Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#499938 - 03/08/11 07:18 PM Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Westchester, New York
OK, so we all (hopefully) know of the big Ridge Hill Shopping Center project going on in Westchester County, right? If Ridge HIll Shopping Center is being looked forward to going to by many Westchester residents, obviously as a soon-to-be area of importance in Westchester once in opens, Bee-Line Bus service should run through that area to accommodate those who were waiting a long time to finally go there. Here's the question:

Which Bee-Line Bus route should be chosen (opinion-wise) to operate via the new Ridge Hill Shopping Center.

Now, I'm just throwing some guesses out there that would make sense:

8- some trips would be rerouted via RHSC, or a new "alternate route" system for the 8 would be implemented for this designation.

20- just guessing, since this route is big and all, though it would have to use an Orion, or NABI if it were to do this.

78- most, or all trips would be extended to RHSC, and operate via RHSC before it reaches Stew Leonard's Drive, since there is a south entrance at Tuckahoe Road (the 78 can now assist the 8 on Tuckahoe Road a bit more as a result), and a north entrance/exit near Stew Leonard's Drive (the 78 could use this to get between RHSC & Stew Leonard's Drive).

Or, an entirely new route- I don't see how this could be possible AT ALL, seeing that Westchester County is currently on a budget deficit as it is. However, a new bus route wouldn't hurt anyone, right?

#499939 - 03/08/11 10:03 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: Jan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Planet Earth
The 20 and 21 already travel down Central Park Avenue, but I don't know if it is a big enough mall to justify it stopping right in the plaza (as opposed to on the street).

The question I have about the 78 is this: Does it used the NYS Thruway to reach Stew Leonard Drive, or does it go down a residential street (so anybody there would have a really long walk to an alternate route)

Conductor on a Brooklyn-bound B train. 2004

#499940 - 03/08/11 10:10 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: checkmatechamp13]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

The 78 uses the Thruway to get between Tuckahoe Road/Mile Square Road and Stew Leonard's Drive. Porting the the 78 around the Thruway in order to access the Shopping Center is actually what might be most likely to happen when the time comes, so it wouldn't be a bother to existing 78 riders, if any.

#499941 - 03/09/11 09:03 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: Jan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

Does the 78 get high ridership in the area? If it doesn't, it makes sense to reroute the bus to serve additional customers.

If it does get high ridership, it might be better to just leave the 78 on its current route, so that you aren't inconveniencing a bus full of people to serve a shopping center that only gets a few riders.

#499944 - 03/10/11 06:12 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: checkmatechamp13]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

The ridership on the 78 is pretty low, though it can occasionally get unusually filled. I even saw a 78 go towards Getty Square one time, with more than half the seats filled (Orion 05.505). Rerouting it wouldn't really bother existing riders, and would actually be better. Though, another thing they should do is permanently reroute the 78 to Saw Mill River Road, where there actually IS places worth stopping at, rather than operating via Nepperhan Avenue, which is almost nothing other than '80's & '90s styled car shops, car scrap areas, and a storage area. At least that way, when the 8 and 30 are nonexistent on Sundays, and the 5 is once every two hours, the 78 can become more useful than 8 & 30 riders realize. Sometimes, I even ride the 78, instead of the 8, if I ever decide to swing by at Shop Rite after a school day, since the 78 isn't as crowded, and is faster, compared to the 8.

#499960 - 03/21/11 11:49 AM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: Jan]
POS2NYC Offline
Tourist

Where is this center going to be located? At first I thought you were talking about the shopping mall on the Bronx/Westchester border off Boston Road, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

#499965 - 03/21/11 11:58 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: POS2NYC]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

According to Google Maps, the Ridgefield Shopping Center is around Central Park Avenue/Tuckahoe Road, right along the #20/21 route on Central Park Avenue, and near the #8 route on Tuckahoe Road.

#499969 - 03/23/11 11:05 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: checkmatechamp13]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

Incorrect, that's High Ridge Plaza. Ridge Hill shopping Center is on the other side of Sprain Brook, NOT over there.

#499970 - 03/24/11 02:03 AM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: Jan]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

Damn. So this whole time, I've been talking about a different shopping plaza.

So what is the intersection where this plaza is located?

#499988 - 03/25/11 09:47 AM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: Jan]
POS2NYC Offline
Tourist

Originally Posted By: Jan
Incorrect, that's High Ridge Plaza. Ridge Hill shopping Center is on the other side of Sprain Brook, NOT over there.

So, it's on the west side of the Sprain Brook parkway? Near where the golf course is?

#499990 - 03/27/11 01:00 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: POS2NYC]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Westchester County
Originally Posted By: POS2NYC

So, it's on the west side of the Sprain Brook parkway? Near where the golf course is?

North of Tuckahoe Rd., west of the Sprain Brook Pkwy., east of the NYS Thruway, a couple of miles south of Jackson Ave.

Edited by dadbo46 (03/27/11 01:00 PM)

#499991 - 03/27/11 01:29 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: dadbo46]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

That is correct (I'm surprised you're still even active on here, since I've been trying to send you a message, since you're a big time expert with the Bee-Line Bus System).

#499992 - 03/27/11 01:30 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: checkmatechamp13]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

It's not an intersection. It's more of a hill.

#500011 - 04/02/11 05:35 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Yonkers NY
Ridge Hill is located along the service road of the northbound NYS Thruway. Between the exit ramp for Stew Leonard's and the intersection where you turn left to go to Stew Leonard's (or the Home Depot store). So far as I can tell you can only get to it off the Thruway service road or if you take Grassy Sprain Road. And you can only see it from those two roads too.

If you're going north on the Thruway Ridge Hill is on the right just before the tolls.

Whenever I pass it (still a construction site) I always think of poor Sandy Annabi. She was the Yonkers City Council member who sold the deciding vote to give the builders a permit, got caught and will almost certainly be going to a Federal prison as a result. frown

I agree it's a natural for the 78 (which is all 30-footers).

#500160 - 05/23/11 12:11 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

This past weekend I noticed the traffic light at the entrance to Ridge Hill along the Thruway service road (Grassy Sprain Rd) has been turned on. And for the first time I saw cars coming in and out of the complex. I believe the cinema located there has opened, don't know what else.

I think for the time being it will be served by the 78 making stops at the entrance. I don't see a lot of ridership developing, some but not enough to require any special service. At the nearby Home Depot and Stew Leonard's I think most of the ridership on the 78 is people who work there.

I'm sure Bee-Line will be watching ridership. Maybe at rush hours they might need to assign some 40-footers? The trouble with that is, the 78 enters Home Depot's parking area and stops right at the front door. I don't think you can get a 40-footer in there.

Possibly the 78 might loop into the Ridge Hill complex like it does at Home Depot. It's a pretty steep roadway from the main road into the Ridge Hill complex. That's not going to encourage bus ridership.

Sadly, despite rising fuel costs and the emphasis on 'green technology' they build complexes like Ridge Hill for private auto users not bus riders. Despite all the word service about making these places transit-friendly, that still hasn't changed. mad

#500165 - 05/25/11 07:24 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Quote:
Despite all the word service about making these places transit-friendly, that still hasn't changed.

Wrong! There is a new road into Ridge Hill, Ridge Hill Blvd. The south end is off Tuckahoe Rd between the Thruway and the Sprain Brook Pky, about opposite McDonalds. It runs the length of the development and exits the complex onto the service road (Sprain Road) south of Home Depot.

Not only that, starting May 31st, northbound 78 buses will operate via Ridge Hill Blvd, then back to Sprain Rd and the regular route. (Only northbound, though. Southbound after leaving Stew Leonard's the 78 will still hop on the NYS Thruway and run express to Rt. 9A and Tuckahoe Rd, which they traverse in a speedy 6 minutes. From there to Getty Square is scheduled at 15 minutes and that's darn near driving time in a car.)

The new schedule is already posted on the Bee-Line timetables page.

Very nice! smile

#500166 - 05/25/11 09:39 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: Jan]
FamousNYLover Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: 14 min by Q72 Bus Stop at 37th...

#500168 - 05/26/11 05:23 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: tommy meehan]
Jan Offline
Straphanger

In all honesty, it most like IS possible to get a 40-footer into the 78, since if you remember clearly, the 78 was created about several months before the Orion 05.505's entered service for the first time, so that means, the 78 must've HAD to use something, and since it was ALWAYS wheelchair accessible, it had to be able to use Orion 05.501's back then, so it should be possible to assign them onto the 78 now, if needed of course. I cannot believe Ridge Hill's finally open. Looks like I'm going to check it all out firsthand on the 31st.

#500180 - 05/30/11 11:47 AM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

The problem with the 40-footers on the 78 route would be getting through the Home Depot parking lot. Even the shorties have trouble making the swing by the front door.

When did Home Depot open? Maybe they didn't go through the lot until they got the 100 series Orions? I don't remember, I didn't relocate to Yonkers until 2009. Maybe they used the Navistars? But maybe it is possible, I guess I shouldn't say it isn't possible to get a 40-footer into Home Depot since I don't really know.

Btw my better half and I went to the movies at Ridge Hill Saturday night. Looks like the cinema is open but not much else. We enjoyed it, the cinema is on Level 5 of the....13 South Otis Drive? There's an open-air mezzanine on Level 5 and looking off it you can see for miles.

Nothing else in the complex appears to be open. Just the cinema, many of the buildings aren't finished yet. Not even close. Most of the roads are still blocked off too.

The complex is much much bigger than either of us realized. The complex takes up most of the land area between the Thruway and the Sprain Brook Parkway north of the Tuckahoe Road exits but at a much higher elevation. Because of the landscaping I don't think you can really see it from the Sprain. You can see part of the complex from Sprain Road along the Thruway but it's only a small part that's visible.

#500197 - 06/06/11 10:00 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: Jan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

...if you remember clearly, the 78 was created about several months before the Orion 05.505's entered service for the first time...

Actually I think the Orion V 30-footers might've come first, not the 78 route. According to the roster linked below (which seems pretty accurate to me) the 100 series Orions arrived in 2002. Route maps from 2005 (still displayed on some bus shelters) don't list the 78 or show service to Stew Leonard's or Home Depot on South Sprain Road.

http://www.ttmg.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Liberty_Lines_Transit_(Westchester_County's_Bee_Line_System)

Edited by tommy meehan (06/06/11 10:01 PM)

#500213 - 06/12/11 12:25 AM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: tommy meehan]
LivM Offline
Tourist

Loc: NY
I have not seen any buses pass through the area yet. I ride the 8 bus and see they are supposed to change the routes on 6-20 despite the notices on the 78 schedule saying changes effective 5-31.
The only other store open is an REI (it's like a west coast EMS). It's two levels down from the cinema and reimburse your first hour of parking fees! smile

#500272 - 07/10/11 04:49 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Originally Posted By: tommy meehan
Actually I think the Orion V 30-footers might've come first, not the 78 route. According to [a] roster the 100 series Orions arrived in 2002. Route maps from 2005 (still displayed on some bus shelters) don't list the 78 or show service to Stew Leonard's or Home Depot on South Sprain Road.

I'm going to have to retract the above part about the 78 not appearing on 2005 route maps. I looked at another 2005 route map on another bus shelter and the 78 is shown. It was in faded yellow and hard to see but it's there.

#500540 - 10/23/11 07:37 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: tommy meehan]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

I'm also going to have to retract the part about Orion Vs not being able to maneuver through the Home Depot parking lot hence the decision to assign 30-footers to the 78.

Tonight on Nepperhan Avenue I saw Orion V 696 on a 78. It is the first time I ever saw a 40-footer on the route.

Ridge Hill just had it's official opening so maybe ridership is up on the 78?

#500544 - 10/25/11 10:08 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: tommy meehan]
dadbo46 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Westchester County
A curb on a traffic island at Stew Leonard's was realigned to allow a forty-footer to make the turn. The bus was also removed from the Home Depot parking structure. Finally, unannounced service on the #78 was added.

#500545 - 10/25/11 11:41 PM Re: Future Bee-Line Extensions: Ridge Hill Center [Re: dadbo46]
tommy meehan Offline
Bus Driver

Very very interesting, thanks. I go to Home Depot a lot but have yet to set foot in Stew Leonards.

There should be a lot of people from neighborhoods near Getty Square looking for jobs at Ridge Hill now that it is finally going full blast. The 78 could be a real convenient way to get there.

The down side to the 78 is that if you board at any of the Ridge Hill stops you have to go via Stew Leonards. Service through Ridge Hill is one-way. The up side is when they get out of Stew Leonards they jump on 87 to Tuckahoe Road. They get downtown in 15 minutes. Almost as fast as you can drive it in a car.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MoOnMaN319, RokuSix 
Newest Members
Nitania13, Quinnz, Natethekid39, perrierberet, Meagan
4369 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4369 Members
20 Forums
26643 Topics
499360 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM