in work clothes (like me), in their thirties I guess (not like me frown ) were about to cross 9A to the stop. One waited for the light to change, the other ran across despite fairly heavy traffic. Not too good an idea but he made it.

He turned to be something of a character. He high-jumped the last couple of feet from the street to the curb and grinned at me. He was out of breathe but he managed to gasp out, "Yeah, made it!" He laughed and shook his head. "Man I need to get home! Get some dinner and relax!" I laughed."Hard day" I asked? He nodded. "Oh yeah, hell yeah!"

By now the light on 9A had turned red, his buddy had walked across and the light was turning green again. The high-energy guy told his companion, "The bus is coming man, we made it!" I could see, however, it was the 27 that was approaching. I said to him, "That's a limited stops bus," but he didn't hear me.

As the 27 approached, and it became apparent it wasn't slowing, the high-energy guy tried to flag it down. The operator kind of spread his hands apart as he went by, as if to say, What can I do? Mr. Energy was furious. "Hey, hey!" he yelled, frantically motioning to the driver. Then to my surprise, he began to run right along with the bus! The bus was picking up speed in the traffic and this guy picked up speed too. The 27's next stop south is two blocks away at Payne Street -- a l-o-n-g two blocks -- and this guy took off after it. Last I saw of him he was hotfooting it south.

The next light cycle brought the 1C, which I boarded, realizing as I did, the 27 had been a little late, probably another reason the operator decided not to stop where he wasn't supposed to. (Regular 27 riders definitely don't like it when the operators stop at local stops. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a limited stops bus.)

The high-energy guy was about thirty-five, maybe even older, but wiry and apparently in excellent physical shape. Nonetheless, once on board the 1C I fully expected to see him standing at the Payne Street stop, I couldn't believe anyone could successfully race the 27 there. But apparently he had done it since he was not at the stop.

Or maybe he was still chasing the 27, maybe he chased it all the way to White Plains. smile

#500081 - 04/28/11 11:41 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

That sounds like something I would do.

I remember once, all I had on my Student MetroCard was a transfer, so I had to take a bus that would give me a one-seat ride to my neighborhood. I ran up from to Broadway/Cary Avenue and saw an S94 pulling into the bus stop. I ran across the street, but after everybody else got off, the bus driver just closed the door, even though I ran up to the bus and hit the door as he was pulling out. I was seriously comtemplating running 0.4 miles to the next limited stop (Clove Road), but figured I wouldn't make it.

So I decided to use my backup plan: The S96, but I ran up to Castleton Avenue and saw that pulling out as well.

#500083 - 04/29/11 10:13 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
Q89LCL Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY
That sounds like something I would do.

I remember once, all I had on my Student MetroCard was a transfer, so I had to take a bus that would give me a one-seat ride to my neighborhood. I ran up from to Broadway/Cary Avenue and saw an S94 pulling into the bus stop. I ran across the street, but after everybody else got off, the bus driver just closed the door, even though I ran up to the bus and hit the door as he was pulling out. I was seriously comtemplating running 0.4 miles to the next limited stop (Clove Road), but figured I wouldn't make it.

So I decided to use my backup plan: The S96, but I ran up to Castleton Avenue and saw that pulling out as well.
so what did you take the S74 or s76?

#500089 - 04/30/11 02:15 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Q89LCL]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

I can't take any local bus, since I live further out, so I had to wait for the S94 (the S44 terminates at Jewett Avenue and the S46 terminates at Forest Avenue/Grandview Avenue when the limiteds are running)

I saw an S98 at Forest Avenue/Broadway (as I was walking north to get to the S94), so I should've just taken that to Forest Avenue/South Avenue or Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue and walked. It would've been faster than waiting 20 minutes for another S94.

#500090 - 05/01/11 11:58 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
RokuSix Offline

Loc: The Bronx!
Hey guys,

Though stories from all transit companies are welcome, please try to focus on Bee-Line buses in this thread. One anecdote to show a comparison is fine, but please leave it at that.

Thanks!

Questions? Comments? Interested in free tacos?
Just PM me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

#500093 - 05/04/11 02:28 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Q89LCL Offline

OK to the o.p what is the main point of this story?

#500096 - 05/09/11 12:28 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: Q89LCL]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Originally Posted By: Q89LCL
OK to the o.p what is the main point of this story?

If you're talking to me -- tommy meehan the person who started the Bee-Line thread -- I explained in the first message what my point was:

Thought I would make some posts about what it's like to commute on the Bee-Line system which I have done since 1991. Be twenty years this April 15th!

I think most of the members here -- or a lot anyway -- are city residents as I once was too. Maybe I can answer some questions you have about your northern cousin or at least give you a word picture on what riding Bee-Line everyday has been like. Hope so anyway.

#500097 - 05/09/11 12:34 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

Does anybody know when the bus lanes and POP will be implemented? I know they already implemented traffic signal priority on the corridor.

Also, will the buses be artics or 40-foot buses?

I just read this report and it says that the BL-20 would make only 26 stops rather than 67 stops (and I'm assuming that the BL-21 would be eliminated), but wouldn't that mean that local riders would have to walk a longer distance to a bus stop?

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/BRT_FinalReport.pdf

By the way, would you benefit from the BRT if it were implemented, tommy?

#500098 - 05/09/11 11:03 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: checkmatechamp13]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

By the way, would you benefit from the BRT if it were implemented, tommy?

I guess it depends but in the meantime do you think you could stop highjacking this thread?

If you want to discuss bus lanes and POP start another thread. Or put it in the The Bee Line Bus Route Thread.

#500110 - 05/12/11 09:59 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
FamousNYLover Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: 14 min by Q72 Bus Stop at 37th...
I think Bee-Line #21 will be called as Queens Bee Rapid (as NYCT calls it Select Bus Service).

Edited by FamousNYLover (05/12/11 10:00 PM)

#500112 - 05/13/11 08:21 AM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
Q89LCL Offline

interesting as i never heard of this proposal of the bee line BRT.

#500113 - 05/13/11 12:30 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
FamousNYLover Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: 14 min by Q72 Bus Stop at 37th...
I post that article about Central Park Av BRT long time ago here and NYCTF.

#500114 - 05/13/11 06:09 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: FamousNYLover]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Why are you guys highjacking this thread and turning it into a discussion about Bee-Line BRT? Don't you think that's kind of a crappy thing to do? Especially when I asked "the OP" please either start a thread about it or post it in the thread about Bee-Line bus routes?

You want me to stop posting, is that? It bother you? This is basically two guys and it's reaching the harassment stage.

#500115 - 05/13/11 06:20 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: tommy meehan]
RokuSix Offline

Loc: The Bronx!
Hey guys,
According to the OP, this thread is about nostalgic Bee-Line. Please feel free to make a new thread if you guys want to talk about Bus Rapid Transit.
Thanks

Questions? Comments? Interested in free tacos?
Just PM me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

#500116 - 05/13/11 10:48 PM Re: Tales of a 20-Year Bee-Line Commuter [Re: RokuSix]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

It's not about nostalgia. It's about commuting on Bee-Line right now today. It's also not about running across the street to catch a bus in Staten Island. Or the plan from several years ago to implement BRT on Central Park Avenue.

Roku I appreciate you backing me up, I really do. But I think some of these messages should be deleted. They're a form of graffiti, and when it's erased it stops.

Like "the OP" who responds to all the messages in the thread. With the exception of mine.

When people do stuff like that if you have common sense you know they're not trying to discuss they're trying to bust chops.

Hello?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MoOnMaN319, RokuSix 
Newest Members
perrierberet, Meagan, zakir, Plowbeast, ChrisRider
4365 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4365 Members
20 Forums
26629 Topics
499308 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM