Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#262598 - 08/27/06 03:11 PM Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
cotb16 Offline
TWU President

Loc: Morrisania, Bronx
With the fact that Upper Manhattan has way too much depots (2 of them in the Bronx division), should we resurrect the Walnut Depot?

However, this depot would not be located in the same place as the old one. I am proposing a site on St. Ann's Avenue south of 132nd Street in the Harlem River Yard.

It can serve buses such as the 17, 21, 32, 33, 15, 6, and others.
Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 12/31/69 07:00 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#262599 - 08/27/06 03:13 PM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
cotb16 Offline
TWU President

With this change, not only new bus routes can be created, but Mother Clara Hale Depot would belong to the Manhattan division.

#262600 - 08/27/06 03:44 PM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
B35 via Church Offline
Federal Transit Administration Rep.

Loc: East Flatbush
Quote:
With all due respect... For What?

I dunno where you get this notion that new bus routes can & will be created just b/c a new depot goes up....

With your proposal, Hale would only have 3 routes (M1, M2, M7)... even 100th st. hosts more routes (4)... but all they have there are artics.... Hale has no artics...
-------

eh, in all honesty, I don't see a real need for this bro.... the West Farms depot isn't dilapidated (although a lot of their buses are filthy), neither is GunHill or Kingsbridge (didn't they recently renovate it?).... the Bx32 & Bx33 routes run in close proximity to Hale....

now Jamaica depot... that's dilapidated.. if anything, Queens division needs a(nother) new depot... hell, they're gettin one already (Maspeth, or w/e it'll be called)....

...and I read your poll... it's not about making S. Bronx "suffer"....

you figure it out.

#262601 - 08/27/06 05:01 PM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
cotb16 Offline
TWU President

Quote:
Originally posted by B35 via Church:
Quote:
With all due respect... For What?

I dunno where you get this notion that new bus routes can & will be created just b/c a new depot goes up....

With your proposal, Hale would only have 3 routes (M1, M2, M7)... even 100th st. hosts more routes (4)... but all they have there are artics.... Hale has no artics...
-------

eh, in all honesty, I don't see a real need for this bro.... the West Farms depot isn't dilapidated (although a lot of their buses are filthy), neither is GunHill or Kingsbridge (didn't they recently renovate it?).... the Bx32 & Bx33 routes run in close proximity to Hale....

now Jamaica depot... that's dilapidated.. if anything, Queens division needs a(nother) new depot... hell, they're gettin one already (Maspeth, or w/e it'll be called)....

...and I read your poll... it's not about making S. Bronx "suffer"....
First, I believe in one thing. We should not have the buses that serve one borough to be stored in another borough. So Bronx buses should be stored in a Bronx depot.

#262602 - 08/27/06 05:17 PM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
R-7 SEPTA Local Offline
Lord of the Post

Loc: Hudson River Valley, NY, USA o...
Then Lennin Reyes aka Cotb16 what your feelings about the East New York/Fresh Pond on Brooklyn Queens border serving both boroughs?

Eg. Q-24, Q-54, Q-56, Q-58, B-57, etc.

Not to mention the QBX-1 from College Point depot in Queens serving COOP City area in the Bronx etc.

#262603 - 08/27/06 05:18 PM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
Gtrain_hostage Offline
Mining Dynamite Expert

Loc: between birth and death
this would prove to be an increeible waste or resources.. so much so that it might actually happen!!! LOL.. its not like the buses have to travel for miles and miles, like say an ulmer pk bus working the x25... also as many runs are interlined, b/o run has him/her driving on two or more routes/day... this would be pointlesss... the 33 starts 10 blks south form hale, the 32, right across the 145th street bridge... so its not like these bsues are traveling incredibly great distances OOS- thus polluting air.. not creating revenue... hell, the bx6 which was out of amsterdam (til 9/03), had to travel almost 2 miles to start.... and the b51 in bklyn from eny has to travel a simlar distance... also even if teh depots were close to the line sthemselves, ulike mta bus- partic fromer green lines, NYCT DOB doesnt just put a bus in place respective to where the depot is along the line, so lets say that 126th st had the m98... its not gonnna go In svce at 125th just b/c teh depot happens to be close to the route at that point.. it would deadhead up to 193 or down to 34... so even if the depots in same borough the distance travelled by these buss partic when OOS is an utter waste.. further no new bx routes are going to be created... improved upon, perhaps,partic cross bx lines like the bx36.. but again that has little to do with constructing a new garage...
and 129 years of red tape the 2nd avenue subway is here!!! (uh sir acually only one station has actually been built we sorta overran budget, that trip, the strippers, u know) ahem Im sorry.we have a slight delay in sched. the final 9.1 of the total 9.14miles is to be finished in 2121 marking the 150th anniversary of original groundbreaking. Im pleased to unveil the first stop of what is the most ridiculous waste of resources in bureaucratic history"
- Ceremony for opening of 59thst complex and .04 mile built. complex will be used by Board of Ed, NYPD explosives training and Administraion for childrens Svces until the station is fully operational, (just in time for it to be obsolete)

#262604 - 08/28/06 11:21 AM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
B35 via Church Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cotb16:
First, I believe in one thing. We should not have the buses that serve one borough to be stored in another borough. So Bronx buses should be stored in a Bronx depot.
Dude, that's just as ignorant as saying "Bronx bus routes should only run in the Bronx"...... You do realize that Kingsbridge only has 1 Manhattan route, right (M100)? The rest are all Bronx routes, all 11 of them.... Kingsbridge Depot is "physically" located in Manhattan....

And lets take a route like the Bx15.... whose route runs right through the heart of Harlem.... If it were to terminate right dead @ The Hub, or somewhere in MottHaven, you'd be one of the first dudes saying the route needs an extension in Manhattan..... You'd find it real cumbersome to have to take the '6', one stop from 138th, to 125th....

A whole lotta things are considered when route(s) are concerned... and trying to keep them in their "home" borough isn't one of them..... Route mileage & "deadhead" mileage you can vouch for as being some of the things.....

So the sense I'm getting from your post, as far as you're concerned, screw the riders of the B51.... B39... Bx15 (gets real good ridership to/from manhattan... you know that man)... Q44 (do you realize how much ridership this gets in the Bronx?)... M60 (are you kidding?!?!!?)... B15.... the list goes on...

Or did you think having a new depot built automatically meant new routes be created? Not the case man.... like GTrain said, restructuring routes... possibly....

Do I think some of those Bx routes needs to be restructured? Yes.

Do I think Bronx Division needs a whole new depot? Absolutely not. That is a waste of resources.....

you figure it out.

#262605 - 08/29/06 02:22 PM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
B13 SPRING CRK GATEWAY MALL Offline

Loc: East Harlem
One thing you could do is split the runs, like they do with the B20 and what they did at one time with the Q44 and the Q32

#262606 - 09/02/06 04:41 PM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
Brooklyn67 Offline
MTA Executive

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by B13 SPRING CRK GATEWAY MALL:
One thing you could do is split the runs, like they do with the B20 and what they did at one time with the Q44 and the Q32
You can't split any route where one depot operates a fleet of articulated buses while the other operates standard 40-foot buses. It would create a headway and equipment disaster.

#262607 - 09/02/06 08:30 PM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
2BatteryPark5 Offline
Transport Workers Union Steward

The selfish part of me misses the old Walnut Bus Depot. I used to hang out in there with my dad when I was younger. I always recall the swing room being at the end of the long hall with the pool table among other things. Ahh the good old days.

I didn't think I would like the Coliseum afterwards but it was pretty cool. I didn't think it overtook Walnut though.

I can't stand Gun Hill, that whole depot seems to have a cut throat mentality.

Transit Blogger

#262608 - 09/03/06 02:16 AM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
(G) Train Offline
Straphanger

Loc: On the (G) Crosstown Local tra...
wat yu mean by cut-throat mentlity batterypark?

#262609 - 09/03/06 02:33 AM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
B35 via Church Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by (G) Train:
wat yu mean by cut-throat mentlity batterypark?
Yeah, I have the same question.... didn't know what exactly he was referring to....

you figure it out.

#262610 - 09/03/06 03:21 AM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
KingsbridgeBx9 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Glen Oaks
I really dont think the Walnut depot is necessary. If anything the Bx32 should be transfered to Kingsbridge Depot which is a lot closer than Hale. The Bx15 and 17 were just transfered from Gun Hill to West Farms so there is no point in switching again so soon. Eastern Queens definetly needs a new depot.

D| 6 AV EXP
D| WEST END EXP
D| CONEY ISLAND

#262611 - 09/03/06 05:03 AM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
2BatteryPark5 Offline

I don't want to really go into details for certain reasons. However in general the clique mentality, some people thinking they are bigshots, higher ups looking to write a driver up for the most ridiculous things, etc....

Transit Blogger

#262612 - 09/03/06 11:24 AM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
B35 via Church Offline

^^ Hate to say it like this, but at least they're doing their jobs.... some super's just kick back & don't do *expletive*....
-------

& aside from your Bx32 point (don't wanna make KB the equivalent of Gleason down in Brooklyn), I agree w/ everything else, Kingsbridge.....

you figure it out.

#262613 - 09/03/06 12:31 PM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
2BatteryPark5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 2BatteryPark5:
Quote:
Originally posted by B35 via Church:
^^ Hate to say it like this, but at least they're doing their jobs.... some super's just kick back & don't do *expletive*....
-------

& aside from your Bx32 point (don't wanna make KB the equivalent of Gleason down in Brooklyn), I agree w/ everything else, Kingsbridge.....
Well I know that they really aren't doing their job when the writeups are subjective as to who gets them.

I also don't see how actually being there & being seen before you are to report & end up possibly reporting not even a minute late is deserving of any complaint or writeup. The worst is when they know you are there & they give your run away for no damn good reason!

Transit Blogger

#262614 - 09/03/06 12:40 PM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
B35 via Church Offline

So that's your premise in all this... You're hinting those higher ups falsify/exaggerate complaints/write-ups.... figured I'd get it out of you one way or another laugh ...

& oh, I'm not saying they 'deserve' anything at all.... that is effed up if it's true...

you figure it out.

#262615 - 09/03/06 04:09 PM Re: Should we Resurrect old Walnut Depot?
(G) Train Offline
Straphanger

Loc: On the (G) Crosstown Local tra...
that suck, b/c Gun hill my favorite depot and i wuld luv to drive bx14.

Search

Newest Members
MDB, Nitania13, Quinnz, Natethekid39, perrierberet
4370 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
4370 Members
20 Forums
26644 Topics
499362 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM