Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136094 - 05/17/03 08:16 AM I Hate The LIRR
2BatteryPark5 Offline
Transport Workers Union Steward

Sorry this is posted here but I figure I'd get the most responses here.

I can't stand the LIRR & I have more hatred for it ever since these new fares took affect.

First off I am on the Ronkonkoma branch & correct me if I'm wrong but I read awhile back that the Rokonkoma branch was the most heavily ridden. If that is the case why during non peak hours only one train leaves per hour when on other lines they have 2 or 3?

Secondly it should not take over an hour to get to Penn Station. I question the whole timetable of the LIRR when I see trains from Long Beach get to Penn in about an hour & a little over an hour from Brentwood. How is that possible, those two aren't close to have that short of difference.

The main that pisses me off with these new fares is the penalty when buying your ticket on the train. I knew it was there before but it seems higher now.

I took the train on Thursday to Penn Station from the Deer Park station because it was cheaper. I got there 7 minutes before the train was to arrive & I pull out my money to buy a ticket.

The machine outside was broken & the two machines inside were not taking cash. I get on the train & have to pay the penalty for buying my ticket on the train which I as well as others told them was unfair since one was down & the others took no money. They tell us to send in the ticket for a refund of the fee but said they can't guarantee we would get anything back. Why the hell not?

Why should us riders get punished for machines being down which are not our responsibility. Our responsibility is to get to the station with enough time to get a ticket if we need one & when we are unable to do so due to the LIRR why should we fit the bill. What if I or anyone else only had exact fair & couldn't afford the fee, would we be denied a ride because of their machines?

It is total bull**** & this just reaffirms why I have never liked the LIRR!

Transit Blogger

#136095 - 05/17/03 09:11 AM Re: I Hate The LIRR
Davy1031 Offline
TWU President

Loc: UES
Quote:
Originally posted by 2BatteryPark5:
The main that pisses me off with these new fares is the penalty when buying your ticket on the train. I knew it was there before but it seems higher now.
Probably because it is higher now (I think). But the main reason that I heard, is because they're actually making their c/r's charge the pentaly now. Unlike before, when hardly any c/r's would charge you that penalty fee

#136096 - 05/17/03 02:26 PM Re: I Hate The LIRR
Qtraindash Offline
TWU President

Loc: Nassau county,NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Davy1031:
Quote:
Originally posted by 2BatteryPark5:
Probably because it is higher now (I think). But the main reason that I heard, is because they're actually making their c/r's charge the pentaly now. Unlike before, when hardly any c/r's would charge you that penalty fee
That penalty fee should be rolled back. If the machines arent working why should you be punished?
Sadly, the MTA is really becoming quite the "ripoff artist". mad

#136097 - 05/17/03 07:48 PM Re: I Hate The LIRR
Davy1031 Offline
TWU President

Loc: UES
There was no type of human clerk there?

#136098 - 05/17/03 11:36 PM Re: I Hate The LIRR
Lucky027 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Nassau County
The LIRR really sucks. Some of the conductors there are really rude, harsh, and generally condescending. It's unfortunate, because on the MetroNorth, it's completely opposite. The staff, from my experience, is friendly, nice, and helpful.

The LIRR "on board surcharge" policy is a sham. Many of the machines don't work or, in the past before they dispensed more than $9.75, you were pretty much cornered. But I guess as long as the LIRR is under the MTA umbrella, there's no sign of improvement or positive change in the near future.

#136099 - 05/18/03 03:08 AM Re: I Hate The LIRR
transit buff Offline
NYC Council Transportation Committee Chairperson

Loc: Flushing,N.Y
The on board surcharge is bull---, it should be no more than a buck, if at all...i can see maybe rush hrs, when the trains are really crowded, and conductors are rushing to check tickets, but off peak trains (especially late at night), most times the conductors are doing jack 1/2 the time, theres no justification for this except at penn station(which has 24 hr ticket windows)

#136100 - 05/18/03 03:28 AM Re: I Hate The LIRR
QC2002 Offline
Straphanger

Loc: NYC
to combat the price, i do my best always to have a spare ticket in my pocket-- also i usually carry an off-peak 10 trip and if necessary pay the step-up to peak on the train (no penalty).

just a little comparison, i rode njt to trenton last week and the on-board fare is $5 more than the tvms.

#136101 - 05/18/03 03:38 AM Re: I Hate The LIRR
transit buff Offline
NYC Council Transportation Committee Chairperson

Loc: Flushing,N.Y
Good idea, the extra ticket thing...whoa NJT charges FIVE BUCKS ??? what a ripoff

#136102 - 05/18/03 03:47 AM Re: I Hate The LIRR
Gtrain_hostage Offline
Mining Dynamite Expert

Loc: between birth and death
main line which includes port jeff and ronkon train is bvery heavily used though i beileive babylon still beats out everything. there is weekend exp svce on the babylon line as well as late in the evening and middays.
with regard to the fare, i encountered the same with MNRR going from marble hill to ossinning, the onboard is a sham and MTA is a bureaucratic bully who shafts riders at every turn
ive seen pp, though buy tkts one zone short and tehn play sleep then magically wake up as train pulls in one or two stops into the new zone (esp headed towards NYC) seen on NJT and LIRR
and 129 years of red tape the 2nd avenue subway is here!!! (uh sir acually only one station has actually been built we sorta overran budget, that trip, the strippers, u know) ahem Im sorry.we have a slight delay in sched. the final 9.1 of the total 9.14miles is to be finished in 2121 marking the 150th anniversary of original groundbreaking. Im pleased to unveil the first stop of what is the most ridiculous waste of resources in bureaucratic history"
- Ceremony for opening of 59thst complex and .04 mile built. complex will be used by Board of Ed, NYPD explosives training and Administraion for childrens Svces until the station is fully operational, (just in time for it to be obsolete)

#136103 - 05/18/03 04:30 AM Re: I Hate The LIRR
2BatteryPark5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Davy1031:
There was no type of human clerk there?
There are no clerks at the Deer Park or Brentwood station. They have a station house with a newsstand in it & 2 ticket machines with a third one now being outside on the westbound platform as in the past after 8:30 the Brentwood station would automatically lock doors & you couldn't buy a ticket. I assume it was the same at Deer Park.

I've only physically been on the platform (for the Ronkonkoma line) at Penn Station, Jamaica, Farmingdale, Deer Park, Brentwood & Central Islip & of all these stations only Penn (obviously), Jamaica, & Farmingdale have a live person.

Transit Blogger

#136104 - 05/18/03 04:31 AM Re: I Hate The LIRR
2BatteryPark5 Offline

Just out of curiosity but is there anyplace to view the ridership #'s on each line?

Transit Blogger

#136105 - 05/18/03 04:33 AM Re: I Hate The LIRR
2BatteryPark5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky027:
The LIRR really sucks. Some of the conductors there are really rude, harsh, and generally condescending. It's unfortunate, because on the MetroNorth, it's completely opposite. The staff, from my experience, is friendly, nice, and helpful.

The LIRR "on board surcharge" policy is a sham. Many of the machines don't work or, in the past before they dispensed more than $9.75, you were pretty much cornered. But I guess as long as the LIRR is under the MTA umbrella, there's no sign of improvement or positive change in the near future.
I totally agree with you. I have seen the smug attitudes some of the ticket collectors have & I laugh considering they are acting like they are the **** when some of those people make more then them. I always find that funny.

I have had it out with a few & told some friends of mine who work for the LIRR about them & they weren't shocked, some just have that ******* quality about them known to the masses.

Transit Blogger

Moderator:  Chemmy, RokuSix 
Newest Members
Natethekid39, UBB_Support, perrierberet, Meagan, zakir
4367 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4367 Members
20 Forums
26633 Topics
499328 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM