#478817 - 04/19/09 07:56 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Q89LCL]
Forest Glen Offline
Lord of the Post

Loc: Springfield Gardens, Queens
Very well

#478826 - 04/19/09 08:18 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Forest Glen]
RokuSix Offline

Loc: The Bronx!
Isn't the L a relatively short line? I haven't ridden it out to Rockaway, but on the maps, it seems as if it's short and quick and really wouldn't need an express.

Questions? Comments? Interested in free tacos?
Just PM me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

#478828 - 04/19/09 08:20 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: RokuSix]
Forest Glen Offline
Lord of the Post

From Rockaway Parkway to 8th Avenue is a 40 minute ride. It wouldn't hurt to shave 5-10 minutes off the ride.

#478834 - 04/19/09 08:29 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: RokuSix]
Terrapin Station Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Bronx, NY
Originally Posted By: RokuSix
Isn't the L a relatively short line? I haven't ridden it out to Rockaway, but on the maps, it seems as if it's short and quick and really wouldn't need an express.

You are correct. Ideas like Lex Express's (Mr. Wilson) are not at all well thought out in terms of the reasons behind express service in NYC. You're way ahead of the curve and would do well at SubChat.

#478838 - 04/19/09 08:39 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Forest Glen]
Terrapin Station Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Bronx, NY
Originally Posted By: Lex Express
Aberdeen is probably the least used station on the L. Why would that be an express stop?

Only on weekdays, and just barely. On Saturdays and Sundays, Atlantic Av is lower.

#478859 - 04/19/09 10:50 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Terrapin Station]
BX41LTD Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Morris Heights, The Bronx
In my opnion the (L) dosn't get crowded much compared to all the other subway lines.
LIMITED

#478882 - 04/20/09 11:23 AM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: BX41LTD]
NX Sea Beach Express Offline
Transport Workers Union Steward

Loc: Brooklyn
Originally Posted By: BX41LTD
In my opnion the (L) dosn't get crowded much compared to all the other subway lines.

You're not a regular L rider. In the morning rush it is typically crushloaded and at 3.5 minute headways, at times you have to wait for 2 or 3 trains before you can board.

As for express service, the L is a little like the F where some of the busiest stations are the 1's in Brooklyn closest to Manhattan. So, I'm not sure what the point of bypassing these stations would be.

#479020 - 04/21/09 03:05 AM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: NX Sea Beach Express]
Q89LCL Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY
In my plan it stops@ bedford ave because its the most used station in bk.on the line

#479103 - 04/21/09 11:03 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Q89LCL]
EQ_Express Offline
Straphanger

Really, don't let the L CBTC go to waste. The simple solution is just to ramp up frequency (one every 2 minutes would be a godsend), then lengthen the platforms if necessary. When that overruns, chances are there will have been another subway line built (because adding express tracks that merge in Manhattan just creates a bottleneck in Manhattan and shortchanges local riders).

#479114 - 04/22/09 10:39 AM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: EQ_Express]

Originally Posted By: EQ_Express
Really, don't let the L CBTC go to waste. The simple solution is just to ramp up frequency (one every 2 minutes would be a godsend), then lengthen the platforms if necessary. When that overruns, chances are there will have been another subway line built (because adding express tracks that merge in Manhattan just creates a bottleneck in Manhattan and shortchanges local riders).

The express track would need to go the full length of the route, or if you end local service at Myrtle, you can merge the tracks after that.

#479115 - 04/22/09 11:54 AM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: EQ_Express]
Grand Concourse Offline
Lord of the Post

Loc: Manhattan
Exactly. This was my point a while ago: they aren't likely building another tunnel[s] just for the express. If anything it would have to share the current tunnel which would just mean delays from merging back with the local and negating savings from the express service. And I really doubt they are going to build another set of tracks and station along or under the current L line. They would be better off building a new crosstown route on like 23rd Street or somewhere.

#479135 - 04/22/09 04:08 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Grand Concourse]
Forest Glen Offline
Lord of the Post

CBTC makes skip stop service possible but people are against it

#479138 - 04/22/09 04:19 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Forest Glen]
Grand Concourse Offline
Lord of the Post

But why would you need skip stop if you can run a train at every station or close to it? Skip stop means a train you are on would still have to wait for the one in front to clear the station before the train you are on can bypass that stop. It only works for the J/Z because there isn't a high demand for service as it is on the L.

Should a train get backed up, they can always have it bypass a few stops to catch up to the train in front and the following trains picking up the riders.

#479144 - 04/22/09 04:28 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Grand Concourse]
Forest Glen Offline
Lord of the Post

Bushwich-Aberdeen and Bedford Avenue don't require the same amount of trains. All skip stop does is expedite the ride for busier stations.

#479146 - 04/22/09 04:43 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Forest Glen]
Grand Concourse Offline
Lord of the Post

But are the 'busy' stops like every other stop? Because if there are stretches like 2 busy stations in a row, then skip stop pretty much is pointless.
Lesser used stations might not need the service, but I don't see it as a reason for skip stop. I mean should a stop like Bowery on the J/Z/M be a reason for skip stops there on Nassau-Centre St?

#479296 - 04/23/09 01:58 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Grand Concourse]
Q89LCL Offline

i think skipstop works great.

#479393 - 04/24/09 12:18 AM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Q89LCL]
Forest Glen Offline
Lord of the Post

If people keep an open mind then they'll realize that just because something is new doesn't mean it's bad.

#479396 - 04/24/09 12:20 AM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Q89LCL]
Grand Concourse Offline
Lord of the Post

Originally Posted By: Q89LCL
Have you rode the L? If so why do you think skip stop for the L is so great?

#479397 - 04/24/09 12:23 AM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Forest Glen]
Grand Concourse Offline
Lord of the Post

If people keep an open mind then they'll realize that just because something is new doesn't mean it's bad.
The point of CBCT is to run the trains closer together. With skip stop, you need at least a one station gap between trains for it to work. I really doubt you can make the L work like that compared to the J/Z where service for each station is about even and doesn't require frequent train service.

#479460 - 04/24/09 07:30 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Grand Concourse]
Q89LCL Offline

Originally Posted By: Grand Concourse
Originally Posted By: Q89LCL
Have you rode the L? If so why do you think skip stop for the L is so great?
yes and I think skip stop is great because it moves the trains faster that are already crouded and it Relives it.

#479515 - 04/25/09 12:46 AM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Q89LCL]
via101Av Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Morrisania, The Bronx
They should just try it out and see how Skip-Stop on the (L) works.

Euclid Avenue to Queens
via 101 Av

#479543 - 04/25/09 01:03 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Q89LCL]
Grand Concourse Offline
Lord of the Post

Well ok then, if you think it is fine. But I still say it doesn't make sense now when there is CBCT for the L.

#481586 - 05/10/09 04:22 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Forest Glen]
R32_3348 Offline
MTA Executive

Loc: Jackson Heights
Originally Posted By: Terrapin Station
You are correct. Ideas like Lex Express's (Mr. Wilson) are not at all well thought out in terms of the reasons behind express service in NYC. You're way ahead of the curve and would do well at SubChat.
If someone else had made the exact same post Lex Express did, then you wouldn't have said that. All you do here is post BS against Lex Express and you do not contribute ANYTHING to any thread. STFU and GTFO.
Bushwich-Aberdeen and Bedford Avenue don't require the same amount of trains. All skip stop does is expedite the ride for busier stations.
Skip-stop means you have to wait twice as long at each station served by only one train. This will make crowding worse than it already is, negating the point of CBTC. CBTC makes it so you have to wait less. The line is short enough as it is, and it doesn't need to be made faster.

Edited by R32_3348 (05/10/09 04:23 PM)

#481682 - 05/11/09 03:26 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: R32_3348]

Correct, but if all trains stop at Beford, and 1/2 at B-A, and there is another station with small ridership and that becomes skip-stop too, then 1 to 2 minutes is saved on a trip right there. I know it doesn't sound like much, but if you could shave 5 minutes off a rush hour trip, it's worth it IMO. Every minute counts at those times of the day. I think skip stop east of Myrtle could work, and west of Myrtle, all stops. Having said this, it seems that more and more L's are being short-turned at Myrtle in the AM which is also greatly relieving the overcrowding on the line.

#481685 - 05/11/09 04:05 PM Re: An (L) Line What If? [Re: Grand Concourse]
R160Etrain Offline
Transportation Alternatives Organizer

Originally Posted By: R32_3348
Originally Posted By: Terrapin Station
If someone else had made the exact same post Lex Express did, then you wouldn't have said that. All you do here is post BS against Lex Express and you do not contribute ANYTHING to any thread. STFU and GTFO.
Skip-stop means you have to wait twice as long at each station served by only one train. This will make crowding worse than it already is, negating the point of CBTC. CBTC makes it so you have to wait less. The line is short enough as it is, and it doesn't need to be made faster.

I think people are missing the whole point of the express, the POINT of the express on the L is to RELIEVE CROWDING not make the trip go faster.

Originally Posted By: Grand Concourse
Exactly. This was my point a while ago: they aren't likely building another tunnel[s] just for the express. If anything it would have to share the current tunnel which would just mean delays from merging back with the local and negating savings from the express service. And I really doubt they are going to build another set of tracks and station along or under the current L line. They would be better off building a new crosstown route on like 23rd Street or somewhere.

Merging trains isn't that bad, it's the same line, it's not like you're merging two different lines like E/V where 8 Avenue riders have to wait longer. on the (L) this is not the case, it wouldnt matter for riders heading into Manhattan because an L train is going to come into the station regardless if it's an (L) or a <L>.

Second even with a delay in the merging of the express and local trains you still save time on your trip when compared to waiting for 2-3 L trains pass by until you can actually fit into a train

Third, ANY relief in crowding would make L riders happy, Im sure people would rather have a chance of a delay and a less crowded train then having no delay, wait on the platform letting 2-3 L trains go by and have jam-packed trains.

Edited by R160Etrain (05/11/09 04:05 PM)

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Chemmy, Q89LCL 
Newest Members
perrierberet, Meagan, zakir, Plowbeast, ChrisRider
4365 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4365 Members
20 Forums
26629 Topics
499307 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM