Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119795 - 12/09/02 02:43 PM transit strike: how would it affect you?
grussian Offline
Tourist

Loc: Brooklyn, New York, USA
There's been a lot of discussion of whether there will be a transit strike and who would be to blame.

What I'd like to know is: How would a subway and bus strike affect you personally?

#119796 - 12/10/02 12:22 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
blenderhead Offline
Transport Workers Union Steward

Loc: Upper West Siiiiiiiiide!
i'd be screwed. i'd have to temporarily move back home.

#119797 - 12/10/02 12:30 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
jjay2002 Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: Far, far away.
No finals for me this year!!! And I'd hope it ended before the start of next semester or else, I have to go to a different school!

#119798 - 12/10/02 01:04 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Stan Bach Offline
Tourist

Loc: Queens
Quote:
Originally posted by grussian:
What I'd like to know is: How would a subway and bus strike affect you personally?[/QB]

I use the 71st/Continental Ave. station in Forest Hills, so I'd probably take the LIRR and walk from Penn Sta. to my job on 42nd St. & 1st Ave.

This will be expensive and more effort, but not crippling.

One question: I started my 30-day MetroCard on 12/2, before I knew about a possible strike. If the strike happens on 12/16, will I get a refund for the days of no service, or will the life of the card be extended after service is restored? It would be unfair, to say the least, for the MTA to penalize the union and keep unearned revenue.

While I suspect that some of Bloomberg's hysterical comments are posturing, this issue has underscored the vital nature of public transportation in NYC. Since there hasn't been a fare hike in several years, I'd have no problem with an increase that would allow a raise for transit workers. It's probably unreasonable to expect more subsidies. What I DON'T like is seeing cosmetic improvements like re-tiling (e.g., 42nd St/5-6th Ave.) being done while the MTA cries poverty. And does every staircase in the system really need new banisters?

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: Stan Bach ]

#119799 - 12/10/02 01:08 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
jjay2002 Offline
Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan Bach:
I use the 71st/Continental Ave. station in Forest Hills, so I'd probably take the LIRR and walk from Penn Sta. to my job on 42nd St. & 1st Ave.

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: Stan Bach ]

Isn't the LIRR ran by the MTA??? Aren't they planning a strike as well or is it a different union???

#119800 - 12/10/02 05:47 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
GothamMarket.com Offline
MTA Executive

Quote:
Originally posted by jjay2002:
Isn't the LIRR ran by the MTA??? Aren't they planning a strike as well or is it a different union???

Different union. There's a chance they may strike too, but they are not expected to.

#119801 - 12/10/02 09:49 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Granville Payne Ave. Offline
NYC Council Transportation Committee Chairperson

Loc: SE Brooklyn
This strike will screw my commute up. I need to go from Brooklyn to Staten Island. How am I supposed to get to my destination? Too far to walk or bike. If I take a cab there, I can't get back home. mad

#119802 - 12/10/02 09:56 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Gone. Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: Fresh Meadows
My commute is mighty screwed, as I have absolutely no feasible way to get to school. I would probably just stay home.

I hope this strike doesn't happen.
R.I.P. UID#566. The member number may be dead but the legacy will forever be eternal...

#119803 - 12/10/02 10:31 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
jjay2002 Offline
Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally posted by Furio:
Different union. There's a chance they may strike too, but they are not expected to.

Thank God, and they like their jobs anyway....they are nice friendly people who smile a lot smile...tell me the last time you saw an MTA employee smile!

#119804 - 12/10/02 10:50 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
P H A T O Dude Offline
Bus Driver

Loc: New York
see mr brian's post, he may not like the fact that we're in the same school but it's true....

no school yay. but i spoke to a school guard today and they said that if they're striking they'll open school 2 hors late, do they expect us to walk there or even BIKE there? cmon the board of ed has been smoking weird **** lately, first they extend our school day by 20 minutes and then they make us go to school 2 hours late? wtf? im not going.....

well it is technically possible to get there brian, WALK! don't know how, dont worry meet me in the intersection of woodhaven and metropolitan at 7:30 AM LOLz jk.

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: P H A T O Dude ]
Willy: Because when it comes, i'll be too busy looking good

DAMN V TRAIN!!! BRING THE OLD SERVICE PATTERN BACK!!!

#119805 - 12/10/02 11:42 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Metro Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: Ludlow
Quote:
Originally posted by Stan Bach:

One question: I started my 30-day MetroCard on 12/2, before I knew about a possible strike. If the strike happens on 12/16, will I get a refund for the days of no service, or will the life of the card be extended after service is restored? It would be unfair, to say the least, for the MTA to penalize the union and keep unearned revenue.

Uh-oh. I think you're out of luck, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Better yet, I'm hoping it is a moot point.

#119806 - 12/10/02 11:49 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Grand Concourse Offline
Lord of the Post

Loc: Manhattan
Yeah the whole thing about the schools being opened is a farce, I mean come on the majority of the ppl in my school come from Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and like myself upper Manhattan so how can it be opened and even for the guys who r w/in walkin range, what r they gonna do for class, just sit around n stuff .. pointless mad mad

#119807 - 12/11/02 11:42 AM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Metro Offline
New York State Governor

I just realized Gene did a double post. Someone should close the other one---it has over 80 posts.

#119808 - 12/11/02 12:38 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Uptown Offline
MTA Executive

Here's the other page on the topic, for reference...

continue here!

#119809 - 12/11/02 12:50 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Uptown Offline
MTA Executive

To continue from the other thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by GreatOne:
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know anyone was owed any special treatment even though this is a strike. I guess the TWU better get on the phone and send everyone a morning cupcake for their troubles.

ROFL! laugh

Good thing I wasn't drinking my coffee (bought from the Port Authority)... I would have sprayed it all over my computer screen!

GreatOne is right, though. There is nothing we can do about it, except plan what you should do to get to work/school. We have to go about our lives as much as possible, in order to keep the city from losing as much money.

So go to work. Go to school. Have your shoes shined. Buy a cup of coffee and a newspaper wherever you usually do. Get up early and walk/bike to wherever you need to go. You probably need the exercise anyway. (I know I do.)

Oh, let me revise that... If you can telecommute, then by all means - telecommute. (It's my plan if my client is ok with it.) Just get your cup of coffee in your neighborhood, rather than at work. laugh

#119810 - 12/11/02 01:12 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
biggunn01 Offline
Straphanger

Loc: from mattapan but live in manh...
well it would mean no work for me. But i could still get alot of my own personal work done at home if this happens. just riding the train today was crazy cuz the 1 train ahead of me just stoped. it messed up everthing this morning. i got to work and hour late. if they strie im just staying in the house.
wes
i'm pickin your brain cuz your insane/
don't need to know your name/game/or claim to fame/
i'm not to balme for shame that you will soon obtain/
just be careful next time i see you on the 1 train"

#119811 - 12/11/02 01:23 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Uptown Offline
MTA Executive

(aside to wes)

Please post more of your art! We really do appreciate it! smile

Just like we appreciate and need all the nice transit workers!

*** edit ***

Silly me! I didn't see your other post . Thanks, Wes! They're all really great!

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: UWSide ]

#119812 - 12/11/02 01:57 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
J A Offline
Straphanger

I read on SubTalk that Unlimited Ride Cards may be frozen in the case of a strike. It's in a newspaper, but I was too lazy to read the article.

SubTalk is here: www.nycsubway.org

#119813 - 12/11/02 04:48 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Uptown Offline
MTA Executive

Quote:
Originally posted by J A:
I read on SubTalk that Unlimited Ride Cards may be frozen in the case of a strike. It's in a newspaper, but I was too lazy to read the article.

That would be good. But I wonder if the MTA would really do that, considering the "budget deficit". Consider also that LI Buses, MNRR, and LIRR will still be running - and they use Metrocards as well. They may be able to program the 2 separately... but maybe not.

#119814 - 12/11/02 05:09 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Chemmy Offline

Loc: New York, NY
MTA States They Will Freeze Cards If A Strike Happens

They will freeze the cards - it's here on their website - read it here first!

#119815 - 12/11/02 05:23 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Uptown Offline
MTA Executive

Wow... I just tried that link and it took forever - without the pictures. And I'm on a T1 connection. The MTA's Web site must be slammed with hits right now.

#119816 - 12/11/02 05:34 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Metro Offline
New York State Governor

Quote:
Originally posted by UWSide:

continue here!
Thanks! I ran out of time this morning. shocked

#119817 - 12/11/02 08:09 PM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Vlissengen Offline
New York State Governor

Loc: the quaint part of queens
Getting back on topic, I ride QSC buses every weekday, so if a strike did happen, it would be delayed by a huge margin! With all those people having to take my bus, it'll be like when the Private Lines striked, except I'll be on a crowded Q65! shocked

#119818 - 12/12/02 12:36 AM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatOne2k1:
I am serious, if this continues, I will just tell the school kids to dip their 1/2 fare cards, run off the buses(or get kicked off) and use their transfers on ANOTHER bus as a way to get around the 1/2 fare problem. Whoops I think that I shouldn't have said it. Screw the MTA!

And this is productive, how exactly because I'm missing what this is supposed to accomplish?

Quote:
Take my advice take the 5, not the 4, you must be crazy to take the 4 unless you really are in a rush to get to work, or it is not that packed. Jerome Avenue needs another set of tracks and some stations underground to hold all of those people.

What are you talking about and where did this come from in relations to the topic? Either way when I'm going to work in the morning I'm not waiting in the train station for a 5 if a 4 comes first. I'm not there to play picky choosie games. When it's time to go to work, it's time to go to work so I'm getting on the first thing coming. Jerome is doing fine just the way it is just to add this on.

Quote:
Think 1980, 11 days workers only lost one days pay(I think), while others got screwed.

And here we are 12 years later operating under different rules and different standards. We spend a lot more money these days in comparison to 1980. The city stands to lose more money per day during a strike this year than in 1980. Of course.

Quote:
Come on, you have to be angry at being caught in the middle of this stuff.

Seriously I have more important things to concern myself with. I can either sit around and ***** all day about how there is no trains or buses running or I can go about my life trying to get things done until the workers return.

Caught in the middle? Is that what you believe. These people are fighting for your rights to be a New York City resident whether you want to see that fact or not. Pataki is trying to set this up so he can push himself into the national spotlight. He hopes the workers go on strike so he can attempt to break the union and show his power as a politician to his buddies in Washington for a future post in the White House. Why do you even think he said that he won't undercut the MTA when the MTA is under his control with him feeding state money into the organization to keep it running strong? He is setting himself up for some victory over the union so he can then appear at press conferences claiming the credit for a victory in the contract talks. Typical Pataki. Just like he screwed over Chinatown and denied them Empire Zoning when the city needs it more than any other upstate town. He won't be doing his buddies upstate like Bruno any favors by caving in to the TWU. Pataki is concerned about finishing his back door deals before he leaves the state office. Are you forgetting that this is the man who didn't say a word about a fare hike during the election and is all of the sudden claiming to be against it now? It's called protecting your political interest by making the foolish people believe that you are on their side.

Like I said before, I could care less about being angry over people fighting for their rights. Life is full if inconveniences and all I can do is roll with the punches and keep going. Sitting here being angry over something I can't control is grounds for being bitter which leads to whining. Obviously a very unproductive route if you really think about it.

#119819 - 12/12/02 01:47 AM Re: transit strike: how would it affect you?
MP Offline
MTA Executive

Loc: This is Kimball, as far as thi...
Quote:
Originally posted by chem_princess:
MTA States They Will Freeze Cards If A Strike Happens

They will freeze the cards - it's here on their website - read it here first!

...unless you use the card on a DOT franchise bus. Then it will expire as scheduled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chemmy, RokuSix 
Newest Members
Nitania13, Quinnz, Natethekid39, perrierberet, Meagan
4369 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4369 Members
20 Forums
26643 Topics
499360 Posts

Max Online: 464 @ 04/24/08 04:14 PM