Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#493782 - 11/09/09 09:26 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: RokuSix]
R32_3352 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Bklyn
It Could Increase Transfers Between The West End And Culver Lines The b35 is unreliable

#493783 - 11/09/09 10:13 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: R32_3352]
EE Broadway Local Offline

Loc: Arizona, U.S.A.
I tend to agree. The old Culver Shuttle (SS) began at the lower level of Ninth Avenue (then the (B) today the (D)(M)) and made stops at Fort Hamiliton Parkway and Thirteenth Avenue before terminating at Ditmas Avenue (then and now the (F).

If they had maintained the structure and kept the service, I think it could've been a good connector between the (D)(M) and the (F) like the Franklin Avenue Shuttle (S) is between the (A)(C) and (B)(Q) plus a transfer to the (2)(3).

If anyone is curious what the Culver Shuttle looked like: http://www.culvershuttle.com is a nice site.

Edited by EE Broadway Local (11/09/09 10:14 PM)

Elizabeth is cute!

#493811 - 11/10/09 01:07 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: EE Broadway Local]
Q89LCL Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY
I think there should be a shuttle between the A@lefferts and jamaica center with the E,J/Z. Via liberty and 150th st.

#493838 - 11/10/09 06:09 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: R32_3352]
RokuSix Offline

Loc: The Bronx!
Originally Posted By: R32_3352
It Could Increase Transfers Between The West End And Culver Lines The b35 is unreliable

Oh! Thanks for the information. I don't go to Brooklyn often, so that's an interesting point to bear in mind.

Questions? Comments? Interested in free tacos?
Just PM me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

#493887 - 11/12/09 02:15 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: Q89LCL]
CenSin Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: Q89LCL
I think there should be a shuttle between the A@lefferts and jamaica center with the E,J/Z. Via liberty and 150th st.

If they're going to build there, they might as well as extend the Liberty Avenue line. There's no point in building it in such a way that a transfer is necessary.

#493927 - 11/13/09 07:45 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: CenSin]
R32_3348 Offline
MTA Executive

Loc: Jackson Heights
IAWTP

#493966 - 11/15/09 02:20 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: R32_3348]
R160Etrain Offline
Transportation Alternatives Organizer

the SAS running across 125 st then going further up manhattan and possibly the bronx would have been nice.

#494382 - 11/27/09 09:50 AM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: R160Etrain]
R32_3352 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Bklyn
Also I Think A Cool Project Would Be Making A Shuttle Train From Brooklyn To A SIR Stop

#494415 - 11/28/09 02:45 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: R32_3352]
R160Etrain Offline

they can extend SIRR to 4 Avenue/Bay Ridge Av

#494502 - 12/01/09 01:23 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: R160Etrain]
Brighton Line Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY, US
How would that be a SHUTTLE?

#494545 - 12/03/09 09:41 AM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: Brighton Line]
NX Sea Beach Express Offline
Transport Workers Union Steward

Loc: Brooklyn
If they kept the Culver Shuttle intact, they could have sent the V via 4 Ave via West End via Culver to Kings Hwy, and the G stays at Church Ave.

#494566 - 12/03/09 10:24 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: NX Sea Beach Express]
Grand Concourse Offline
Lord of the Post

Loc: Manhattan
The V would have to cross over the tracks on the F the same way the M does when it joins the J/Z lines at Myrtle. It is not practical. Also you would have the V delay the B/D lines to run over the bridge and also add an extra line on 4th Av.

Now if you have the M terminate at Ditmas on the CI side of the F station the way the former S did, then it might be possible.

#494643 - 12/07/09 12:14 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: R160Etrain]
TwoTimer Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Bronx!
Originally Posted By: R160Etrain
the SAS running across 125 st then going further up manhattan and possibly the bronx would have been nice.

Can it get to 125th first before deciding where to go with it from there?

#494654 - 12/07/09 06:12 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: TwoTimer]
R160Etrain Offline

Originally Posted By: TwoTimer

Can it get to 125th first before deciding where to go with it from there?

True but why dont they have it stop at 3 Av-125 st(transfer available to the 4/5/6) then just continue going up 3 Av in the bronx instead of that stupid tea cup route?

#494671 - 12/08/09 06:01 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: R160Etrain]
Grand Concourse Offline
Lord of the Post

Loc: Manhattan
Huh? You first posted you wanted the SAS to go across 125th and then run, I would guess, via the D into the Bronx. So you are basically slamming your own idea then?

#494690 - 12/09/09 08:57 AM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: Grand Concourse]
mta36 Offline

Loc: Bronx, New York
A good shuttle would have been to keep the old westchester boston RR El From East 180th street to Whitlock where the tracks and the 6 train meet

#494701 - 12/09/09 07:23 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: mta36]
RokuSix Offline

Loc: The Bronx!
That is an interesting idea, MTA. It would finally give 6 riders West Side access before 59th Street.

Questions? Comments? Interested in free tacos?
Just PM me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

#494726 - 12/10/09 04:23 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: RokuSix]
TwoTimer Offline
Bus Driver

Since two services were planned for the SAS, then one could go across 125th to Manhattanville and the other to the Bronx. Keep in mind if the local businesses would want this, and how expensive this would be, as there is already a multitude of buses that go crosstown and many other subway lines serve the strip (this is not an area that doesn't have service, like 2nd Av).

Also, such an extension would be expensive, with stations deep in the ground because of existing subways getting in the way (three levels down the IRT Lex, one level down for the IRT 7Av, two levels down for the IND, and of course the viaduct way in the sky for the 1 line).

#494731 - 12/10/09 09:42 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: TwoTimer]
R160Etrain Offline

Since two services were planned for the SAS, then one could go across 125th to Manhattanville and the other to the Bronx. Keep in mind if the local businesses would want this, and how expensive this would be, as there is already a multitude of buses that go crosstown and many other subway lines serve the strip (this is not an area that doesn't have service, like 2nd Av).

Also, such an extension would be expensive, with stations deep in the ground because of existing subways getting in the way (three levels down the IRT Lex, one level down for the IRT 7Av, two levels down for the IND, and of course the viaduct way in the sky for the 1 line).

I dont think the SAS has to go all the to Broadway, the 125 st(1 line) trains station is only three blocks away from the 125 st(A/CB/D) station. The Q can go to 125 st/St. Nicholas Av, while the T continues in the Bronx. A 3 Av line wouldnt be bad, although I wish the GC line was four tracks, the T could have easily ran up Grand Concourse along with the B/D.

#494774 - 12/11/09 11:54 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: RokuSix]
CenSin Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: RokuSix
That is an interesting idea, MTA. It would finally give 6 riders West Side access before 59th Street.
FYI: The Triboro RX would accomplish the same thing. It wouldóin factóconnect every single line in existence if it were completed (excluding the shuttles).

#494810 - 12/14/09 02:26 AM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: R160Etrain]
TwoTimer Offline
Bus Driver

I dont think the SAS has to go all the to Broadway, the 125 st(1 line) trains station is only three blocks away from the 125 st(A/CB/D) station. The Q can go to 125 st/St. Nicholas Av, while the T continues in the Bronx. A 3 Av line wouldnt be bad, although I wish the GC line was four tracks, the T could have easily ran up Grand Concourse along with the B/D.

Enough service for the West Bronx with the 4, B and D. Its Third Av (where there used to be an el) and that central part of the Bronx that needs the service, going up to Fordham. Those crosstown buses that ferry people from either the 6/2/5 or the B/D/4 to this area are all packed (and I mean PACKED), especially the one that goes across 167th st (Bx35, there was an increase in service few years back and now the line is prone to bunching and the buses are still packed).

#494827 - 12/14/09 05:35 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: TwoTimer]
R160Etrain Offline

Enough service for the West Bronx with the 4, B and D. Its Third Av (where there used to be an el) and that central part of the Bronx that needs the service, going up to Fordham. Those crosstown buses that ferry people from either the 6/2/5 or the B/D/4 to this area are all packed (and I mean PACKED), especially the one that goes across 167th st (Bx35, there was an increase in service few years back and now the line is prone to bunching and the buses are still packed).

White Plains line was always a bit too close to the pelham line, you got the B/D/4 trains serving western bronx while the 2/5/6 are close together serving easterner bronx but nobody is serving central bronx. why did they demolish the 3 Av el anyway? considering there were continuous plans on building the SAS would kept the el.

#494914 - 12/17/09 08:49 AM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: R160Etrain]
TwoTimer Offline
Bus Driver

No idea. The White Plains line is decently far enough away from Pelham, and Dyre as well (some decent spacing there) At the Gun Hill Rd (2), its 5-10 mins by bus (Bx28/30) and a 15 min walk to Bainbridge Av near Woodlawn. Remember, the structure was built long before there were communities under it.

The thing is too there are places between 2 Av north of 125 and in the Bronx along 3 Av/Park Av where a portal can be placed too. Even an idea of just piggybacking the Metro North on Park Av in the Bronx up to Fordham Rd with structure seems decent. That seems like the cheapest option, and Park Av is only a couple blocks over from 3Av most of the way from 161st north. It could lead to a nice revetalization for central Bronx.

The issue with shuttles however, is ya need some sort of existing subway lines to connect it to so cars can be serviced elsewhere. Franklin (S) got connections to Brighton, 42nd shuttle has two, one to IRT East, the other to IRT West. Think about that. Where are you going to connect these shuttles to?

Edited by TwoTimer (12/17/09 08:58 AM)

#494928 - 12/17/09 05:13 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: TwoTimer]
R160Etrain Offline

No idea. The White Plains line is decently far enough away from Pelham, and Dyre as well (some decent spacing there) At the Gun Hill Rd (2), its 5-10 mins by bus (Bx28/30) and a 15 min walk to Bainbridge Av near Woodlawn. Remember, the structure was built long before there were communities under it.

The thing is too there are places between 2 Av north of 125 and in the Bronx along 3 Av/Park Av where a portal can be placed too. Even an idea of just piggybacking the Metro North on Park Av in the Bronx up to Fordham Rd with structure seems decent. That seems like the cheapest option, and Park Av is only a couple blocks over from 3Av most of the way from 161st north. It could lead to a nice revetalization for central Bronx.

The issue with shuttles however, is ya need some sort of existing subway lines to connect it to so cars can be serviced elsewhere. Franklin (S) got connections to Brighton, 42nd shuttle has two, one to IRT East, the other to IRT West. Think about that. Where are you going to connect these shuttles to?

The Simpson st and Intervale Av stations arent far from the 6 at all, if anything they are bit too close.

Now as for building a subway around park av is it possible to build an EL over it or a subway under the current metro north that goes thorough central bronx?

#494941 - 12/17/09 11:57 PM Re: Which areas/streets do you think could use a shuttle train? [Re: R160Etrain]
TwoTimer Offline
Bus Driver

The White Plains line turns away from the 6 anyway at that point, never to get close again. There is a lot of real estate after Simpson. All the lines near Mott Haven converge anyway. When I went to school at Hostos years ago I used to walk down to 3Av-138 if it wasnt too cold. Nice walk, if a bit lonely. Having Whitlock/Hunts Pt that close isn't that bad either (as long as there is a Bx4, which they are trying to do away with). When I was operating last summer, there was a major delay near Whitlock involving my train, we didnt move for an hour. I sent all my passengers down to Simpson There are no other major roads in the area to run the lines on.

The metro north in the Bronx is all open cut, about 20-30 feet below street level from 149th all the way up to Fordham, and about 5 tracks wide (4 tracks with space for side plats). It is shallower after that. It is easy and efficient to build a structure (to get over the various street overpasses) from 163rd all the way up to Fordham. At the moment, besides a group of buildings between 168th and 170th, the area on either side of Park is commercial in nature all the way up to Fordham. Green spaces can be built under the structure and above the metro north (effectively covering it up much like the Amtrak on the West Side) in a complete revetalization of the area.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Brighton Line, RokuSix 
Newest Members
Nitania13, Quinnz, Natethekid39, perrierberet, Meagan
4369 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4369 Members
20 Forums
26643 Topics
499360 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM