Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#498826 - 06/29/10 03:42 PM the W train
mfeijo Offline
Tourist

Loc: NYC
Am I the only one missing the W train? I simply loved that line. I always walked more and waited more just to get in the W. Anyone else out there that love the W and want it back?

#498827 - 06/29/10 05:04 PM Re: the W train [Re: mfeijo]
checkmatechamp13 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Planet Earth

Conductor on a Brooklyn-bound B train. 2004

#498930 - 07/06/10 09:16 AM Re: the W train [Re: checkmatechamp13]
WWarrior Offline
Tourist

Loc: NY NY
Definitely missing the W. As an Astoria resident working in lower mnahattan it adds 10 minutes and lots of aggravation on to my commute due to switching trains. To start with, the R train seems to have been experiencing alot of delays both coming and going. If I catch an N train coming from Astoria and wait to switch at Prince Street to the R, I have to stand and look at the N sit at Prince for 5 minutes while a Q passes for Canal Street. I wish the N just ran the extra three stops through the Financial District.

In all, a major disruption to my travel. The changes just serve to isolate lower manhattan even more at a time when this area of the city is already hurting.

#498931 - 07/06/10 10:15 AM Re: the W train [Re: WWarrior]
FamousNYLover Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: 14 min by Q72 Bus Stop at 37th...
I also agree.

I have seen people sitting illegal on subway steps while waiting for (R) in 4th Av and Lower Manhattan portion.

Not only subway station, I also seen (NJT) Riders sitting illegal on stairs at NY Penn Station, even thought sign clearly state DO NOT SIT ON STAIRS.

Even (M) experience delays, too.
Some (M) T/O is like (G), sometimes open their door for people who are running.

#498932 - 07/06/10 12:10 PM Re: the W train [Re: FamousNYLover]
Brighton Line Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY, US
For me it is a guessing game AM rush if the Q will terminate at 57th St or go to Astoria. The signs all say Astoria but when we get to 14th Street they start saying we are terminating at 57th and do not switch to the local track after 34th St.

#498933 - 07/06/10 12:11 PM Re: the W train [Re: FamousNYLover]
TwoTimer Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Bronx!
I always felt the N should just exp all the way down and over the bridge or go thru lower Manhattan the way it used to when the bridge was closed, not the hybrid thing its doing now.

#498996 - 07/14/10 07:34 PM Re: the W train [Re: TwoTimer]
A-train Offline
"The Mole" Boring Machine Operator

Loc: Queens
I don't like the new set up, like how the (N) is loc. When it was exp I used to take either (N) or (Q) to Atlantic-Pacific. Now its like a guessing game, (N) on loc & (Q) on exp, which will get to the bridge first. Even some (Q) let (N) go first, or vice-versa.

#499038 - 07/20/10 01:31 PM Re: the W train [Re: A-train]
R160Etrain Offline
Transportation Alternatives Organizer

So is the R more crowded in Lower Manhattan/Brooklyn since the change?

Also i personally think the N/Q should both run exp and everything else left to the R.

#499039 - 07/20/10 04:29 PM Re: the W train [Re: R160Etrain]
Grand Concourse Offline
Lord of the Post

Loc: Manhattan
If the R is more crowded, why would you make it take on more burden just to keep 2 express trains running? That makes no sense. There should always be at least 2 locals on Broadway during the day.

Edited by Grand Concourse (07/20/10 04:30 PM)

#499056 - 07/22/10 11:00 AM Re: the W train [Re: WWarrior]
NX Sea Beach Express Offline
Transport Workers Union Steward

Loc: Brooklyn
Originally Posted By: WWarrior
Definitely missing the W. As an Astoria resident working in lower mnahattan it adds 10 minutes and lots of aggravation on to my commute due to switching trains. To start with, the R train seems to have been experiencing alot of delays both coming and going. If I catch an N train coming from Astoria and wait to switch at Prince Street to the R, I have to stand and look at the N sit at Prince for 5 minutes while a Q passes for Canal Street. I wish the N just ran the extra three stops through the Financial District.

In all, a major disruption to my travel. The changes just serve to isolate lower manhattan even more at a time when this area of the city is already hurting.

Whilst I'm sure that the W was a very convenient and easy ride for you, and likely you got a seat all or part of the way, you now have multiple transfer options. You can change for the ridiculously overcrowded 4 & 5 at 59 St for a quick trip downtown, faster than the W I would suspect, or again at Union Sq, and lastly, you can switch at Canal for the J Z. Yes, the 1 2 3 at Times Sq are options, but I think that's not really a good option (unless any of these lines takes you right to your building).

Moderator:  Brighton Line, MoOnMaN319 
Newest Members
patrickoster, Nathan, cparke, Haresh, MadStrapper
4354 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 75 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4354 Members
20 Forums
26623 Topics
499265 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM