Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182997 - 07/20/04 03:34 PM That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
The Joe Offline
Tourist

Loc: NYC
first let me introduce myself - since this us one of my first posts to this board - I'm that guy who somehow organized that photographers protest on june 6th (with a lot of help from a lot of peole who spread the word about it all over the place). I've loved both subways and photography for as long as i can remember, and have posted occasionally to Subtalk for just as long (or maybe longer? hehe!). I've been lurking here awhile and will probably be posting more in the future...

That said - onto the current topic: the pending photo ban.

The last I heard, the MTA Board was suppose to vote on the proposed photo ban in september, and I can only assume they will be sticking to that plan since no one I know of has has heard otherwise. Thus, The time is drawing closer... September is right around the corner. It'll be back to school time again, time for us to teach the public and perhaps even the MTA board that signing off on a ban of photography within the NYC Subway system will protect no one, harm tourism and the local economy with it, and prove once again that the MTA is completely out of touch with reality.

The June 6th protest gave them a black eye in terms of PR, but one black eye is not enough. I want to plot another protest, sometime around early september that will be larger and better organized than the last one. The last one was essentially thrown together within a week, week and half worth of time. fast enough to get media noticed, but far too fast to allow for better collaboration, planning, spreading of the word, etc. (I can't count the number of people who came up to me and said 'if I knew about this sooner I could have had 50 more people come with me"). This time around, I'd like to plan it better with whomever can give some time to help out. The better coordinated the plan, and the more people who volunteer to help out with whipping up a press release, creating a petition, spreading the word and sharing ideas, the bigger better and more effective it will be (not that all the effort that so many of you put into spreading the word last time was bad - it was great! I just know we can coordinate effort and get a lot more people out).

All of that said, if you're interested in helpin' out, drop me an email. I want to have one face to face meeting in the next week or two, then probably just plan it out online (email, web boards, chat... who has time to go to meetings all day anyway?!).

- the joe
thejoe [ -at- ] mtude.com
http://photorights.mtude.com
(shorter url, full domain likely coming soon...)

Email me, harass me, post back... I'll be here...

#182998 - 07/20/04 03:40 PM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome aboard Joe.

I'm sure you have our full support on this issue!

I'm also sure your next protest will be an even bigger success. Keey fighting the good fight!

#182999 - 07/20/04 05:49 PM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
Vlissengen Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: the quaint part of queens
Good work, The Joe, I'll be there.

I read that once you had that little stirup with the police at Union Square, you apparently had a little 'split' as where to go. Most of you decided to stay on the planned route, while others wanted to go to Coney Island! I'd think it'd be best to cover a much bigger route (obviously) and keep everyone together.

#183000 - 07/20/04 08:17 PM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
nexGEN Offline
Booth Worker

Loc: Woodside
Welcome!

Yeah, even if some of us won't be there, you can definitely bet that most if not all of us will be with you.

#183001 - 07/20/04 08:20 PM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
AL,THE Mayor. Offline
Transport Workers Union Steward

Loc: cape coral fl
welcome smile laugh wink burn scuba hula
surf

i am against that photo ban and peter kalikow i pissing me off about that photo ban

#183002 - 07/21/04 12:57 AM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
The Joe Offline
Tourist

Yikes. thanks for the warm welcome -

Yeah, at union sq. a bunch of people went off to coney island - I think mostly because a few days before some cop there gave Harry at nycrail.com a hassle about taking photos.

#183003 - 07/21/04 01:04 AM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
N.Y.C. Statehood In Mind Offline
NYC Council Transportation Committee Chairperson

Loc: Hartsdale, NY
Welcome to tha board, and I hope our cause is not in vain.

#183004 - 07/28/04 06:58 PM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
bdlaw Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: **.***.**.***
Seems appropos to BUMP this, given the subject matter...

"De oppresso liber"

#183005 - 07/28/04 06:59 PM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
On Permanent Hiatus Offline
Federal Transit Administration Rep.

Loc: Brooklyn
Quote:
Originally posted by bdlaw:
Seems appropos to BUMP this, given the subject matter...
Exactly.

#183006 - 11/26/04 02:31 PM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
B13 SPRING CRK GATEWAY MALL Offline

Loc: East Harlem
Time for the pre-emptive BUMP for the sake of the photo-hobbyists on here

#183007 - 11/26/04 03:04 PM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
Metro Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: Ludlow
Why? confused

I just linked the other thread to this one, which only was about a planned protest for September. The other thread is about the possibility of doing something soon.

#183008 - 11/26/04 04:40 PM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
The Joe Offline
Tourist

Well, time and fortunes change... Back towards the summer it seemed the proposal would fade away. By the time september came around, there was some press that they had dropped the proposal, so there seemed no need for it.

That all changed yesterday, obviously... and plans are already being laid to protest and more. I'll have some details later this evening...

#183009 - 11/26/04 05:52 PM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
Metro Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: Ludlow
Cool. When you return, please edit your lead post in this thread to change the month in the title.

#183010 - 11/26/04 05:55 PM Re: That wacky photo ban: planning for more action in september...
Bxm2 Offline
Transportation Alternatives Organizer

time for round 2 of the photo ban protests

Moderator:  Chemmy, RokuSix 
Newest Members
patrickoster, Nathan, cparke, Haresh, MadStrapper
4354 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4354 Members
20 Forums
26622 Topics
499262 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM