Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48920 - 11/08/02 12:20 AM What happens to BWay express after 2004
Chemmy Offline

Loc: New York, NY
The B&D are supposed to start going over the bridge after it's fixed ( I think that's right). The Q&W were implemented again to supplement service that was disrupted in Brooklyn. After the B&D return, what becomes of the Q&W? I really like to option of express BWay service - I hope they don't get rid of it!!!

#48921 - 11/08/02 01:02 AM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Davy1031 Offline
TWU President

Loc: UES
The Q will most likely go back to being orange (6 Ave) and running as the <Q> does now. I have no idea about the W, I'd guess it'd just disappear again. But, I have nothing to back that up with.

#48922 - 11/08/02 01:29 AM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
jjay2002 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Far, far away.
Interesting stuff....I hope they dont screw with any other lines in Brooklyn, I'll be pretty mad! eek

#48923 - 11/08/02 03:31 AM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Davy1031:
The Q will most likely go back to being orange (6 Ave) and running as the <Q> does now. I have no idea about the W, I'd guess it'd just disappear again. But, I have nothing to back that up with.

Most people including myself think that the <Q> will remain on Broadway instead of returning to 6th Avenue as the Orange (Q). This way both sides of the bridge would be utilized. The <Q> would basically turn into the yellow (Q) and continue Brighton Express service.

The W is likely to be put on the shelf until either new car shipments finally arrive or the SAS emerges from the woodwork.

#48924 - 11/08/02 05:06 AM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Urban Explorer Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Do you hate me because I live ...
YAYYYY

Another chance to play with our trains and make new routes :-) Hehe, wasn't it fun when we were kids?

Let's do it line by line...

1) Bay Ridge - R - Fourth Ave Local - Montague Tunnel - Broadway Local - 60th St Tunnel - Queens Local

2) West End - B - Fourth Ave Express - Bridge - Sixth Ave Express - CPW Local (ending at 6th/57th during off-times instead) [plus, extra service from the M, like today]

3) Sea Beach - N - Fourth Ave Express - Bridge - Broadway Express - 63rd St Tunnel - Queens Express

4) Brighton Local - D - Bridge - Sixth Ave Express - CPW Express - Concourse

5) Brighton Express - Q - Bridge - Sixth Ave Express - 6th/57th (B runs to 6th/57th when Q isn't running)

6) Astoria - W - 60th St Tunnel - Broadway Local - Whitehall

Personally, I'd love to see the Broadway express service remain, and continue to Queens Blvd. The MTA seems to want to put a QB express through 63rd, so why not make it more useful by running it down Broadway instead (more connections).

From QB, the E would remain as is, so would the R. The F would return to 53rd but run as the QB local (like the V train today).

Is there something that I may have missed that is crucial (like, track connections not existing, or a missing service)?

#48925 - 11/08/02 12:48 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Keir Offline
Transportation Alternatives Organizer

Loc: 47th Ave. G/R/V
If the W is put on the shelf - doesn't that shaft Astoria riders who take it? I know there is the N on a similr route, but we all know how well (and often) that runs.

#48926 - 11/08/02 01:02 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Brighton Line Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY, US
The TA has no plans at this point on what will happen. All of the above are guesses.

#48927 - 11/08/02 03:21 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Yellow Q Offline
Straphanger

Loc: NYC
Agree about <Q> becoming (Q) and staying on broadway (and it should, 6Ave does not need 3 express trains). I just really wish the new Q will somehow make its way into QB through 63st tunnel.

#48928 - 11/08/02 03:59 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Metro Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: Ludlow
Urban Explorer, it seems good, except you take away QB Express/6th Ave, which a lot of people would miss. I'm also convinced we will not be having a 57/6th terminal again, even though it makes sense.

#48929 - 11/08/02 09:45 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Qtraindash Offline
TWU President

Loc: Nassau county,NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Keir:
If the W is put on the shelf - doesn't that shaft Astoria riders who take it? I know there is the N on a similr route, but we all know how well (and often) that runs.

The W should be kept. The W should run to Bay Ridge and Broadway 4/th local, from Astoria. The N would be express and over the bridge.
This way, the N doesn't have to go through the slow rat infested Montague tunnel and Bay Ridge has it's choice of two trains (instead of just the Rarely).

So it would be like this
B and D would resume their regular 6th ave routes
Q (Brighton express) and N (Sea Beach/Bway express) would go over the bridge,
The R,M, and W would be via tunnel.

#48930 - 11/08/02 10:37 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Gone. Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: Fresh Meadows
I'd be a little sad if the <Q> doesn't return to the 6 Av Express as an orange (Q)...The crazy dash from 34 to W4 was a joy to watch from the R40 Slant railfan window...

Is it possible for the N to return as the B'way express?
R.I.P. UID#566. The member number may be dead but the legacy will forever be eternal...

#48931 - 11/08/02 10:42 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Dubba U Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Ditmars Blvd, Astoria
When the bridge is fixed, I just hope that there will be 2 trains going to Astoria like now. Ever since the W was sent to Astoria, there is less congestion during the AM and PM rush hours. Especially during the AM rush, where when one train is late, it'll be packed at Ditmars. And when it reaches 30th Ave, the train is packed.

Despite the argument against an Astoria express train, I think there should be a train that make occasional express runs to ease congestion in the morning.

If the W is eliminated, I would like to see the Q run to Astoria instead.
Woman: confused "I haven't taken this line for a while."

#48932 - 11/09/02 06:45 AM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well one thing we all know for sure and only because it's pure logic and that's the fact that when the bridge project is complete in 2004 we will still have a division B car shortage. So when the R-68s all return to Concourse and Coney Island yards respectively the W will have to be put on the shelf unless Q service is cut back and that's not happening.

Keeping a Q on Broadway makes sense because it's a way to utilize the other side of the bridge and keep it from rusting away. A balance act needs to be performed on the bridge anyway. All that force to one side will only cause another bridge project sooner than necessary once again.

#48933 - 11/09/02 05:14 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Grand Concourse Offline
Lord of the Post

Loc: Manhattan
Even so, the Q [r40's] would be the only line on the Bridge from Broadway while the B/D [r68/a's] would be 2 trains from the 6th Ave lines so there should at least be another train from Broadway to act as a counter balance for the B/D rite? confused

#48934 - 11/09/02 06:34 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Concourse:
Even so, the Q [r40's] would be the only line on the Bridge from Broadway while the B/D [r68/a's] would be 2 trains from the 6th Ave lines so there should at least be another train from Broadway to act as a counter balance for the B/D rite? confused

Not really. We aren't talking about being precise and measuring everything to an exact scale. The basic concept is as long as something is running on the other side of the bridge to give some sort of counterforce.

BTW, there really aren't enough cars to run another line after all is restored in 2004. The B and D will take all of it's R-68(A)s back which are currently being used by the Q and W. Unless some change goes into affect to have the N run over the bridge with a supposed Q then only one line will likely run over the bridge and like Brighton Line said there is no plan in place yet so this is basically all guessing at this point.

#48935 - 11/10/02 10:35 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
This is the train to... Offline
Lord of the Post

If the J M Z became R-143s, couldn't the Q use the R-42s to aliveiate it's car shortage?

I am hoping the MTA is timing this right and will have R-160s ready to roll by the time the bridge reopens. Wishful thinking... :rolleyes:

#48936 - 11/11/02 01:25 AM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

The R-143 contract is only large enough to replace all rollstock on the L along with increasing the current fleet and a very limited amount on the M. Every other line out of East New York will wait for the R-160 contract.

Basically division B still has a car shortage and will continue to have a car shortage until the R-160 arrives.

#48937 - 11/11/02 02:12 AM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Smooth Offline
Transportation Alternatives Organizer

Loc: Bronx NY
Quote:

If the W is eliminated, I would like to see the Q run to Astoria instead.[/QB]

I think that would be a great idea. Why not? Also we have to think that there might be a shortage of cars as well. So where are the cars from the (L) going after the R143s come in to the (N)? And if so can't the R40M from the (N) go to the (Q) so then it will have enough rolling stock so it can end in Astoria.

#48938 - 11/11/02 06:15 AM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by SmoothR62/142A:
I think that would be a great idea. Why not? Also we have to think that there might be a shortage of cars as well. So where are the cars from the (L) going after the R143s come in to the (N)? And if so can't the R40M from the (N) go to the (Q) so then it will have enough rolling stock so it can end in Astoria.

That wouldn't even be worth the effort to be perfectly honest. When you think about it all those extra cars could be used to provide extra N line service when the time comes. If you run the Q over to Astoria then you would have to cross it over at 34th Street like the current W at the same time slowing N and R service behind the crossing train.

#48939 - 11/11/02 07:00 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Urban Explorer Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Do you hate me because I live ...
The MTA should try to avoid the annoying switching problems that occur at places like Broadway/34th(42nd). I understand that because of the bridge repairs, they are forced to deal with more trains on Broadway than they think they can use.

I think the best way to deal with this is simply to have all locals from Broadway go through the 60th street tunnel (to Queens local or Astoria). Then, the Broadway express can run to 63rd street and to Queens express.

#48940 - 11/11/02 09:22 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Grand Concourse Offline
Lord of the Post

Loc: Manhattan
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Explorer:
The MTA should try to avoid the annoying switching problems that occur at places like Broadway/34th(42nd). I understand that because of the bridge repairs, they are forced to deal with more trains on Broadway than they think they can use.

I think the best way to deal with this is simply to have all locals from Broadway go through the 60th street tunnel (to Queens local or Astoria). Then, the Broadway express can run to 63rd street and to Queens express.

Too bad the Q train runs mainly r40s meaning that they can't be run on the Queens Blvd line frown
Unless it takes all the r32's off the N/C lines, but even that may not be enough frown

#48941 - 11/11/02 09:49 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Concourse:
Too bad the Q train runs mainly r40s meaning that they can't be run on the Queens Blvd line frown
Unless it takes all the r32's off the N/C lines, but even that may not be enough frown

And the problem with running R-40s out of Coney Island on Queens Blvd is?

#48942 - 11/12/02 11:03 AM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
divina Offline
Tourist

Loc: Brooklyn
Quote:
The W is likely to be put on the shelf until either new car shipments finally arrive or the SAS emerges from the woodwork]

No!!!! The W is the best thing since sliced bread! It isn't as if there isn't a comodos transfer point at 34th Street.

#48943 - 11/24/02 11:32 PM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
R express please Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Brooklyn
Has anyone ever ridden the Q during rush hours?!?!?!?!? It is jam packed with people the entire route! I got on at 34th Street/Herald Square at 5:00. AFter barely fitting on the literally full platform i was shoved by three transit workers into the train. They MUST keep the Q on Broadway in 2004 because of this heavy use.

#48944 - 11/25/02 01:04 AM Re: What happens to BWay express after 2004
Gone. Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: Fresh Meadows
Quote:
Originally posted by GreatOne:
And the problem with running R-40s out of Coney Island on Queens Blvd is?

It would be a problem if Qns Blvd was A-Division.

I've seen slants run along the Boulevard. Nothing went wrong with them from what I saw.
R.I.P. UID#566. The member number may be dead but the legacy will forever be eternal...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brighton Line, MoOnMaN319 
Newest Members
sunnyside7, lirrman23, CEB, Heico, Abrala
4344 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (WalderRules), 162 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4344 Members
20 Forums
26597 Topics
499125 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM