Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#465800 - 01/17/09 10:54 PM Logic goes out the window at the LIRR
Qtraindash Offline
TWU President

Loc: Nassau county,NY
Case in point, the evening of Friday Jan.16 2009. There are delays on some eastbound trains. One train, due through Kings Park at 7:37pm is 20 minutes late. East of Huntington, there is only one track avail, except at a siding east of Northport and at Kings Park. The 7:29pm westbound train (from Kings Park) to Huntington, which connects up with an 8:05pm MU local to Penn, is running nearly on time.
The late eastbound train arrives in Huntington a little before 7:50pm. Logic would say to hold that train there, so it doesn't screw up the westbound train that is supposed to be arriving just a few minutes later and it's connections.
The late eastbound train would only be delayed a few extra minutes.
But this is not what the LIRR did, as apparently logic doesn't seem to exist there, or they just simply love Manhattan commuters and hate all the other trains.
Instead, we were held at the siding just east of Northport, starting at 7:45pm and until nearly 8pm, to wait for the 7:37pm which is very late. Now the connecting MU in Huntington leaves 20 minutes late and is forced to wait in Hicksville for another westbound train from Ronkonkoma. Given the deal with "slots" in Jamaica and Penn station, shouldn't our westbound train have been given priority over the 20 min late eastbound to Port Jeff?

Edited by Qtraindash (01/17/09 11:00 PM)

#465821 - 01/18/09 12:18 AM Re: Logic goes out the window at the LIRR [Re: Qtraindash]
Strong Offline
Booth Worker

Loc: Suffolk County, NY
Originally Posted By: Qtraindash
Case in point, the evening of Friday Jan.16 2009. There are delays on some eastbound trains. One train, due through Kings Park at 7:37pm is 20 minutes late. East of Huntington, there is only one track avail, except at a siding east of Northport and at Kings Park. The 7:29pm westbound train (from Kings Park) to Huntington, which connects up with an 8:05pm MU local to Penn, is running nearly on time.
The late eastbound train arrives in Huntington a little before 7:50pm. Logic would say to hold that train there, so it doesn't screw up the westbound train that is supposed to be arriving just a few minutes later and it's connections.
The late eastbound train would only be delayed a few extra minutes.
But this is not what the LIRR did, as apparently logic doesn't seem to exist there, or they just simply love Manhattan commuters and hate all the other trains.
Instead, we were held at the siding just east of Northport, starting at 7:45pm and until nearly 8pm, to wait for the 7:37pm which is very late. Now the connecting MU in Huntington leaves 20 minutes late and is forced to wait in Hicksville for another westbound train from Ronkonkoma. Given the deal with "slots" in Jamaica and Penn station, shouldn't our westbound train have been given priority over the 20 min late eastbound to Port Jeff?

if the LIRR loves Manhattan bound commuters they wouldn't have stopped your train, they would have stopped the other train. (unless u meant ppl coming from Manhattan)

logic would be to give the track to who ever had the most ppl on it. or two who ever could make up the time which would be the train to Port Jeff since your train would have to meet up with another train to take passengers to Jamaica and there for could be effected later on during the trip by some other reason. as where the Port Jeff bound train doesn't have to meet up with another train and there for prob make up some time that it had lost.

#466003 - 01/18/09 03:33 PM Re: Logic goes out the window at the LIRR [Re: Strong]
Forest Glen Offline
Lord of the Post

Loc: Springfield Gardens, Queens
What the <expletive> was in that toilet? Someone's recycled lunch?

I have to agree with the LIRR. The train you was on was empty. The more crowded train should get priority.

#466020 - 01/18/09 04:11 PM Re: Logic goes out the window at the LIRR [Re: Forest Glen]
B35 via Church Offline
Federal Transit Administration Rep.

Loc: East Flatbush
So there should be further delays an already delayed train?
Ah, what the hell, it's already delayed, right....
Good logic there....

*smh*

and this preconceived notion that LIRR favors manhattan bound riders over intra-long island riders, needs to stop... that excuse has long gotten annoying....

Furthermore, there's a (big) difference b/w making a point, and complaining...
Sometimes I think you just like to complain...

you figure it out.

#466038 - 01/18/09 04:38 PM Re: Logic goes out the window at the LIRR [Re: B35 via Church]
Qtraindash Offline
TWU President

The train we were waiting for is also fairly empty, because it runs 15 minutes behind another eastbound.
Normally our train would have been more crowded with SUNY students, but classes are still on vacation right now.
As far as the toilet, I dont want to think about what was in there. I didn't want to get any closer than what I showed you, not without a bio-hazard suit anyway. sick
I think alot of you are missing the point. The late eastbound rolled into Huntington at 7:50pm, and our train would have rolled in just a few minutes later, at 7:52pm.
A few minute hold isn't even a "delay" in LIRR-speak, so I just dont see what the big deal would've been.

#466225 - 01/19/09 02:18 AM Re: Logic goes out the window at the LIRR [Re: Qtraindash]
Strong Offline
Booth Worker

if i missed ur point then i'm sorry, but what u were saying was kinda confusing.

were u talking about two diffrent eastbound trains?

and i need a refresher because its been almost ten or 11 years since i've been on a train and transferred at Huntington. does Huntington have two tracks and two platforms or two tracks and one platform

#466226 - 01/19/09 02:19 AM Re: Logic goes out the window at the LIRR [Re: Strong]
Qtraindash Offline
TWU President

Huntington has 2 platforms and 2 tracks.

#466250 - 01/19/09 06:19 AM Re: Logic goes out the window at the LIRR [Re: Qtraindash]
KnickyJ Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Maybe there was no space in the Huntington yard for the train you were on, or there was a train on the opposite track of your train in Huntington that would not have allowed your train to pass. If a train causes gridlock in that area, that's a no-no.

From what you described, the following westbound train (8:32 from PJ) would end up being delayed as well.

#466397 - 01/19/09 11:32 PM Re: Logic goes out the window at the LIRR [Re: Qtraindash]
Strong Offline
Booth Worker

well when i too a train to the city with my mom, two sisters and my uncle, the train that we rode on was also on the same track that the train we rode on to get to the city, and the same way when we went back to PJ.

by that i mean that the train dropped us off, then left and then the train to the city came a few seconds later on the same track. i don't know if they still do that, but if they do then thats prob why they held u. other then that idk.

#466790 - 01/22/09 04:36 PM Re: Logic goes out the window at the LIRR [Re: Strong]
Brighton Line Offline

Loc: Brooklyn,NY, US
It is PM so Eastbound has priority, LIRR will not hold a Eastbound for a West in the PM, plain and simple.

To quote Spock wink "The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few"

#471056 - 02/18/09 04:08 AM Re: Logic goes out the window at the LIRR [Re: Qtraindash]
Railoffroader2 Offline
Straphanger

Loc: Oceanside, NY
Your subject line is true at times hence "Logic Is Rarely Required"... but like it or not during evening rush hour "Eastbound" trains are superior therefore you sit and wait whether it makes sense or not.

Moderator:  Pacific Command 2524, Q89LCL 
Newest Members
Quinnz, Natethekid39, perrierberet, Meagan, zakir
4368 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4368 Members
20 Forums
26639 Topics
499347 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM